Mister Robot episode (Plus a funny theory)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Mister Robot episode (Plus a funny theory)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:15 pm

How do you feel about the Mister Robot episode? Its a filler episode that was skipped by Funimation (I'm not maligning them, I wanted to note this to avoid confusion) that is also Masako Nozawa's favorite episode. I think its a really lovely episode too.

...And it just occured to me (Like this second) that this episode could be a joke explanation for SJJ2 Gohan, he REALLY gets attached to living machines.

...I know, bad joke. Ignore it and just discuss the episode.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Draconic
I Live Here

Re: Mister Robot episode (Plus a funny theory)

Post by Draconic » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:46 pm

I just watched it last week as I am binge watching everything from the start and found it terrible. It is this kind of filler that I hate, where they are neither funny, nor interesting. Sure, it is kinda heartwarming and puting it into perspective with Gohan's SSJ2 transformation it kinda gains relevance, but it is really boring. The desing of the robot is bland, the scenery is a boring cave and that's really it. Nothing to write home about.
Gohan is cute, at least, but really, he always is.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:45 pm

Are you sure it was skipped? I remember seeing it dubbed on TV.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:55 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Are you sure it was skipped? I remember seeing it dubbed on TV.
If you did, it was FUNimation's in-house re-dub. They skipped it when they were still using the Ocean cast, and the original Japanese version of the scene (with English subtitles) actually appears as a clip in the "Deleted Scenes" section of one of the uncut Pioneer/Ocean movie dub DVDs.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:03 pm

I actually really liked it, from what I can remember. I should watch it again at some point...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:27 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Are you sure it was skipped? I remember seeing it dubbed on TV.
What TheBlackPaladin says. Nothing is skipped nowadays. Everything from Z is released. But back in the day, they ultimately cut out 15 episodes' worth of material from the Saiyan and Freeza arcs, and, aside from about a minute and a half of footage (nothing to do with the main plot of the episode), all of the robot episode was among it.

As for the question, yes, I really like it. It's one of my favorites. The animation is fantastic, as I'm already a huge fan of Aoshima's work and wish he hadn't left the series so early on. And the story is just so nice and emotional. I admit Nozawa's performance at the end makes me tear up a bit, and I love the piece of music that plays as Gohan tearfully walks away.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Its decent, but redundant since they do the same story with Gohan losing his dinosaur friend in the very next episode.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:50 pm

I seem to recall them initially skipping the robot episode because it was thematically the same as the dinosaur one. Did anyone ever come out and actually say that, or am I just making it up?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:53 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I seem to recall them initially skipping the robot episode because it was thematically the same as the dinosaur one. Did anyone ever come out and actually say that, or am I just making it up?
The Saiyan Saga was edited to a 26 episode season, which is the standard length of episodes for American cartoons. They were probably just trying to get rid of pointless episodes and it probably felt redundant compared to the dinosaur one.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:54 pm

RE: Kamiccolo9

I've never heard anyone officially state it, but I can certainly believe that might be the case. I've thought that myself. And since there's more action and scenes of Gohan fending for himself in the dinosaur episode, I can see why they would choose that one over this one.
precita wrote:Its decent, but redundant since they do the same story with Gohan losing his dinosaur friend in the very next episode.
Technically, wouldn't that make the dinosaur episode redundant instead?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:07 pm

I came in here thinking you were some how connecting DB to a episode of Mr. Robot. Now I am disappointed.... I've never thought much about that episode but I guess that is a decent little theory.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:42 pm

They didn't actually skip the episode. They just didn't have the robot plot. They had the beginning and the very end with the stuff with the dinosaur. In fact it actually fits well there, especially with the narrator's speech about how nature is harsh but you have to move forward. Heck, don't know his name, but DBZ's narrator during the first 2 seasons was pretty good.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:50 pm

I thought it was better then the dinosaur episode.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:29 am

This episode is HUUUUUUUUGE in Latin american circles. The feels the feels.

The episode with the dinosaur and Gohan always makes ME emotional... That filler is some of my favorite stuff in the entire series.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:28 pm

I like this episode and the dinosaur one, but I hate that one where Gohan tries to escape following the river, but ends up at the same spot and realizes he is in an island.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:This episode is HUUUUUUUUGE in Latin american circles. The feels the feels.

The episode with the dinosaur and Gohan always makes ME emotional... That filler is some of my favorite stuff in the entire series.
What episode is this? Is this Pre-Vegeta/Nappa?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:55 pm

successoroffate wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:This episode is HUUUUUUUUGE in Latin american circles. The feels the feels.

What episode is this? Is this Pre-Vegeta/Nappa?
Yup. DBZ Episode 9.
I don't doubt that. The voice that Laura Torres uses for Gohan is one of the most frigging adorable cartoon kid voices I've ever heard.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:07 pm

One of the high point in terms of filler episodes in the entire anime. Just a really well told and heartwarming story. I'm a bit biased though, because I love the Saiyan arc filler, specifically Gohan's Training/Survival filler episodes.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:02 pm

A lot of the Saiyan saga filler is very similar to Dragonball, so those who like Dragonball's adventure feel should love the Saiyan saga fillers.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Just saw the episode again...God I remember now. It was very depressing. This is as depressing as The Walking Dead two weeks ago with the whole "I've come to believe that all life is precious."
The Robot words: " Even if you're alone, you must not cry. Do not depend on others, you must try to survive on your own."

I'm sad now :'(
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.