Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jerry Mouse

Dragon Ball

Post by Jerry Mouse » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:16 pm

How many different Dragon Ball Dragon Ball Z etc are there in what order do they all go in. I also understand that there are many dubs like I like the ocean dub etc I want to know what the differences and what they mean as well. What does canon and non-canon mean. Do All the different Dragon Ball shows branch off from each other or they just go and order from where the last left. I have so many questions that need to be answered please respond.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball

Post by successoroffate » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:48 pm

1. If we look at Dubs. The way I see it you have:

The Original Japanese Dragon Ball which includes the Manga and the comics.
On the same timeline,you have to look at any dubs that comply or are loyal to the original: Take the LatinAmerican Spanish dub for example. The dialogues are exactly the same from the Original Japanese but in Spanish. The dialogue in such dub is consider Canon to the series.

Then you have Funimation's Dragon Ball. The dialogue is different and sometimes not accurate. Those inaccuracies and differences in dialogue are not canon to the series. Same goes for different character names.

2. Content. (Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Super, Dragon Ball GT)
The Canon Line has different directions depending on the way you see it. Since GT is a spin off, it has a different timeline.
(A)DB----DBZ----Ending of Z.
(B)DB----DBZ----Ending of Z----GT----100 Years later Special
(C)DB----DBZ----DBSuper-----Ending of Z.
(D)DB----DBZ----DBSuper-----Ending of Z-----GT-----100 Years later Special
Then you have the movies, which have their own timeline. Also, some people like to take out DBZ and put DB Kai instead (Which makes no sense Kai is just Z with remastered visuals and LESS filler). DBZ, Super and GT all share plotholes that put the previous ending entry of the series in a state of jeopardy.

3. Canon Debate.
Canon means anything that was made directly by the author and not by a third party. Some people call it Official. Even if authorized by the author, some people tent to argue the canonicity of the content.

GT wasn't made by Akira Toriyama but he did have a small participation on the project. GT was substantially done by TOEI. Therefore, it shouldn't fall within the Canon definition, yet, some people like myself, we tried to glue in GT as Canon somehow.

That's my shot at it.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Dragonball follows the story of young Kid Goku. Its truly a mystical adventure where the legend of the dragonballs are introduced. It is the first part of the series. Goku meets new friends, fights off many earthly enemies along the way, fights in tournaments, etc.

Dragonball Z continues the story and focuses on adult Goku and the Z fighters as they protect the Earth from many threats.

GT is not cannon, meaning it was not created by Toriyama, but it follows the story after DBZ.

Now , maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong: Cannon is what is in the manga, and non cannon filler in the series is not in the manga.

Dragonball Super is a new cannon series created by Toriyama and this takes place after the Buu Arc of Dragonball Z.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:26 pm

successoroffate wrote: 3. Canon Debate.
Canon means anything that was made directly by the author and not by a third party.
No, it doesn't. Especially not if you mean "Original Author" with "author". Popular examples for why this can't be this easy (if more than just one person's property is in question) would be George Lucas and Satoshi Tajiri.
Last edited by Cetra on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:30 pm

It's all subjective, but I think MistareFusion, who does his Dissection series, breaks it down perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Lp8PYmep4

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:30 pm

By the way, I somehow think this is a troll thread.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Cetra wrote:By the way, I somehow think this is a troll thread.
I meant Original Author, Anything not done by Toriyama.

BTW, You are probably right, this may be a troll thread, but it's not my call, I just took the chance to write my nonsense : D
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:49 pm

Cetra wrote:By the way, I somehow think this is a troll thread.
I guess messing with Tom isn't enough for the rodent. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:58 pm

successoroffate wrote: I meant Original Author, Anything not done by Toriyama.
Yeah, as mentioned, it is not as easy if more are involved, Property is always a thing. And once rights come in it gets more complex with official permission and who owns what. I guarantee you Satoshi Tajiri has not created all 700+ Pokémon.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Jerry Mouse wrote:How many different Dragon Ball Dragon Ball Z etc are there in what order do they all go in.
Dragon Ball manga: the original comic by Akira Toriyama.

Dragon Ball anime: covers the first 194 chapters of the manga, with some extra stuff added in.

Dragon Ball anime movies: These four movies are alternate versions of some of the stories from the manga. They're basically their own thing. The first three were made during the original anime. The fourth one was made during Dragon Ball GT.

Dragon Ball Z anime: covers the rest of the manga, again with some extra stuff added.

Dragon Ball Z anime movies: These 13 movies are stand-alone adventures featuring the Dragon Ball characters. They all contradict the series to various degrees, so they're basically they're own thing, with one exception. The DBZ anime added a new storyline (the Garlic Jr. arc), not from the manga, where the villain of the first DBZ movie returns.

Bardock Special: a TV special that aired during the Z anime, about Goku's father Bardock.

Trunks special: another TV special from the Z anime, about Trunks's backstory.

Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans: an OVA meant to be a walkthrough for the Nintendo tie-in videogame of the same name. Later it was remade as "Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans."

