Would you like a more mature and deeper db story

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Re: Would you like a more mature and deeper db story

Post by HourglassIndigo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:10 am

As everyone else has already said, I'd be cool with more stories like Bardock and Trunks, but if you want edgier and darker stuff, I can't see that happening. Dragon Ball has always had a happy medium between light hearted fun and seriousness. To disrupt that balance would be to change Dragon Ball entirely.

Ashelia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ashelia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:11 am

I enjoy the series mostly for its comedy which is why I've watched the Search for the Dragon Ball arc more times than anything else but I'd be open to more depth or even seriousness if done correctly and at the appropriate times. Don't see it ever happening any time soon though.

It'd also largely depends on what the story would focus on which is why I think Future Trunks' timeline gets more attention for fan films as its easy to translate into a real life gritty action drama vs a whimsical story of hick monkey boy riding a cloud in search of magic balls. I've always wanted a parody of the Saiyan saga with a bit of West Side Story and biker gangs but I like to let my mind wander into absurdities.

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Post by HourglassIndigo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:21 am

Ashelia wrote:I enjoy the series mostly for its comedy which is why I've watched the Search for the Dragon Ball arc more times than anything else but I'd be open to more depth or even seriousness if done correctly and at the appropriate times. Don't see it ever happening any time soon though.

It'd also largely depends on what the story would focus on which is why I think Future Trunks' timeline gets more attention for fan films as its easy to translate into a real life gritty action drama vs a whimsical story of hick monkey boy riding a cloud in search of magic balls. I've always wanted a parody of the Saiyan saga with a bit of West Side Story and biker gangs but I like to let my mind wander into absurdities.
Aww I'd love a parody of the Saiyan arc! That'd be hilarious!

Imtoooldforthis

Post by Imtoooldforthis » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:14 pm

It'd be fine for me if it got as mature as the Freeza and Cell arcs. They were amazing in their own way. But it's not even close to that atm.

I don't mind some characters acting silly as long as there is tension, suspense, thrills, like there was on DBZ. DBS is lacking all of that...

This reminds me of Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X). The OVAs became much better than the actual series imho, because of its serious tone and even the drawing. Especially the first one (the prequel to the series).. but I loved the second one too, even if Nobuhiro Watsuki said that it shouldn't be seen as non-canonical..
"without music, life would be a mistake" nietzsche

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:24 pm

I'd be fine with getting some more one shot deal type stories that are deeper and more serious, which again, is part of why I want some character specials - because there are a lot of characters that would be perfect for that kind of thing, in their back history, at least - but the series has always been at it's best when it still remembers that it's entire original conception was about as goofy as can be. To move too far away from that is to lose what makes Dragon Ball, well, Dragon Ball.
Imtoooldforthis wrote:This reminds me of Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X). The OVAs became much better than the actual series imho, because of its serious tone and even the drawing. Especially the first one (the prequel to the series).. but I loved the second one too, even if Nobuhiro Watsuki said that it shouldn't be seen as non-canonical..
I think I'm in the minority on this compared to a lot of Kenshin fans, but I'd have to completely disagree and agree more with Watsuki. The anime series has it's own issues, but the original manga is the definitive Kenshin for me. In a similar and yet different way from Dragon Ball, Kenshin needs those light hearted moments every now and then to really feel like the characters. It's what helps set it's narrative apart from other samurai redemption type stories. The OVA's, while beautifully animated, suck out way too much of the heart and soul of the characters, and leave them as grim, depressed husks of their former selves. It saddens me to this day that it's only via them that we've ever gotten parts of the Jinchu arc and the post-series stuff Watsuki noted in the manga adapted at all.
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Imtoooldforthis wrote:This reminds me of Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X). The OVAs became much better than the actual series imho, because of its serious tone and even the drawing. Especially the first one (the prequel to the series).. but I loved the second one too, even if Nobuhiro Watsuki said that it shouldn't be seen as non-canonical..
I think I'm in the minority on this compared to a lot of Kenshin fans, but I'd have to completely disagree and agree more with Watsuki. The anime series has it's own issues, but the original manga is the definitive Kenshin or me. In a similar and yet different way from Dragon Ball, Kenshin needs those light hearted moments every now and then to really feel like the characters. It's what helps set it's narrative apart from other samurai redemption type stories. The OVA's, while beautifully animated, suck out way too much of the heart and soul of the characters, and leave them as grim, depressed husks of their former selves. It saddens me to this day that it's only via them that we've ever gotten parts of the Jinchu arc and the post-series stuff Watsuki noted in the manga adapted at all.
Agreed, and, based on my sig, my opinion trumps all others :P

Honestly, I felt the same way about the manga material the first OVA covered. It was too depressing, with no levity to break it up. And the second OVA was way too depressing.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Ddd wrote:I just wanna get this out of the way I love db the way it is and I honestly have no problem with the tone of the show because db is a kids show after all.
You know, Teen Titans Go is a kid show. Does that mean it's okay for the series to be completely effing stupid?

