Are you satisfied with all the releases we have gotten?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Are you satisfied with all the releases we have gotten?

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Hey guys! I'm just curious if everyone here is satisfied with everything that has been given to us DVD/Bluray wise? I'd have to say I'm actually pretty satisfied with my Dragon-boxes,New Bluray season sets,(after I gave the orange bricks away) I got all the movies/specials on Bluray(even though I'd like to see them get remastered like the new season bluray sets) I guess the only thing I'd like to have is either the original series remastered on Bluray or give me the Dragonball Dragon-boxes. I mean, there's a couple stuff here and there like the Jump special,PTETSS original and remake, and Episode of Bardock I'd like to have on Bluray or DVD but I have them on my laptop and burned off on disc so I'm good. Is there a perfect release that you're wanting specifically? I just can't see how Funimation can find a new way to ''Remaster'' the series? :P the level sets was about the cream of the crop but that was too costly for them so that stopped and I doubt it'd ever get picked back up again. and they have the Boo saga of Kai coming here soon too so I don't know. I guess it's safe to assume that we wont get a new ''Remastered'' version of our beloved series until...2018? maybe longer?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Are you satisfied with all the releases we have gotten?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Honestly, just owning the series and being able to watch it whenever I get the urge is enough to make me pretty happy. That's something I never really thought I'd be able to achieve in full as a kid, because there were so many barriers to that. Back then, we couldn't have the first 13 episodes of DB on an official release here. We didn't have the uncut, non-edited-down version of the Saiyan and early Namek arcs. And even if you could manage to get your hands on all the various tapes or discs needed, you'd need one massive shelf because we were getting the series so massively piecemeal at a time of 3 or 4 episodes a pop.

It's part of why, in at least a small way, I think the Season Sets get a little too much flack at time. Are they the best quality in the world? No, dear god no. But they were still the first consistent release of the entire franchise that was easy enough to nab and put on a shelf without it taking up nearly the entire bookshelf just for one series. Do I wish we'd get Dragon Boxes for DB and GT? Hell yes. Do I wish I had managed to get more than the 1st and 5th boxes for Z? Definitely. But I can still happily say I own the entire show, and can re-visit it whenever I wish. I'm perfectly satisfied in that regard.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ddd
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ddd » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:18 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Honestly, just owning the series and being able to watch it whenever I get the urge is enough to make me pretty happy. That's something I never really thought I'd be able to achieve in full as a kid, because there were so many barriers to that. Back then, we couldn't have the first 13 episodes of DB on an official release here. We didn't have the uncut, non-edited-down version of the Saiyan and early Namek arcs. And even if you could manage to get your hands on all the various tapes or discs needed, you'd need one massive shelf because we were getting the series so massively piecemeal at a time of 3 or 4 episodes a pop.

It's part of why, in at least a small way, I think the Season Sets get a little too much flack at time. Are they the best quality in the world? No, dear god no. But they were still the first consistent release of the entire franchise that was easy enough to nab and put on a shelf without it taking up nearly the entire bookshelf just for one series. Do I wish we'd get Dragon Boxes for DB and GT? Hell yes. Do I wish I had managed to get more than the 1st and 5th boxes for Z? Definitely. But I can still happily say I own the entire show, and can re-visit it whenever I wish. I'm perfectly satisfied in that regard.
Well having the dboxes is enough for me and whatever shady practices funimation did are in the past

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:20 pm

Awesome reply Gyt Kaliba :thumbup: I miss the days(kinda lol) going to Wally world and trying to find the VHS tapes of the movies and series and around here in this poor area of Kentucky that I live in, trying to beat other fans to the punch was such a pain sometimes. heck, even now you can go to Walmart and you wont see hardly any Dragonball stuff at all around here. So I definitely agree that it's soooo much easier for fans today. and I have to admit that I don't know an insane amount of Anime shows but I think we're pretty spoiled as a fan base.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:45 pm

I have Dragon Boxes 5-7, and the Blu-Ray season sets for both Kai and the original Z, and one of the banana bricks (UK version) of the original Dragon Ball. Have a few of the orange bricks but I want to sell them soon.

I plan to collect the movies, GT, the movies, the level sets, Rock the Dragon, the remaining Dragon Boxes (if I can find them at a good price) and Super (when its released) in future. If I have all those, a 4:3 full run of the series on Blu-Ray and Buu Kai I will be able to say I have everything I need.

Arguably Funimation put out too many, but whatever, at least it adds a little diversity to our collections.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Yes and all fans should be as well cause now we're able to watch 99% of the franchise at a very acceptable price.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Only thing I would've preferred is Funimation releasing the DB and GT Dragon Boxes in America. Otherwise, it's nice to be able to watch 99% of the franchise for reasonable prices as Sintzu said. Plus, you have a choice of how to watch certain parts of the series with the different releases they did of certain parts of the series.

I look forward to when Funimation finally licenses Super and releases that stateside as well.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:46 pm

The releases for the anime have their flaws, but I'm mostly satisfied. Other than Kai, though, I just can't see myself re-buying a series that I'm honestly not going to watch again because of the pacing, other than maybe a volume or two if it comes out on Blu-ray again. Well, for Z at least. For Dragon Ball, I would buy a Dragon Box in a heartbeat, but between the saga sets and the blue bricks, you can mostly watch the show in an acceptable format. I might also buy Boo Kai, and I'm looking forward to Super's inevitable release stateside.

