Biggest exageration by fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Re: Biggest exageration by fans?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:23 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:No need to be so hostile. I just felt it merited mentioning since just because you wouldn't find SAO to have good writing, doesn't mean someone else couldn't. I don't have a horse in the race either way, so to speak, as I haven't seen that series yet.
I wasn't being hostile. I didn't even question his taste to begin with.

Well to be fair you corrected my opinion by saying what I thought was good writing was bad writing, I don't get the point in that. Then you said no shit to him. I know disrespect wasn't your goal but you can see how it looks rather crude from a point of view. And as this is txt it's easy sometimes to not get intentions at times (like you cant detect sarcasm or sincerity for examples.)
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:32 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:What anime does have good writing, in your opinion? Can't say I've watched that many non-mainstream stuff to know. =P
Monster is as close to perfection when it comes to anime as you're gonna get. Shounen-wise, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
Kenshin is pretty good, discounting the later filler. I didn't find much fault with Inuyasha, either.

Not to mention, both of those have far better characterization than Dragon Ball, as well.
I also prefer Inuyasha over DB.

My favorite series is Kimagure Orange Road but it's not really a Shonen Battle series.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:27 am

I think people exaggerate Chi-Chi's selfishness. Yes, it's very selfish of her to say that education is more important than saving the world, but people are ignoring the fact that Chi-chi wasn't selfish enough to the point of letting enemies who are a threat to the universe become strong. Her selfishness never caused any terrible thing to happen, like the Earth blowing up, people getting killed, etc. The blatant favoritism in the fando is the reason why I left for a long time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:32 am

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:I think people exaggerate Chi-Chi's selfishness. Yes, it's very selfish of her to say that education is more important than saving the world, but people are ignoring the fact that Chi-chi wasn't selfish enough to the point of letting enemies who are a threat to the universe become strong. Her selfishness never caused any terrible thing to happen, like the Earth blowing up, people getting killed, etc. The blatant favoritism in the fando is the reason why I left for a long time.
What do you mean by blantant favoritism?

I get it, she's not as bad, but she's also not as interesting and the shrillness of her complaining can get grating, though it's more prevalent in the anime. So yes, morally, her hands are cleaner than Goku's, but she's not as interesting. People watch fighting anime for the fighting, even if the characters are reckless.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:34 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:And 'good writing' is something that at least on some level is a matter of opinion - what one person considers good writing is not always going to be what another person considers it. To bring this back to Dragon Ball, I guess I'd say it has...'adequate' to 'pretty good' writing. It's enjoyable - heck, I'm here aren't I? - which is what matters the most at the end of the day to me, but I'm under no delusions that it's the most seamlessly written story I've ever enjoyed either.
Well, you don't necessarily have to think Dragon Ball is good to enjoy the series. My opinion on DB's quality has been decreasing ever since I joined Kanzenshuu, as I watch other anime and as my critical thinking continues to evolve. I still think it's an above average series, I'd maybe even class it as "good", but it's no longer the epic masterpiece that I once thought it was. And you know what the craziest thing is? I love it more than ever now, even when I acknowledge it has so, so many flaws.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:09 am

Doctor. wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:And 'good writing' is something that at least on some level is a matter of opinion - what one person considers good writing is not always going to be what another person considers it. To bring this back to Dragon Ball, I guess I'd say it has...'adequate' to 'pretty good' writing. It's enjoyable - heck, I'm here aren't I? - which is what matters the most at the end of the day to me, but I'm under no delusions that it's the most seamlessly written story I've ever enjoyed either.
Well, you don't necessarily have to think Dragon Ball is good to enjoy the series. My opinion on DB's quality has been decreasing ever since I joined Kanzenshuu, as I watch other anime and as my critical thinking continues to evolve. I still think it's an above average series, I'd maybe even class it as "good", but it's no longer the epic masterpiece that I once thought it was. And you know what the craziest thing is? I love it more than ever now, even when I acknowledge it has so, so many flaws.
I'm in the same boat. The holes are more apparent than they were in my teens, but I still enjoy the series a lot and have even gained a greater appreciation for certain aspects.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:11 pm

ABED wrote:
MediaFanGirl93 wrote:I think people exaggerate Chi-Chi's selfishness. Yes, it's very selfish of her to say that education is more important than saving the world, but people are ignoring the fact that Chi-chi wasn't selfish enough to the point of letting enemies who are a threat to the universe become strong. Her selfishness never caused any terrible thing to happen, like the Earth blowing up, people getting killed, etc. The blatant favoritism in the fando is the reason why I left for a long time.

I get it, she's not as bad, but she's also not as interesting and the shrillness of her complaining can get grating, though it's more prevalent in the anime. So yes, morally, her hands are cleaner than Goku's, but she's not as interesting. People watch fighting anime for the fighting, even if the characters are reckless.

