How old were you when you first started watching DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

How old were you when you first started watching DBZ?

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:18 am

I think I was around 13ish when I first saw the Saban Season 1 dub in 1998 or so. I think the first episode I ever saw was Goku approaching Nappa and defeating him. I don't know why but seeing Goku take out a big guy like that hooked me from the start.

I am now 29. So damn, its been a while.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: How old were you when you first started watching DBZ?

Post by MajinMan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:36 am

I think I was around 4-5 years old but I'm not too sure. It was before 2001 at least. Maybe.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:14 am

I was around 10 or so. I remember pouring over the Prima Strategy Guide for Budokai 1 which was released slightly before the game. The weird thing is I was barely acquainted with the franchise so I have no idea why I was so excited. The story mode was incredibly efficient in making me a fast fan. I remember buying the first volume of the DBZ manga not too long afterwards. It was out of one of those scholastic magazines they handed out in grade school (looking back, how weird was that?) From there my main exposure to the franchise was slowly buying the manga but I'd immediately snatch up any video game that came out the day of release. I had a small smattering of the DVD singles but I quickly decided they were too numerous and expensive to fuck with. Funnily enough my main exposure to the franchise was piecing together the story line through the video games. There was a period where Budokai 2's Boo arc may have well been canon to me. It wasn't until Buu's Fury that I got to experience anything close to the real story.

It's funny to think that I've been obsessed with a franchise for 13 years because I blew 50 of my mom's hard earned dollars on some random-ass anime game based on a TV show I knew nothing about.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:22 am

I remember I got started in the 6th grade, and they were doing re-runs of the tail end of the Freeza material on Toonami, with two episodes per day, leading up to new episodes...so that would have been 2000-ish I want to say. Would have made me roughly 11 or 12, depending on what time of year it was.

Considering I'm 26 now, that makes me feel old, far far too old.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:40 am

I lived in Japan from 91-93 and saw a couple episodes here and there, so I would've been 6 to 8 years old, but didn't become a consistent fan until 96 when I first saw it in syndication, which would mean I was 11.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:06 am

Nine years old in April 2001, starting with the Cell saga on Toonami. And it started as an accident, too!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:19 am

It was probably around the 5-7 range and I saw the Toonami reruns. I don't remember actually watching the show much (I know I did and I remember bits and pieces of it, I actually think I saw the Goku vs. Nappa/Vegeta stuff first. My memory isn't very good at all though), but I know I played the hell out of the video games. Not gonna lie, I looked up the original intro for Budokai 3 the other day on a whim and the nostalgia almost overwhelmed me. That guitar resonates with me a lot.

But anyway yes, I was fairly young and saw the Toonami reruns when I first laid eyes on the series.
Last edited by Wezenheim on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wesker

Post by Wesker » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:41 am

March 1992, I was seven. I had already watched the original Dragon Ball prior to this of course.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:43 am

I was thirteen, pushing fourteen. I got into it pretty late, I'd say.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:44 am

In September 1996 I was... 14. Started the website about two years later.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:58 am

It was September of 1998 when the reruns of seasons 1 and 2 began airing on Toonami. I was 12 and had just started the 7th grade. Found the website about two years later. :wink:
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:58 am

I think I was 10 and what got me into it was Budokai Tenkaichi,There was something epic about the cover that made me get it and I've been a huge fan ever since.
VegettoEX wrote:In September 1996 I was... 14. Started the website about two years later.
Back then did you think it would become anything like what it is today ? or did you just start it as a small hobby and didn't think anything would come of it ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:04 pm

I was 11 years old turning 12 the next month. It's funny because I know the actual date, of when I saw my first episode of DBZ. It was monday the 9th of September 2002, when DR1 broadcasted the 3rd episode of DBZ, that my DB fandom started.
Incidentally I had already seen less than 5 mins of DB over on German channel RTL II(which also broadcasted Digimon 02 episodes, my whole reason for watching that channel), but didn't find it interesting.. I think it was a RRA arc episode.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 pm

I was sixteen... so one year ago. now I am seventeen.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:35 pm

I was 17 and a half. I got into it a lot later than others it seems.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:00 pm

I was 7. My country showed all 153 eps of Db and 52 eps of Dbz. It was not until 2011 that i rewatched those and finished the rest in english and august-october of this year i rewatched everything exept GT and Kai (i saw kai earlier) in japanese, and everything from now on, i'll watch in its original form.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Pretty early in 2002.... so 5 or 6.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Sometime early 2001 during the midnight run of the Cell games and I was 10. I was a person who used to dislike DBZ because how popular it was at my school. I give it a second try and been hook since then.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Regularly? Would have been the Otherworld Tournament and Buu on Toonami, so 2002, eleven or twelve. First time seeing Dragon Ball in any capacity would have been the fight with Nappa with the Ocean cast, which would be 1999, I think?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:40 pm

I was 7 when it aired in the UK in 2000. I watched the odd bits and pieces of the Saban dub and early Season 3, but became addicted to the show when I happened to see Vegeta's death and Goku's vow to take down Frieza. I remember the speech Vegeta made in the dub really drew me in. The way he spoke of his childhood struck me as pretty heavy stuff at the time compared to other cartoons I'd watched. I remember Cartoon Network UK getting as far as the Trunks saga pretty quickly, but taking forever to air the Android saga and having daylong marathons of the Frieza saga pretty regularly.