Most Well-Written Character in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Most Well-Written Character in Dragon Ball

Post by HourglassIndigo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:37 pm

I've always loved the cast of characters in Dragon Ball. Every character brought something new to the table (for the most part) and each was likable in their own way. Though, one thing has been bugging me, and that's the way they are written. A lot of times I, and other fans alike, can't tell whether or not a character is developing or being portrayed inconsistently, like Gohan. So who do you think is the most well written and consistent character in the series? Being consistent doesn't necessarily mean non-developing, but that they never act extremely out of character.

In my opinion it's either Vegeta or Piccolo. Both started as heartless villains in their respective sagas, but through events they experienced they grew to become respectable. Plus their character arcs both had major payoff (Piccolo's sacrifice for Gohan and Vegeta's final atonement). Who do you guys think the most well-written character in the series is?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Most Well-Written Character in Dragon Ball

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Yajirobe and Oolong are the most consistent characters, and Piccolo is the best written.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Krillin is the best written. He went from an unsuccessful bully meeting Goku, to leading a 3 man team on Namek, he's the only character besides Bulma and Goku that we know about his life before coming to Master Roshi, he exhibits a wide range of emotions, can do goofy and serious scenes and overall has the best personality and outlook for someone who's died three times.

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Post by HourglassIndigo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:52 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Krillin is the best written. He went from an unsuccessful bully meeting Goku, to leading a 3 man team on Namek, he's the only character besides Bulma and Goku that we know about his life before coming to Master Roshi, he exhibits a wide range of emotions, can do goofy and serious scenes and overall the best personality and outlook for someone who's died three times.
I agree, Krillin honestly gets a bad rap. He may have died a few times, but honestly he's a lot more useful than a lot of the other Z fighters like Yamcha, Chiaotzu, and Roshi. He actively helps the Z fighters as much as he can, despite the risk. He's pretty awesome if you ask me.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:13 am

Yeah I'm going to go for Krillin for best written too. His character and development is consistent throughout the entire series and he's a major character in every arc. Well at least until the Buu arc where he starts to fade to the sidelines, but even till then he's fairly important.

His friendship with Goku as a kid, then with Gohan in DBZ was done perfectly.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:47 am

Very interesting question, and one that is tough to answer. I agree with many here that Krillin is up there for sure. Piccolo and Vegeta are also up there for their respective character arcs.

The most well-written villain, in my opinion, is probably Freeza. He destroyed Planet Vegeta and essentially set the series in motion. There's a lot going on for the psychology of his character, including how he's more like a powerful spoiled brat who puts on the facade of someone who is dignified. There's more to him, but it would take a lot of time and space haha.

Tenshinhan's arc in Dragon Ball was pretty darn good, but he was underutilized post Saiyan saga save for his moment against Semi Perfect Cell.

I'd say that Gohan would definitely be a contender if we are talking pre Boo. Toriyama did a good job building up to Gohan defeating Cell. We see a scared little boy thrown into a harsh world where he's constantly in danger. He has this hidden power that sometimes reveals itself when he's in peril, but he never allowed himself to simply let go. He's not a fighter, he doesn't want to hurt anyone if he can help it. When #16 died, Gohan finally let everything go and we finally see him unleash the power we all knew he had. The final beam struggle with Cell showed Gohan that he had so much greatness inside of him that was limited only by his lack of confidence. I'm not someone who thinks that Gohan is a ruined character, but I still feel like he took steps backward in the development of his personality after the Cell arc. Everything after that was just all over the place for his character (Except for the Great Saiyaman stuff, I love dorky Gohan).
Last edited by Wezenheim on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:01 am

I feel Vegeta has the best character arc in the Z portion if you ask me. Gohan has a great arc as well until the Cell Game.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:19 am

Geekdom101 wrote:I feel Vegeta has the best character arc in the Z portion if you ask me. Gohan has a great arc as well until the Cell Game.
I do believe that in Z as a whole Vegeta probably did have the most intriguing development throughout each saga. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I actually didn't really like Vegeta all that much until the Boo saga, where I'd argue that he actually stole the show (perhaps even more so than when he took out a bunch of people on Namek). As much as I like Super, it was really nice when I believed that Vegeta finally just let the Goku thing go after the fight with Boo. Seeing Vegeta mellow out was awesome and made me glad that the Boo saga existed.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:47 am

Vegeta, Krillin, or Gohan up till the Android/Cell Saga.

The worst is Kaioshits...
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:05 am

Funi dub Goku. You cannot destroy what he represents.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:19 am

Krillin, Vegeta, or Piccolo I'd say. They each have the most depth, believability, and change without sacrificing their entertaining qualities. It could be said they got better as time went on. Sure Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and Chaozu also grew, but Tenshinhan got more boring overtime. Chaozu was arguably the quickest character to become boring and worthless. Krillin was and always seemed to be the ultimate underdog. The most sympathetic character. Piccolo and Vegeta I'd say would be good simply to see how they've grown and went from despicable bad guys, to good guys. Though Piccolo kinda just became...a guy who is just there which makes him dull now since he doesn't really offer much. Vegeta I find pretty dull as a good guy too. His ruthless self is more interesting to see where he'd go compared to his tame goofy current self. Krillin is still the ultimate sympathizer so I always hope the best for him.

