Why didn't Vegeta ever want to fight 18 again?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why didn't Vegeta ever want to fight 18 again?

Post by precita » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:09 am

Android 18 humiliated him in the Cell saga and defeated him easily, yet after that he never really has any interest in proving his strength to her. When Cell spits her out in the Cell games, he does tell Krillin to destroy her at first, and when Krillin refuses he says "Do what you want."

In the Buu saga even when both Vegeta and 18 are in the tournament walking together with Goku and the others I don't think they even speak to one another. In fact I don' t think Vegeta and Android 18 ever said a word to each other again.

I don't expect Vegeta to want to kill 18 or anything, but I find it odd he never tried to show her how much stronger he became.

Draconic
I Live Here

Re: Why didn't Vegeta ever want to fight 18 again?

Post by Draconic » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:18 am

There was no point. He wanted to be the best and to fight the strongest people. He knew Cell was stronger and he kicked the guy's ass. Wanting to fight her would be like squashing a bug at that point. Also, Vegeta picked that fight and got trashed. It's not like 18 had a grudge against him. She even let him live. Vegeta is not stupid, he knew it was his mistake and corrected it in the best way: Became stronger than she could think about and never payed her any attention ever again as they had no real rivalry.

18 probably didn't give a crap about him either way.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:23 am

She was waaaay beneath him once he got out of the ROSAT. He knew it, she knew it when she saw him fight semi-perfect Cell, and the huge gap between them never changed again. There was no need to prove anything.

Goku, on the other hand, always managed to surpass Vegeta in power. Now that is someone he would want to prove his strength to.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:26 am

As how he's often depicted throughout the series, he has no interest in those who are weaker than him. Also, from the beginning, his anger is not directed toward 18. He was angry at himself for being weak. It's not that he carried a grudge against her.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:44 am

Good question.

Vegeta had (a) grudge for a guy who never defeated him in the 1st place (Oozaru Gohan ended the fight), but (was) never bothered by 18 who humiliated & crushed Veggie's arm.

But as (an) in-character response, Veggie had never cared about weaker guys.

Goku, Gohan & Super Namek Piccolo at least gave him some boost to train.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:57 am

It was at first a case of broken pride due the fact that he could humbled in such a way, and by a "machine" no less, and also by the fact that after his time in the ROSAT, his power and ego swelled up to such a point that he stopped giving a fuck about what happened with #18 and felt he had bigger fish to fry (Cell).

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:37 am

precita wrote:Android 18 humiliated him in the Cell saga and defeated him easily, yet after that he never really has any interest in proving his strength to her. When Cell spits her out in the Cell games, he does tell Krillin to destroy her at first, and when Krillin refuses he says "Do what you want."

In the Buu saga even when both Vegeta and 18 are in the tournament walking together with Goku and the others I don't think they even speak to one another. In fact I don' t think Vegeta and Android 18 ever said a word to each other again.

I don't expect Vegeta to want to kill 18 or anything, but I find it odd he never tried to show her how much stronger he became.
What was he supposed to do?

Vegeta *Talking in a British accent: What a fine bloody Day Kuririn, you may wonder why I am here at your house in the middle of the dawn, but I have come to challenge your Wife to a duel to death! Don't mind interrupting my urges to fight her, it's just that I've just remembered your lovely wife broke my arm a while a go. It's kind off personal if I do say so myself.

This conversation can take place anywhere between Cell and GT.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Wouldnt be much of a point to fight 18.

He became so much more powerful than her she dropped off his radar.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:16 pm

"Ever since Vegeta became a Super Saiyan, his ego has been out of control. Honestly, I think what that android hurt the most today was his pride. He is very ashamed of his defeat".

Piccolo said it best.

As mentioned by other members, Vegeta doesn't care about those he could easily destroy. When Cell was killed by Gohan and 18 was lying on the ground, Vegeta was going to finish her off but Krillin stepped in his way.

Overall, Vegeta likes to fight people that are on his level.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:21 am

Besides just making him vastly stronger than her, Vegeta's time in the RoSaT also means that by the time the Cell Games have wrapped up, from his perspective over two years have passed since she defeated him. Probably long enough for him to simply lose interest in getting back at her.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:06 am

It wasn't #18 that he was ever interested in - it was what she represented: a challenge, an opportunity to test the extent of his new powers.

His humiliation in defeat was undoubted, but his search for self-redemption wasn't in a whale-hunt for the architect of his shame, but in his own resplendent return as Super Vegeta, by which point his focus was on Cell, who had ascended to the top in place of #17 and #18.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Goku never expressed any grudge against #19 either.

The Saiyans seem to only set their sights on strong opponents, they don't take much delight from beating on someone weaker than them. Vegeta versus Semi-Perfect Cell illustrates that idea.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Saiyan/Namek arc Vegeta would have probably looked for revenge though. Guess that's a sign that he did change a little by the Android arc.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Michsi wrote:Saiyan/Namek arc Vegeta would have probably looked for revenge though. Guess that's a sign that he did change a little by the Android arc.
True, Namek Arc Vegeta made sure to kill every Freeza minion he possibly could except for Ginyuu, whether they were stronger or way weaker than him. Sure, there is the danger factor, but still. I think Cell distracted everyone, though.