Did Spopovitch Fight Mr. Satan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Did Spopovitch Fight Mr. Satan?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:58 pm

You know how sometimes you do your best to keep from conflating different continuities together, but somehow it just happens despite your best efforts? Well, I'm watching Z episode 216 right now, and it talks about how Spopovitch lost to Mr. Satan at the 24th Budoukai. The Dragon Book plays it up as well, and I definitely remember the TV series adding a flashback to it at some point in the near future. But while I know that flashback was anime-only, I could have sworn the actual information was in the manga, but I can't find any allusion to it anywhere. Viz just has the announcer say, while introducing Spopovitch, that he competed and lost but didn't give any details as to who. Is that a bit of lost info from Viz, or is it just info that doesn't exist in the manga, period?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Re: Did Spopovitch Fight Mr. Satan?

Post by Shnuki » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:21 pm

I think it doesn't exist, yeah. I checked the Polish edition of the manga and Mr. Satan doesn't even seem to know him (at first he thought it might've been Gohan who beat Videl up) and just assures his daughter that he'll beat Spopovitch later.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:53 pm

Daizenshuu 2 has a list of all the Battles in the series, including ones that don't involve the Z-Fighters like Tao Pai Pai verse Bora, and it has no mention of it. Even in the description of Videl's fight with Spopovitch, there was no mention of him having a past with her father.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:41 am

It is indeed something added in the anime. In the manga it's just noted that he lost in the first round of the last tournament.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:00 am

It's a nice addition to the Anime, as it shows the power that the Majin possession can unleash... and an extra Mr Satan scene is always welcome imo :D

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:53 pm

Herms wrote:It is indeed something added in the anime. In the manga it's just noted that he lost in the first round of the last tournament.
So, in that case, does that make the flashback scene in the anime a bit nonsensical? Doesn't Mr. Satan automatically qualify for the final round as champion(and thus wouldn't be fighting at all until the end), or am I also conflating continuities/dubs? Does the anime remove that bit of first-round loss info and replace it with "lost to Mr. Satan in indeterminable round"?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:40 pm

B wrote:So, in that case, does that make the flashback scene in the anime a bit nonsensical? Doesn't Mr. Satan automatically qualify for the final round as champion(and thus wouldn't be fighting at all until the end), or am I also conflating continuities/dubs? Does the anime remove that bit of first-round loss info and replace it with "lost to Mr. Satan in indeterminable round"?
That's only introduced (that we see) at the End of Z, during the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai. Back at the 25th, during Buu, he has to fight like everyone else and was scheduled to face 18 before the tournament collapsed and they resorted to the battle royal.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Angelus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Herms wrote:It is indeed something added in the anime. In the manga it's just noted that he lost in the first round of the last tournament.
Well damn, he didn't even pass the preliminaries then. XD

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Angelus wrote:
Well damn, he didn't even pass the preliminaries then. XD
I assumed first round meant the first public round (did they use punch machines in the unseen tournament or not?), not the first prelim round, but I could be wrong.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:15 pm

irreality wrote:I assumed first round meant the first public round (did they use punch machines in the unseen tournament or not?), not the first prelim round, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, should be first round of the main tournament. Videl talks about Mister Satan having set a long-standing punch machine record of 139 (while at that current tournament he only manages 137), so presumably they started using the punch machine back at the unseen tournament.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:04 pm

I'm always a little bothered by something - 24th Tenkaichi Budokai? Goku won the 23rd (it was the 23rd right?) and supposedly that was the last one until the Cell Games. However, Mr. Satan is already some sort of World Champion. Okay, fine, he's a "martial arts" champion, not necessarily a Tenkaichi Budokai winner. Then, we fast forward to seven years later and suddenly there's another one. Now yeah, the 24th Tenkaichi Budokai could have happened in the seven year gap, but why in the blue hell didn't Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Yamucha, or even Yajirobe enter it and just beat Mr. Satan? Surely they would have, right? There's zero reason for them not to enter, especially since the Saiyans sat it out. If the Saiyans didn't sit it out, then... yeah.

I was always bothered by this supposed 24th Tenkaichi Budokai.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:18 pm

The announcer, in the Buu Arc, states that the last tournament was 7 years prior, and the supplemental timelines always stick the tournaments on the same day (May 7th). Cell believed the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai was the last one before he announced his tournament, but the 24th was officially held 5 days before 19 and 20 show up. Our heroes had more important things on their minds.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:21 pm

During the Boo arc the last tournament is said to have been seven years ago, and of course the Cell Games are also said to be seven years ago, so it seems that the Cell Games and 24th tournament must have happened fairly close to one another. Cell talks about "reviving" the TB with his Cell Games, but he's from a couple decades in the future and wouldn't necessarily know the status of the tournament in the present era. So overall, it seems like in the Boo arc Toriyama's intention is to retcon things so that the reason Satan was known as the "world champion" back at the Cell Games was because he had recently won the TB.

As for why none of the Z Warriors entered the 24th TB, I guess they just lost track of the tournament after all those years, or maybe were no longer interested.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Herms wrote:Yeah, should be first round of the main tournament. Videl talks about Mister Satan having set a long-standing punch machine record of 139 (while at that current tournament he only manages 137), so presumably they started using the punch machine back at the unseen tournament.
When does Videl say that? I don't recall that in either the manga or the anime.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:When does Videl say that? I don't recall that in either the manga or the anime.
Start of chapter 432 (should be DBZ chapter 238). Videl tells Gohan about the amazing group who all scored around 200 despite her dad's high record since "way back" being 139...then Goku comes over to greet Gohan, who has to explain to Videl about his dad being dead but back for one day.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:05 am

Herms wrote:As for why none of the Z Warriors entered the 24th TB, I guess they just lost track of the tournament after all those years, or maybe were no longer interested.
I don't think they were interested, even in the 25th TB, they all joined because Gohan told them, who was forced by Videl, and in the 28th TB, they all joined because Goku told them, who joined because of Oob.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:29 pm

Yet another thing Death Battle got wrong, then...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147