Trust me, I am not that AOTA guy you keep arguing with. When I want favoritism, I meant to say "comparing scenarios." I hate her complaining too, to the point that I have to mute the volume on my computer whenever she yells.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:41 pm

I wouldn't say this is the biggest exaggeration, but fans tend to exaggerate how bad the pronunciations are when they quote the Speedy dub. Obviously they mispronounce things ("we shall wander shellfish-ly in the universe"), but what is point of writing stuff like "Saiyuh Peepul?" I find the voice actors' pronunciation of the word "people" to be fine, or at least any difference is small enough that it doesn't warrant a distinction. Obviously the actors have accents, but not every single word they say has to be spelled out phonetically like if the transcription was written by a caveman or something.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:47 pm

When fans say that Yamcha got his ass handed to him by a Saibaman. In reality he did win the fight, he turned around and was ready to take on more. He was caught off guard and was too overconfident, and that lead to his death.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Another exageration would be how the fandom and detractor (VERY WRONGLY) use the term Retcon as a justifier for anything they don´t like, doesn´t make sense plot wise, hard to understand and in-universe inconsistency.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:49 pm

It's not exactly that hard to see the various flaws in the writing and story of DB. I still consider DBZ better than a ton of other anime for various other reasons, including the very simplicity and sometimes tongue-in-cheek nature of the series that people tend to use against it when comparing it to the very "complex" seinen anime they love.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Example: Whis' 3-second time reverse is a "Deus Ex Machina". The series showcases some incredible mystic powers. If Whis' ability is a Deus Ex Machina, then you'd have to include many other powers like Goku's teleportation or senzu beans or the Potara.

A true Deus Ex Machina is an unexpected cheat. It's like when the forces of good and evil are vying for control of the universe, and the bad guy starts to win and then suddenly a character wakes up and it was all just a dream. Or, the day of the big football game approaches between to equally good teams. During halftime the the game is tied. Team A finds a magic wish-granting coin and wishes for his teams shots to be unblockable. Team A wins the game.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:52 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Example: Whis' 3-second time reverse is a "Deus Ex Machina". The series showcases some incredible mystic powers. If Whis' ability is a Deus Ex Machina, then you'd have to include many other powers like Goku's teleportation or senzu beans or the Potara.

A true Deus Ex Machina is an unexpected cheat. It's like when the forces of good and evil are vying for control of the universe, and the bad guy starts to win and then suddenly a character wakes up and it was all just a dream. Or, the day of the big football game approaches between to equally good teams. During halftime the the game is tied. Team A finds a magic wish-granting coin and wishes for his teams shots to be unblockable. Team A wins the game.

But it is a deus ex machina. Sure it was (very lazily) set up earlier that he had this power, but it's still contrived as hell. Whis and Beerus have almost nothing to do with the movie. They aren't part of the conflict at all. They just stand by the sidelines and watch until the Earth is destroyed. The only reason they go to Earth at all is so Whis can say "Remember that time reverse power I conveniently mentioned at the very beginning of the movie?"

All fiction is unnatural in one way or another, but when something as important as this feels completely forced, it's a problem.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Thouser wrote:But it is a deus ex machina. Sure it was (very lazily) set up earlier that he had this power, but it's still contrived as hell.
Deus Ex Machinas are by definition unexpected, and here you say yourself that it is expected. Now Whis' ability can be other things: overpowered, extremely convenient, badly written. Those are fair criticisms, but they aren't qualifications for a Deus Ex Machina.
Thouser wrote:Whis and Beerus have almost nothing to do with the movie. They aren't part of the conflict at all.
Whis does have something to do with the movie. He's invested time and energy into training Goku and Vegeta, as shown in the movie. He also likes Earth and its food.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:30 pm

"Remember that time reverse power I conveniently mentioned at the very beginning of the movie?"
If it was a deus ex machina, it wouldn't have been set up. The power would've been conveniently used only as a way out.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:09 pm

Thouser wrote:I wouldn't say this is the biggest exaggeration, but fans tend to exaggerate how bad the pronunciations are when they quote the Speedy dub. Obviously they mispronounce things ("we shall wander shellfish-ly in the universe"), but what is point of writing stuff like "Saiyuh Peepul?" I find the voice actors' pronunciation of the word "people" to be fine, or at least any difference is small enough that it doesn't warrant a distinction. Obviously the actors have accents, but not every single word they say has to be spelled out phonetically like if the transcription was written by a caveman or something.
I agree and the same goes for the Big Green dub =D
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:34 pm

ABED wrote:

I take it the "-she ruined my Gohan!!!" crowd are the ones that hate her the most, escalated of of that one point in the series where they assume that she's the reason he isn't training anymore and hold a grudge against her; enough to exaggerate how bad she actually is.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:06 pm

omaro34 wrote:When fans say that Yamcha got his ass handed to him by a Saibaman. In reality he did win the fight, he turned around and was ready to take on more. He was caught off guard and was too overconfident, and that lead to his death.
I think that Saibaman did Yamcha a Favor.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:07 pm

English voice acting in Dragon Ball/DBZ its not as bad as they say.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:16 pm

I still think DBZ Movies 1-13 do get over hype these days. Sometimes I feel like fans haven't watch them in the last 10 or 15 years. I rewatch all 13 movies when BOG was coming out and I think most of them are bad or just meh.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/