I know the question was about the anime, but for the manga though, I am absolutely not satisfied with Viz's releases, and as such have been importing a foreign translation which I find superior.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 pm

Considering I don't own any of Dragon Ball Z on home media (besides a few random movie DVDs) and stopped buying the Blue Bricks after the third one, I guess my answer would be "nope".

Good things come to those who wait... I hope.

Eventually, I do plan to pick up the Kai sets, when I feel the urge to do so.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:56 pm

Whats the best version of DBZ anime? the Dragon Boxes? what about Funimation or Ocean dub? What about the remastered uncut edition? I basically want to know the best home release of DBZ dubbed through and through. Last question, what is the best version of the original Dragon Ball series?

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:19 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I am absolutely not satisfied with Viz's releases, and as such have been importing a foreign translation which I find superior.
Which translation, out of curiosity?

Back to the topic though, I'm pretty satisfied with the releases so far. It could definitely, definitely be better (I would love Dragon Ball and GT Dragon Boxes, along with a re-release of the original ones), but as others have said, simply owning the entire series is amazing to me.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:47 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:I am absolutely not satisfied with Viz's releases, and as such have been importing a foreign translation which I find superior.
Which translation, out of curiosity?

Back to the topic though, I'm pretty satisfied with the releases so far. It could definitely, definitely be better (I would love Dragon Ball and GT Dragon Boxes, along with a re-release of the original ones), but as others have said, simply owning the entire series is amazing to me.
The German version. It has a relatively good translation, and it completely uncensored, as far as I know.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:30 am

Original Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes. The GT Box Sets (not the green bricks) are effectively GT Dragon Boxes so I'm content there. Buu Kai seriously needs to hurry up. Also while on the subject I wish there were some nicer/more extravagant like box or something to hold or show case all of Kai's Part and Season Releases. Something to just make them stand out a bit more. Other than that I suppose any and all of the few things that never saw an official US release to receive one. Even if they only contain subs. Other than that and the eventual release of Super I'm pretty much content.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:37 am

I'm happy we have the means to own practically the entire franchise, but I'm not satisfied with the Funimation release thus far. Dragon Boxes for DB, GT and the films (and I guess TV specials would be lumped her in the US) would be most appreciated at this point, as well as English releases of the recent specials that don't require a game purchase or something.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:38 am

ShaneisMC wrote:The GT Box Sets (not the green bricks) are effectively GT Dragon Boxes so I'm content there.
This is a misconception that's a little too widespread, especially on here. Presence of grain does not imply they're anywhere close to the Dragon Box. FUNimation's GT masters are particularly dirty looking, both in terms of grain and damage, and not very well encoded.

I'm happy with everything we have stateside right now except an easily re-purchasable 4:3 release of Z. I own all of FUNimation's Dragon Box releases, so I'm personally set, but I'm not a fan of the idea that if something happens to one of the discs I'm SOL. The Blu-Rays would be an acceptable replacement, but the cropping still makes them a major step down.

I will say that I'd happily purchase Blu-Ray or Dragon Box releases of both Dragon Ball and GT as well, though their current releases are ... fine, and at least readily available.

EDIT -- But yeah, it's also crazy to me that I own the entire series, including Kai and the movies, and that it doesn't take up a bookcase. As a kid owning one complete story line felt like an almost impossible idea.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:48 am

Cipher wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:The GT Box Sets (not the green bricks) are effectively GT Dragon Boxes so I'm content there.
This is a misconception that's a little too widespread, especially on here. Presence of grain does not imply they're anywhere close to the Dragon Box. FUNimation's GT masters are particularly dirty looking, both in terms of grain and damage, and not very well encoded.

I'm happy with everything we have stateside right now except an easily re-purchasable 4:3 release of Z. I own all of FUNimation's Dragon Box releases, so I'm personally set, but I'm not a fan of the idea that if something happens to one of the discs I'm SOL. The Blu-Rays would be an acceptable replacement, but the cropping still makes them a major step down.

I will say that I'd happily purchase Blu-Ray or Dragon Box releases of both Dragon Ball and GT as well, though their current releases are ... fine, and at least readily available.

EDIT -- But yeah, it's also crazy to me that I own the entire series, including Kai and the movies, and that it doesn't take up a bookcase. As a kid owning one complete story line felt like an almost impossible idea.
Is it really a big noticeable difference in quality? That sucks if so. I actually recently nabbed all 4 sets for a decent price simply because i heard it had the japanese title cards and the recaps + previews unlike the bricks, plus the boxes themselves look really nice. The collector and perfectionism mindset got to me :p

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:04 am

ShaneisMC wrote:Is it really a big noticeable difference in quality? That sucks if so. I actually recently nabbed all 4 sets for a decent price simply because i heard it had the japanese title cards and the recaps + previews unlike the bricks, plus the boxes themselves look really nice. The collector and perfectionism mindset got to me :p
They're fine; they just don't stack up to a clean remaster like the Dragon Box. I owned most of them back in the day, and recall finding them so grainy at points it was distracting. Your mileage may vary. They're on par with FUNimation's other single-disc releases, and better than a lot of them.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:33 am

I really didn't find there to be that much damage on the GT singles, and the grain is relatively minor. I own the first two singles boxes, plus the TV special (which looks horrendous, but it does on every release). I also own the green bricks. Macroblocking is an issue, certainly, but that's only during really high action scenes. The green bricks just look too damn blurry for me, though.

And of course the singles are more complete. There is a trade-off that I'll acknowledge (encoding), but I think the scales are more in the favor of the singles.