Worst excuse for anything. Kids show is not a level of quality. Kid's show is just that, and can be good or bad or inbetween.

(I also have no problem with the tone of the series as well, but I hate that excuse, had to rant.)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:42 pm

Nope. I love the tone that Dragon Ball has had since the 80s. Part of why I like it is that it's one of the lighter things I'm into. In fact, my pet peeve with a lot of live action fan projects are how dark they are. If I want something darker or whatever, I'll enjoy some other story that has the dark edge that I'm looking for. I'd suggest that anyone looking for dark Dragon Ball to instead do the same.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:02 pm

FoolsGil wrote:You know, Teen Titans Go is a kid show. Does that mean it's okay for the series to be completely effing stupid?
Get that shit off the forum.... NOW!!! :x
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:39 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:You know, Teen Titans Go is a kid show. Does that mean it's okay for the series to be completely effing stupid?
When I see the ridiculous topics you start, I think to myself the same thing. :lol:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:44 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
When I see the ridiculous topics you start, I think to myself the same thing. :lol:
Touché.

Still never reference TTG a.k.a Johnny Test 2.0 again. It's for a great case.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:11 am

Define "mature" and "deeper". If you mean in the sense of having multidimensional characters whose motives and actions happen to occupy both sides of the moral line with no firm placement in either good or evil then that's unlikely. Villains in Dragon Ball have always strutted about with their status and simplistic desires pinned onto their chests. There's no subtlety or meticulousness to what they do because they're mostly two-dimensional idols that represent the core principles of what it means to be evil. They fight to dominate, slaughter and conquer. You have your rogues gallery of cookie-cutter bad guys in DB and that's really about it. Occasionally there might be some tacked on motive like revenge which can transcend the moral boundaries because people from both sides have desired it at one point or another, but ultimately the villain still has the same disregard for others while relishing in how bad they are.

Beerus is about the closest we've come to something different yet his ambivalence still isn't really a defining trait of his. He turns googly eyed over food and dangles the threat of annihilation over the Earth if they don't appease his hunger. It would actually mean something if the "heroes" threw his provocations back at his face and dared to challenge his position as an adjudicator who massacres entire civilisations purely on the basis of whether he's been gratified or not. Should innocent people be condemned to death over such a flimsy pretext as whether Beerus is happy or not? Is he a corrupt entity of destruction who exploits his position for desire? To have these questions asked while challenging the natural edict of destruction for the sake of creation would be the start of something resembling a deeper and more mature story.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:06 am

No, because that is not Dragon Ball.

Dotogam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dotogam » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:10 pm

I don't want DB to become Death Note or something, but maybe something along the lines of History of Trunks where you can see a villain's sadistic nature and maybe leaving the ending with the hero not necessarily succeeding but not with the apocalypse or something (like Bardock Father of Goku). Also not having a happy setting but a more somber one. This is all just me though and probably won't ever be written by Toriyama.
How I relax, crawling into bed with my laptop and browsing Kanzenshuu.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:38 pm

HourglassIndigo wrote:As everyone else has already said, I'd be cool with more stories like Bardock and Trunks, but if you want edgier and darker stuff, I can't see that happening. Dragon Ball has always had a happy medium between light hearted fun and seriousness. To disrupt that balance would be to change Dragon Ball entirely.
Pretty much this.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:12 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Worst excuse for anything. Kids show is not a level of quality. Kid's show is just that, and can be good or bad or inbetween.
Yeah, it's gets annoying when kids shows are judge in terms of quality just because they're kids shows.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:29 pm

Would also say making something more mature doesn't always mean better or more wanted. Ever watch "Ren and Stimpy's Adult Party Cartoon"? That's an excellent example of making something more mature doesn't mean better. Hell, one of the actors from the original stayed away from that travesty.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:44 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
:roll: Don't go MrEnter on us. :lol:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:20 pm

soppa saia people wrote::roll: Don't go MrEnter on us. :lol:
Naw, I'm a far cry from that neckbeard asspie (even though I still watch him)... I actually have a sense of humor. Only thing we've got in common is the autism spectrum shit.

That TTG show's just really that bad and the writers have terrible work ethic.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:36 am

Of course

Everything from King Piccolo to Freeza was 'mature' and it was the best part of the Dragon Ball