When you talk to random DB fans...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

When you talk to random DB fans...

Post by MajinMan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:25 am

Do you hold back some of your knowledge? Like for example, let's say that they make a few mistakes when referencing something, forget an event, or mispronounce kaioken. Do you go out of your way to correct them, or do you let is slide? I personally don't bother trying to correct or inform randoms because they're probably going to forget or get annoyed. If it's a close friend/cousin, especially if they're DB fans, I WILL correct them lol.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: When you talk to random DB fans...

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:39 am

I let character names pass such as the H-Word, Tien, and etc. Attacks names also pass. People grew up around certain dubs so it isn't exactly incorrect to call them by that.
When it comes to actual story events that are wrong such as somebody saying Bebi is in Dragon Ball Z or even Bardock was a great scientist, I will always correct these mistakes.
This applies to everyone not just family or strangers.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:46 am

I typically just let people pronounce/say what they want. I'm not going to correct anyone who says "Saiyan" like they do in the dub for instance, because it doesn't bother me and there's nothing wrong with being a casual fan or only liking the English version. The only time I'd go out of my way to correct someone is if they mentioned a plot point or line that was silly in the dub that was actually a mistranslation.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:53 am

I'd never correct anyone over this show, ESPECIALLY not over pronunciations since I, myself, pronounce things as they're said in the dub (how many US and UK fans actually say "sigh-yawn" over "say-en" or "Go-KOO" over "Go-koo"?). lol.

It's just such a dickish/geeky thing to do.
"Goku using the kayo-ken against Vegeta was so bada--"
"Uhh... sir, it's pronounced KAIo-ken. Like, you know, King Kai. Nyuck nyuck nyuck"

If these are casual fans talking, I wouldn't correct them over the incorrect dialogue (e.g. Bardock being a scientist) in the dub either. That's the version they watched. To them, what is stated there is right because... it was said there, in the only version of the show they're familiar with and care about! Clear as day. So... whatever.

In this gym I worked at, my coworkers gathered around and started talking about the series. Eventually, there was a discussion over who would win between Kid Buu and Broly. You obviously know who I picked: ...Broly.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:04 am

No, I won't correct them on the very small chance I meet someone who likes DB and is open to discussion. But the terminology of our dub annoys me A LOT, as well as Funimation's.
Last edited by Doctor. on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:06 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I'd never correct anyone over this show, ESPECIALLY not over pronunciations since I, myself, pronounce things as they're said in the dub (how many US and UK fans actually say "sigh-yawn" over "say-en" or "Go-KOO" over "Go-koo"?). lol.

It's just such a dickish/geeky thing to do.
"Goku using the kayo-ken against Vegeta was so bada--"
"Uhh... sir, it's pronounced KAIo-ken. Like, you know, King Kai. Nyuck nyuck nyuck"

If these are casual fans talking, I wouldn't correct them over the incorrect dialogue (e.g. Bardock being a scientist) in the dub either. That's the version they watched. To them, what is stated there is right because... it was said there, in the only version of the show they're familiar with and care about! Clear as day. So... whatever.

In this gym I worked at, my coworkers gathered around and started talking about the series. Eventually, there was a discussion over who would win between Kid Buu and Broly. You obviously know who I picked: ...Broly.
Yeah, that's typically why I never do it, if I can avoid it. Like I said before, I'd only do it if they mentioned a bad translation, but even then I only think I'd do it if they mentioned that the line was kind of silly or if they asked why that line was even there. For example, if they simply mentioned the "brilliant scientist" thing in passing, just talking about the moment itself, I wouldn't say anything. If they said something like "why does he say that? That's kinda weird", I might casually mention that it was just a weird translation. I myself can't hate the dub, since I probably wouldn't even be here typing this post had it not existed.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:31 am

I have one friend who is a DB fan and he is a dub fan. now does that mean that we use the same names ? nope. now has caused a lot of awkward pauses ? YES. I can't tell you how many times we have been like "DUR WHO"S SPIKE ? or "DUR WHO'S TULLECE?" but boy I'd by lieing if I said this hasn't helped me learn about the dub and it's the same for him.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:38 am

I'm not particularly nitpicky with names, extremes that are flat out incorrect or added, like the "H" word, or "Bills" or when they think "Satan" is Mr. Satan's last Surname.
At best I try to at least go by the Kai dub corrections as the new basics.

When it comes to knowledge, it depends there as well. Sometimes when fans argue something off of a prejudice-preference or off a perceived fanbase-truth as opposed to a sourced/cited notions about the series or characters; I have to step in, but this fanbase is so stubborn it's taxing.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:15 am

The vast majority of DBZ fans especially in the U.S. are dub fans who never watch the Japanese version.

There's no harm in that, but if they do say something wrong I try to correct them if its a dubbing error. However correcting people on dub names like T"i"en or such is just being an ass. The names are official for the dub so let people call the characters how they want.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:27 am

I typically don't expect much. You have to consider a lot of these people were casual fans of what they considered to be a weird looking action cartoon on Toonami. It's hard for me to get up in arms about their pronunciation of Kaio-Ken when most of them couldn't even tell me what a Kaio-Ken is.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:42 am

I can only imagine the people who also have filler debates with casual fans. Saying, "Goku never fell off Snake Way!" or, "Pikkon doesn't exist!" etc.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:43 am

I would just be respectful and play ignorant on everything. If anyone asked what version I watched, I'd say something like:

"I just automatically watching things in their original language, but I watched one of the recent movies in English, and loved it!" or "I haven't watched the original, but I saw the recent version...I think it's called Kai or something..."