Dragon Ball GT: a sequel anime to Dragon Ball Z made by Toei (same company that's made all the DB anime). It's not based on any part of the manga. Toriyama did the new character designs, but that's pretty much it as far as his involvement goes. A lot of people ignore this series, for various reasons, but there are still people who like it.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai: It's just the Dragon Ball Z anime in HD, with a lot (but not all) of the "extra" stuff cut out.

Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return: A short reunion special kind of thing made about ten years ago. It takes place after the defeat of Majin Buu but before the very end of the manga/DBZ.

Episode of Bardock: a short manga and anime about Bardock going back in time and becoming the first Super Saiyan. It was a video game tie-in.

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman: A recent manga by Toriyama. It takes place in the same world as Dragon Ball, and the title character, Jaco, reappears in Resurrection "F" and Dragon Ball Super.

Dragon Ball Minus: A short manga Toriyama made that retells the story of Bardock. It introduces Goku's mother, Gine, and directly contradicts the previous Bardock stories.

Battle of Gods: A movie set after "Yo!", but again, before the very end of Z. It introduced the villain Beerus.

Ressurection "F": the sequel to Battle of Gods.

Dragon Ball Super: the current TV series. It's basically an expanded retelling of Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F".

BONUS:

Dragon Ball The Magic Begins: a live action "remake" of the first Dragon Ball movie (The Legend of Shenlong), made in Taiwan in 1989.

Dragon Ball: Fight Son Ogong, Win Son Ogong: A Korean live action movie based on the beginning of the manga.

Dragon Ball Evolution: The Hollywood live action Dragon Ball movie that everyone likes to forget.
Jerry Mouse wrote: I also understand that there are many dubs like I like the ocean dub etc I want to know what the differences and what they mean as well.
I'm going to assume you mean English dubs only.

The Dragon Ball anime had a few dubs. First was the Harmony Gold dub. I think they only dubbed the first two movies, not the TV series. This dub changed a lot of the characters' names, and hardly anyone has seen it. I think the Spanish dub of the series was based on it. Funimation did one dub of the earliest episodes in 1995, but then they gave up and did DBZ instead. Towards the end of DBZ's run in the US, they started dubbing the DB anime again from the beginning, and finished this time.
Concurrent with the second Funi dub was a Canadian dub by Blue Water.

DBZ is a little complicated. The first dub was made as a collaboration between Funimation and Saban, and used Canadian voice actors. It only covered part of the series. These episodes were rerun over and over for a couple years, before Funimation started dubbing the rest of the series by themselves, with new, American voice actors. At the same time, Canada started getting their own dub, by Ocean. The Ocean dub used the same scripts as the Funimation dub, but different music, and used the voice actors from the first Funimation/Saban dub.

When Funimation got to the end of DBZ, they went back and redubbed the early episodes with their new voice actors.

The DBZ movies have a few different dubs. The first Funimation dub covered the first three movies. Then movies 4-13 were dubbed by Funimation's new voice actors. Funimation went back and redubbed the first three movies with their new actors and new dub scripts.

In Europe, they got the "Big Green" dub of all 13 movies. This dub was based on the script from the French dub. There's also the Speedy dub, again covering all 13, which was made in Malaysia, using the same voice actors from the Malay language dub, but speaking heavily accented English.

Dragon Ball GT had two dubs: a US one by Funimation and a Canadian one by Blue Water.

Dragon Ball Kai was dubbed by Funimation, now with much more accurate scripts than their original DBZ dub. A lot of the voice actors from the DBZ dub came back, but others have new voice actors.

Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F" were dubbed by Funimation using the same cast as Kai.
Jerry Mouse wrote:What does canon and non-canon mean. Do All the different Dragon Ball shows branch off from each other or they just go and order from where the last left. I have so many questions that need to be answered please respond.
The term "canon" comes from Christianity and was used to mean which books should be included in the Bible. Basically, which books "counted." Fans of various series use the term in the same way: "which ones count?"

Unlike a lot of series, the owners of Dragon Ball have never come up with a definitive guide to "these ones count; these other ones didn't actually happen." The only exception is that Toriyama said he considered the movies he didn't work on to be in "another world," but that's obvious since they generally don't fit into the story of the series.

A lot of fans consider only the stuff Toriyama made to be canon. Of course that would mean that Toriyama's Dragon Ball Minus manga trumps the vastly superior (in a lot of fans' opinion) Bardock TV special.

Wow, what a long answer. I hope this wasn't a troll question.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:27 pm

Just watch all of it in order of release.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Jerry Mouse

Post by Jerry Mouse » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:10 am

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:46 am

Jerry Mouse wrote:http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_sagas

Is that the whole order?
You can find the order on this very websiteas well... You're just trolling.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:16 am

Is that the whole order?
Yeah, that's about right. Although, I'd watch GT before Super. It's generally better to watch things in release order.
MajinMan wrote:

Is that the whole order?
You can find the order on this very websiteas well... You're just trolling.
Don't be a dick.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Jerry Mouse

Post by Jerry Mouse » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Thank you for all your help guys. I know the exact order to buy them in.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:49 pm

And you should totally check out the main site. There's a wealth of information here.

Jerry Mouse

Post by Jerry Mouse » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:26 pm

So is the DVD version of kai filtered like on t.v.?

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 am

For the most part, no. There was some censorship, but that was only due to changes in broadcasting standards in Japan.