Swearing in the dbz funimation dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Swearing in the dbz funimation dub?

Post by ssj4 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:23 am

Do you think the swearing in funimation dubs like Kai and ressurection F is necessary? Does anyone think Funimation is doing it to seem edgy and stuff like that?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Swearing in the dbz funimation dub?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:41 am

It' not exactly the same in their culture, but the original Japanese version does have cursing in it. So if it's done in the correct places, then it's being accurate, not "edgy".
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:02 am

Some mild swearing is fine.

Count me in the group of people who when they first saw fansubs years ago really thought the characters were dropping f-bombs left and right.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:20 am

ssj4 wrote:Do you think the swearing in funimation dubs like Kai and ressurection F is necessary? Does anyone think Funimation is doing it to seem edgy and stuff like that?
Yes, I do think it's necessary, and nope, I don't believe FUNimation's doing it just for the sake of being edgy. When one hears swearing in FUNimation's dubs nowadays, it's because there was swearing in the original Japanese version as well, and the dubs are trying to emulate that.

Granted, cursing in English and cursing in Japanese are two different things, and finding English curse words that are the "equivalent" of Japanese curse words is somewhat subjective. For example, right before Goku fires his final kamehameha that defeats Freeza on Namek, in Japanese he yells, "Bakayaro!" Here's how that was handled...

-FUNimation's Subtitles: "You stupid bastard!"
-FUNimation's Dubs (both DBZ and Kai): "You fool!"

Technically speaking, both are completely valid translations, and it's simply a matter of preference. Personally, I think Goku was angry enough that the word "bastard" was justified, and I would have loved to have heard Sean Schemmel's Goku yell that line.

Either way, FUNimation's not doing it to be edgy. They're doing it to be accurate. So, I've got no issue with it!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:10 pm

In all honesty, I think the Kai dub went a bit too far with the use of words like "damn" and "bastard". Occasionally using those words is fine, but using them too often feels out of place in a show that's geared towards kids. It sort of brings to mind some of the dialogue in 'Shadow the Hedgehog'.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:42 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Either way, FUNimation's not doing it to be edgy. They're doing it to be accurate. So, I've got no issue with it!
I kinda feel like they were originally doing it to be edgy in Kai and the uncut stuff because of how forced it felt, but it felt really natural and right in RoF. I hardly noticed it, but it just works in the movie.
Last edited by Thanos on Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote:In all honesty, I think the Kai dub went a bit too far with the use of words like "damn" and "bastard". Occasionally using those words is fine, but using them too often feels out of place in a show that's geared towards kids. It sort of brings to mind some of the dialogue in 'Shadow the Hedgehog'.
It may be a kids show, but it's a Japanese kids show. The general consensus seems to be that Japanese culture is more permissive than American culture when it comes to what kids can see and hear on TV. The show may be an international hit, but it is a show of Japanese origin made by Japanese people.

In addition, I'm having trouble recalling any instances--although I'm sure there probably are some that I just can't recall--where the Kai dub had swearing that wasn't already in the subtitles. And even if there were instances like that, there was ultimately still a little more swearing in the subtitles and there was in the dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:48 pm

WittyUsername wrote:It sort of brings to mind some of the dialogue in 'Shadow the Hedgehog'.
The big difference there is that FUNimation is doing it to be accurate, whereas Sega was doing it to be edgy.

There are lines in the Japanese version that could be (and arguably should be) translated as mild curse words.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:58 pm

There was a time when DBZ in the US was extremely censored and people didn't even realize how much blood and cursing was in the original version. Now people are thinking FUNi added cursing to be edgy? :lol:
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:09 pm

If it's in the Japanese scripts then fine by me. It's not like they are dropping F bombs all of the time and having Vegeta say the N word.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm not offended by any of the swear words used in the subtitle translations or the dubs, but anyone who says they're "necessary" is kidding themselves.

And for the people who said it, no, they're not swearing in the Japanese version. All the "bakayarou"s and "kuso"s can be translated tamely. It's up to the translator. I actually admire some of the restraint Steve Simmons exercised while he was translating the series. I remember one of Goten's "Kuso!" lines (used in a very serious context) being translated as "Rats!" The dub isn't any less accurate for avoiding swear words. There are far more important things to adapt properly.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:00 pm

It's weird. I don't think the series needs it, but FUNimation is... strange about it. What I mean is, Kai doesn't unnatural with its swearing, but then you look at the Nicktoons/CW versions that are supposedly "censored"... But they completely work. If no one told you that you were watching a version of the show that censored its dialog, you would never guess. Check out this thing Tanooki Kuriboh did. There's pretty much nothing wrong with any of those "censored" lines, so, in a way, it does feel unnecessary.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:14 pm

B wrote:It's weird. I don't think the series needs it, but FUNimation is... strange about it. What I mean is, Kai doesn't unnatural with its swearing, but then you look at the Nicktoons/CW versions that are supposedly "censored"... But they completely work. If no one told you that you were watching a version of the show that censored its dialog, you would never guess. Check out this thing Tanooki Kuriboh did. There's pretty much nothing wrong with any of those "censored" lines, so, in a way, it does feel unnecessary.
I felt the same way about "Season Three" back in 1999. The classic example I always point back to is Vegeta's "freakin' genius!" line (which was changed to "absolute genius!" in the edited/Toonami version). There are certainly times I've felt they added something just so they could say they have an "uncut" version.

That all being said, every instance I've heard (which... is... admittedly not much 'cuz of Kai I only watched the first two-disc set for review, spot checked random episodes, and then saw the two new movies)... sounds pretty OK and in line with the Japanese script.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Swearing is fine if it works within the context of the scene it will be used in. But just throwing out words like "Damn", "Bastard" or "Shit" every other minute won't fly by me.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:01 pm

They don't actually say "shit" in the dub, except on one odd occasion on Namek.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 pm

Puto wrote:They don't actually say "shit" in the dub, except on one odd occasion on Namek.
Really? I don't remember that, which episode was that?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:11 am

Edgy? That's not edgy, that's how it's supposed to be.On the other hand, Z's dub narrator and Falconer music? Now, THAT'S edgy.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:14 am

What's wrong with Z's narrator? They re-recorded over the old DBZ narrator from Season 3.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:46 am

No he's talking about the monster truck announcer guy.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:51 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Puto wrote:They don't actually say "shit" in the dub, except on one odd occasion on Namek.
Really? I don't remember that, which episode was that?
Gohan and Kuririn against Gurd in Kai. Gurd says "Shit, I better bust out my secret weapon".
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.