Dragon Ball 'Super History Book'

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball 'Super History Book'

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:04 pm

-About Toriyama interview-
- I see. So then after that, Goku grew up…
- I got a lot of pushback on that at the time. Apparently in shōnen manga changing what the main character looked like was a big no-no, but I didn’t care about that. His head/body ratio made fighting hard, so I said that if the series was going to start focusing more on battles, then I needed to make him an adult. But this really shocked them: “The series has finally gotten popular, and now you want to go and change everything!” That was the kind of reaction I got.
Already knew about this, but read it again just makes me glad. Screw shonen tropes, that's the way to go!
I'm glad Toriyama keeps doing his own thing. Goku the main character not winning once in BOG, a shonen theatrical movie, felt so fresh. The good middle finger.
I just like doing the opposite of whatever is trendy.
11/10 Toriyama is such a rebel. :wink:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm happy they made him an adult. Trying to imagine the rest of Dragon Ball with Gokû still as a kid would be surreal. (There'd be no Gohan, Piccolo's development would be derailed, Vegeta would look odd competing against a child - unless Vegeta would still be a child as well, no Gotenks at all...).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:29 pm

I was able to get supposed (key word here, people) translations for Togashi's, Sorachi's and Hara's comments on their tributes. Togashi basically said thank you for creating Dragon Ball as reading it himself motivated him to write and draw non-stop and he was moved to tears by it (ironic since he ended YYH without said enthusiasm and is now Mr. Hiatus lol), Sorachi said he loved people who lost like Yamcha....but f**k Vegeta for taking "our" (in this case, his) Bulma :lol: . Hara had an interesting one, he respects Toriyama so much that he would like to work with him on a series (don't know if Hara's manly style can lend itself to someone who's comedy oriented like Toriyama....then again he drew Ryo Saeba with a raging erection :lol: )
Last edited by SaiyanZ on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:46 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:I was able to get supposed translations for Togashi's, Sorachi's and Hara's comments on their tributes. Togashi basically said thank you for creating Dragon Ball as reading it himself motivated him to write and draw non-stop and he was moved to tears by it (ironic since he ended YYH without said enthusiasm and is now Mr. Hiatus lol), Sorachi said he loved people who lost like Yamcha....but f**k Vegeta for taking "our" (in this case, his) Bulma :lol: .
I was glady surprised by how nice (and ironic) Togashi's comment was. Already read some of his interviews and I was caught off guard by that.
His evil Goku was one of my favourites.

I hadn't read Sorachi's comment yet, but that one feels 100% from him. That sir never fails to make me laugh. :lol: :clap:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:35 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:Sorachi said he loved people who lost like Yamcha....but f**k Vegeta for taking "our" (in this case, his) Bulma :lol: .
Yamcha fans gotta stick together.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:57 am

Is this book now out of print or is it only temporary?

Sun Wukong
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sun Wukong » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:24 pm

Does anybody know where I can get this? Also it does come in English as well right?
"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post my masters changed. Along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words - can - kill."
—Skull Face

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:Does anybody know where I can get this?
Any time we write about it on the website, we provide links to purchase it.
Sun Wukong wrote:Also it does come in English as well right?
No. There is no English translation announced, and judging by the history with all other guide books, it's extremely unlikely.

Finally, can you not post in italics? It's incredibly difficult to read, and there's no real reason for it. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:35 pm

SaiyanZ wrote: Sorachi said he loved people who lost like Yamcha....but f**k Vegeta for taking "our" (in this case, his) Bulma :lol:
That is fucking hilarious, Sorachi you lovely Gorilla. :lol:
:clap:

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Wasn't it Bulma who dumped Yamcha because he was cheating iirc?
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:47 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:Wasn't it Bulma who dumped Yamcha because he was cheating iirc?
That's the story Bulma herself told Trunks, at any rate. No way to know for sure how things actually went down.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:25 pm

I just finished to watch the "unboxing" and yes it looks pretty interesting, do Kanzenshuu staff have plans to translate it entirely?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:33 am

Noah wrote:I just finished to watch the "unboxing" and yes it looks pretty interesting, do Kanzenshuu staff have plans to translate it entirely?
That'd be an incredibly extensive task and legally questionable. I wouldn't hold your breath on that.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:27 pm

I just got mine and boy am I happy, its like a buncha data from the older guidebooks with extra stuff.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:02 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:- I see. So then after that, Goku grew up…
- I got a lot of pushback on that at the time. Apparently in shōnen manga changing what the main character looked like was a big no-no, but I didn’t care about that. His head/body ratio made fighting hard, so I said that if the series was going to start focusing more on battles, then I needed to make him an adult. But this really shocked them: “The series has finally gotten popular, and now you want to go and change everything!” That was the kind of reaction I got.

Already knew about this, but read it again just makes me glad. Screw shonen tropes, that's the way to go!
I'm glad Toriyama keeps doing his own thing. Goku the main character not winning once in BOG, a shonen theatrical movie, felt so fresh. The good middle finger.
To this day, change the main characters' looks is a big no no in shonen, for obvious reasons. Now when you think about back then, even changing outfits was a taboo! That only makes Toriyama more impressive in retrospect.

WhisPL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhisPL » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:28 am

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:33 am

WhisPL wrote:
https://twitter.com/TenGorszy
Is that the concept design of #18? That's really intriguing. She certainly had a much more western wardrobe and appearance in the concept art.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:35 am

Could also just be concept art for the new outfit she had to wear after her clothes wore torn in the fight against Vegeta.
That's what I thought, when I saw it.
Then again it is kind of funny, if he originally had designed her with that attire, but scrapped it, only to give it to her later on anyways.

WhisPL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhisPL » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:14 pm

This is for the purpose of Chapter 359 manga and beyond. By Akira Toriyama.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:20 pm

I guess when Toei asked Toriyama to design Tapion, he just flipped through his old stuff and saw that 18 sketch. :P
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki