Why was Dragonball minus never animated into a special?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why was Dragonball minus never animated into a special?

Post by precita » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 pm

I don't get it, they made a special about the ridiculous Episode of Bardock, but they didn't make a special about Dragonball Minus? I feel like its one of the few major Dragonball stories never to be animated.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why was Dragonball minus never animated into a special?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:49 pm

Toei Animation has been busy lately. The industry as a whole has been busy. They'll get around to it. Eventually.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:23 am

If they do, I hope they add more substance to it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:26 am

Maybe down the line for a OVA. Right now, I don't see happening for a while. I think it's possible since Super's flash back on Freeza blowing up Planet Vegeta didn't have Bardock in space.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:27 am

Because it's terrible and it should be forgotten.

And never spoken of again.

EVER.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 am

I hope Minus doesn't get animated. I don't like it at all. To answer your question though, Toei probably doesn't see it as a way to make a profit. They know which version of Bardock is the most popular.

Edit: Or rather, its not a priority right now.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:14 am

You make it sound like it's this long-established part of the franchise that's been waiting forever to be adapted. Dragon Ball Minus is less than two years old.

Personally, I'm with those who are saying I hope it never gets animated. The quicker that thing gets buried, the better. But if it is ever animated, I'd prefer it to be alongside a complete Jaco adaptation.

Or on second thought, do I? Aside from DB-, Jaco is pretty awesome. It doesn't need to be sullied with Minus leeching off its back.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:19 am

The better question is will Jaco be animated as a special. Not that much really happens in DB-… I'm one of the people that doesn't mind it, but it is not really a self-contained story: there is no plot to make its own special out of it.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:31 am

irreality wrote:The better question is will Jaco be animated as a special. Not that much really happens in DB-… I'm one of the people that doesn't mind it, but it is not really a self-contained story: there is no plot to make its own special out of it.
This. I'd much rather see Jaco animated. And with Super, that seems more possible.

But at the same time, if they animate Jaco I'm sure they'll do EoB as well.

Maybe when, or if, Xenoverse 2 comes out it'll be a included as a special like "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans" and "Episode of Bardock" were.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:17 am

Even then, it's only one chapter long. They'd have to add a lot more detail to it, in which case they'd pretty much be making the Bardock special all over again. What would be the point? So we can see Gine in colour?

Perhaps if they made a Jaco special, they would put a little bit of Minus in, at the end. Maybe a short scene of Bardock and Gine sending Goku away. But I doubt it would be very long.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:53 am

EOB was a continuation to Bardock's special and gave a fan favorite character Ssj and the story answered questions that weren't addressed in the manga.

What does Minus have that's worth animating ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:27 pm

sintzu wrote:EOB was a continuation to Bardock's special and gave a fan favorite character Ssj and the story answered questions that weren't addressed in the manga.

Not really. Episode of Bardock's concept is impossible to occur outside of an inception paradox. Nothing was answered because there were no questions left open from the special. And minus fits into that miscellaneous trivia pile. It's nothing of narrative value. Celipa could have just been labelled as Goku's mother of no needed trivia significance and we could have left it there.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Because while an animated adaptation could provide more substance that is desperately needed for the story, it doesn't really need to be animated. It's a not a story of great priority, unlike Jaco.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:53 pm

It's only a chapter, it lacks content to make a special from it. They could add a few things to fill in time. Extending Bardock's initial invasion, a bit of Gine's - by the extension the Saiyan Society - life. Vegeta being a douchy murdering kid with Raditz by his side, Nappa cameo. Show Grandpa Gohan finding Goku and a bit of their life, culminating with his death at the hands of Oozaru Goku.
But I would prefer a special of Jaco, it would give bigger dividends animated, than the special chapter. Jaco is a excellent character.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:29 pm

Couldn't it have been adapted into a 22 minute episode? Its not like it has to be 45 minutes or something.

Just add in some extra padding here and there with a few extra scenes.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:30 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
sintzu wrote:EOB was a continuation to Bardock's special and gave a fan favorite character Ssj and the story answered questions that weren't addressed in the manga.

Not really. Episode of Bardock's concept is impossible to occur outside of an inception paradox. Nothing was answered because there were no questions left open from the special. And minus fits into that miscellaneous trivia pile. It's nothing of narrative value. Celipa could have just been labelled as Goku's mother of no needed trivia significance and we could have left it there.
A closed causality paradox is the only paradox that is possible to happen because it works with the logic of whatever happened, happened, therefore what happens in it is all that is needed. And it definitely is better and more meaningful and makes more sense than the other time-crap seeing in other stories.

Back to topic: I do hope it gets its place in anime. I want to see Gine.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:57 pm

Because its better forgotten.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:24 pm

It's not its own thing; it's the last chapter of Jaco.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:34 am

And of course, that anime version will put the 1990 Bardock – The Father of Goku to pasture.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:54 am

I'm curious -- it seems pretty universally disliked in English fandom (myself included). How did Japanese fans react?