Although, I love everything Chris Sabat did in the Boo arc so I can always use that! I love all that Majin Vegeta stuff to death!

Personally, I relegate all geekdom to the internet. There's just never been a reason in my life for it to come up in conversation.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:I let character names pass such as the H-Word, Tenshinhan, and etc. Attacks names also pass. People grew up around certain dubs so it isn't exactly incorrect to call them by that.
When it comes to actual story events that are wrong such as somebody saying Bebi is in Dragon Ball Z or even Bardock was a great scientist, I will always correct these mistakes.
This applies to everyone not just family or strangers.
Pretty much this. Even when correcting someone though, I always make sure to do it in more of an 'actually, that's not right, it's more of - ' way rather than 'YOU'RE WRONG, HOW DARE YOU' kind of way. Though there's been a handful of people that think they know everything and have incorrect facts and attempt to keep pressing onward, at which point I usually just roll with it to get the conversation over faster.

It's pretty rare either way though - outside of my girlfriend and my mom to some degree, don't really deal with people in real life that like the series very often.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:09 pm

I'm not much of a nitpicker myself, but that's mainly because I like both the English dub and the Japanese, and whatever terminology the person is used to is fine with me.

Of course I would correct them if something like Vegeta claiming Bardock was a "brilliant scientist" came up, but I don't say "oh your not a true fan for saying this". At the very least telling them nicely is a good way of helping that person to break out of their original Funimation comfort zone.

At the end of the day we're all Dragon Ball fans, I'm part of fandoms that are considerably small (Eg Xiaolin Showdown, male Vampire Diaries fans etc) so as far as I'm concerned any fan, no matter how casual or hardcore is welcome to the community.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:59 pm

Wasn't the Bardock is a scientist thing only said in the ocean dub?

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:05 pm

I personally use the Portuguese dub terminology myself when i'm being casual about the show so I don't really go out of my way to correct someone when they do the same. The only exceptions to this rule are if someone brings wrong plot points or wierd internet rumors "DID YOU KNOW BROLY'S COMING BACK FOR A NEW MOVIE!!!11!!eleven" or if I hear any mention of Bills, i will scream if I have to.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:19 pm

I don't really get my kickers in twist if people mispronounce terms or forgetting certain events. I mean, I love Dragon Ball, but I often remind that it's just an animated show and a comic, and there more important things in life to get flustered about.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:52 pm

I don't see the deal with using dub terms,if you speak English,using the English names make sense,it's using a Japanese version of a word in the middle of a English sentence that is weird....from a point of view, Both are fine to use but think of it from both sides. I think that's why a lot of people get called weaboo, because they speak English but randomly use Japanese wording for Goku's name,and wrongly too like they'll say his name is Son Goku when it isn't. That's like saying Obama Barrack.

Still when I talk to random fans I normally just say stop quoting TFS XD....seriously I can't be the only 1 who runs into people over using quotes from TFS to the point it loses value.

And honestly different people react differently to being corrected. You gotta read if they'll get pissed if you say "it's not kay o ken it's KAI o ken!" I mean I watch DBZ all the time but I still say kay o ken,becuase that's the dub way of saying it. And people always disagree on what knowledge is right,like you think x>y but maybe they can prove to you y>x,or maybe they're tied and you're both wrong.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 pm

I chastise them severely and drive their self-esteem into the dirt. :twisted:

Just kidding. Funny thing is, MY usage of the correct names like "Tenshinhan" and "Kienzan" will often prompt them to ask me why I'm using those terms and inform them and I inform them why. Otherwise, I don't get preachy about it and even if the upholding of the proper vernacular was a sacred practice that had to be implemented on the "ignorant", I'd be in no position to do it myself since I still use "Saiyan" and spell "Majin Buu" with u's with no shame at all. :D

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:46 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:I don't see the deal with using dub terms,if you speak English,using the English names make sense,it's using a Japanese version of a word in the middle of a English sentence that is weird....from a point of view, Both are fine to use but think of it from both sides. I think that's why a lot of people get called weaboo, because they speak English but randomly use Japanese wording for Goku's name,and wrongly too like they'll say his name is Son Goku when it isn't. That's like saying Obama Barrack.
Well, my philosophy is if people can't handle a bit of Japanese-sounding nomenclature, they shouldn't be watching anime in the first place. And if you're having a conversation with someone who uses the term weeaboo, you should find better people to talk to.

But, no, calling Son Goku Son Goku is not like calling Barack Obama Obama Barack. Because that's not his name. That's not how he says his name. Son Goku is how Son Goku says his name, so regardless of whether or not you put your surname before your given name, it doesn't make Son Goku any less correct. I mean, for another fictionalized example, take the Bajorans from the Star Trek universe who likewise place their surnames before their given names. Major Kira's full name is Kira Nerys. Ensign Ro's full name is Ro Laren. Those are their names. In fact, Ensign Ro forcefully corrects Captain Picard when he mistakenly refers to her as Ensign Laren. And if you tried to refer to them in conversation with other Trek fans as Nerys Kira and Laren Ro under the rationale that we here in the Western world don't do things like that, you'd probably be met with some incredulous stares. So should it be with Son Goku.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2