Gohan had potential just like in the series, and it was totally botched, just like how he seems to handle things in the series. Goku was an interesting character til he started to completely adapt to his surroundings, and never really progressed much after the Freeza arc I think. Now he's super dull as he's simply Goku and he'll never really have an experience that will bring interesting character progression again. So he pretty much loses out to the characters who are willing to grow and progress. Though to some Goku remaining how he is, is exactly why they like him so much. I personally can't stand a character that won't progress.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:29 am

Master Roshi throughout the original Dragonball was fantastically written. Aside from his funny personality, the fact that he was Goku and Krillin's mentor and taught them everything they know, then went undercover in the tournaments as Jackie Chun to beat them was great. I also loved his speech to Tien trying to get him to change his ways. Finally his role in the King Piccolo arc where he's willing to sacrifice himself to save the world was brilliant. Master Roshi's death is one of the best of the series.

Sure in DBZ he's just comic relief, but everything up till when Radditz shows up makes him one of the best written characters. He's also the funniest character in the series.

Vaughngief
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vaughngief » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:24 am

It's easily Vegeta for me. Dude wanted to kill everyone when he first showed up and now he's apart of the main cast. He subtly developed into Earth's culture over the course of the series. He's one of the best examples of how to make an evil character good. Other characters worth mentioning though?

Piccolo - Same reasoning as Vegeta, but to a lesser extent. His role as the mentor was always well done and him first coming Namek was cool. You can tell he was fascinated and overjoyed to be on the planet his race was from.

Bardock - Not so much a good to bad kind of story, but more redemption. Even though he had one TV special his actual character was awesome. The last stand against Freeza and his army is still one of the most memorable moments in the franchise. Killing him off for good is one of the biggest waste of potential in the series next to Raditz. Might be for the better though I suppose.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:39 am

Easily Hercule.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:42 am

Lord Exor wrote:Easily (the H-word).
You know what? I'm kind of inclined to agree a bit. While I wouldn't say he's the best written, Mr. Satan is actually a pretty interestingly written character. He's a guy who was originally shown off as this arrogant jerk one-off character who seemed to actually believe he's the strongest guy in the world. But for some reason Toriyama decided to do more with him to develop him and make him a surprisingly interesting and likable character.

He get's humiliated by Cell and the main characters which pretty much scars him for life. Despite this, he still shows some bravery and honor when he encounters #16 who urges him to help him 'awaken' Gohan. However, once Cell is actually beaten, he becomes a conman who brilliantly deceives the world into believing that he's some sort of superhuman martial artist and maintains this ruse for what will probably be his entire life. Eventually he is forced to become acquainted with the very people he feared and despite the fact that these same people originally thought very little of him, he kind of proves them wrong by befriending Boo and helping save Earth from Boo. Eventually the very boy he indirectly helped beat Cell married his daughter and he became part of the very people he so feared.

Mr. Satan is shown to be a showman and a braggart and a coward, but he's also shown to surprisingly very reliable and honorable and kind. He begs Vegeta to spare Boo's life despite the fact that Boo is very dangerous, he gives Goku money because he felt that Goku deserved it more than him, and he willingly acts as focus of attention whenever a major fight takes place though this may actually be more just due to the fact that he craves the attention.

Mr. Satan is a great, flawed character who I feel has become a great staple in the world of Dragon Ball. He's not strong or smart, but his charisma shines through enough to where he's personally become one of my favorite characters.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:16 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Vegeta, Krillin, or Gohan up till the Android/Cell Saga.

The worst is Kaioshits...
Who is Kaioshits? Do you mean Kaioshin? That's surprising to hear because I can't think of why you'd think he is the worst.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:37 am

I'd have to agree with Kuririn. There's something to be said about his ability to stick around in the main cast for so long even after being drastically left behind in terms of power. He's also easily the most relateable character in the franchise, though I could be biased there obviously.

Beyond him though, I'd honestly have to say Goku actually. Let's face it, when you step back and kind of look at the character from a different view, the guy is kind of an asshole. But somehow, he manages to be the most endearing, fun-loving, enjoyable asshole you're ever likely to meet. At least for me, his antics always just make me either facepalm or just shake my head, thinking 'DAMMIT Goku', but I'm smiling the entire time. There's something about the way he's written that just makes it all work.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:00 pm

The long standing characters hold a huge advantage. It has to be between Goku, Kuririn and Bulma. Their growth has been organic, almost invisible if one's not paying attention. In contrast with, for example, Vegeta - a great character - who had his struggles and transformation "right in our faces". Piccolo was never truly evil, he had a lighting of heart because of Gohan, but he mostly just absorbed traits from Nail and Kami; stacking and suppressing his own.

I'll give it to Goku, victory by having more exposure and being the driving force in early Dragon Ball, were we can observe his personality closely.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:15 pm

I'll say Krillin's for being the most natural and the one that's stuck with Mister Satan being a close second. Goku and Vegeta are just meandering like they're in a universe run by Kevin Fiege, Piccolo's development isn't really earned at all in the manga and the rest didn't get much to begin with.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Gohan is also entirely well written, its just that fans expectations for him didn't match the creators vision. I do think he should have been around to help the final defeat of Kid Buu, but he was still handled well throughout the Buu saga up to that point.