What character would you give a spin off too

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

What character would you give a spin off too

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 pm

If you were to pick a Dragonball character who is not Goku to give a spin off to, who would you pick and why?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What character would you give a spin off too

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Three choices come to mind right away.

1) Mr. Satan & Mr. Boo. It's an idea that even Toriyama himself joked about once, and I'd love to see it happen still yet.

2) Great Saiyaman. I need more goofy Gohan antics in my life.

3) Kuririn. Not even sure what it'd be about, but I'd be into it regardless.

Oh! Thought of a 4th one actually.

4) Jaco. Sure, he's already got his series, but I could go for even more adventures from him.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:11 pm

A family sitcom starring Kuririn. They finally decide to move off Roshi's island and settle into the big city, leading to Kuririn becoming a police officer prior to RoF. Every week you could have one of the supporting characters have a guest cameo as Kuririn gets dragged into ill-conceived adventures to get Yamucha a girlfriend, or to distract Lunch from robbing banks by sending her off after Tenshinhan.

Hot Rod
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hot Rod » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:14 pm

I would not give a spin-off, but a canon short stories to the ones that have little to no appearance, mainly King Vegeta (providing more backstory and info). Tights and Jaco probably would have their connection and appearance expanded a little bit more and Tarble would be integrated in a acceptable way. That is all, I guess.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Team Bardock, I'd love a little short series showing some of their adventures and conquests. Jaco & Cop Krillin would also be a fun spin off series! Oh and of course the continuing adventures of The Great Saiyaman!!!
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:39 pm

Uub & Pan (maybe Bra) - Why? Because they're blank slates and can be considerably nerfed in power to make an adventure story work. They can go any direction they want with these characters, and there's also a lot of comedic potential here. Uub's origins and Pan's status as a half-saiyan can serve to create a great story too. However, they'd need to be separated from the rest of the cast. For example, Pan may find Cell's time machine stored inside Capsule Corp and accidentally zap herself and Uub into the future (as in, the DBO future) or something. One thing leads to another, the time machine breaks, and they are now stuck, longing to return. That, or they somehow become trapped in one of the other 12 universes--anything to have them explore a world/universe on their own without Goku and co interfering.

Bardock & Gine - Not the ones from Minus. If it's a spin-off we're talking about, I'd want a gritty, seinen story that is not at all related to any of the specials, but still ends with the destruction of Planet Vegeta. In other words, the spin-off can take any liberties it wishes to. This is a great chance to showcase that "mature" side so many fans constantly crave from the franchise. It's the quintessential setting for such a story, can address Bardock's first meeting with Gine, and may involve his curse of foresight too. Personally, I'd like a story that, thanks to Gine's influence (who is caring (but strong), unlike most saiyans), sees Bardock develop compassion after initially being a ruthless assassin. I'd want him to start a saiyan revolution against King Vegeta before even becoming aware of a certain effeminate alien pulling strings.

Jaco - Eh. Don't care about him, but he did have his own manga, so it makes sense.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:46 pm

I'd give each character or set of characters a 12-13 episode spin off set during different periods of the main story.

Krillin, Tien & Yamcha before the fight with Piccolo JR.

Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks & Gohan after the battle with Cell.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:30 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:2) Great Saiyaman. I need more goofy Gohan antics in my life.

3) Kuririn. Not even sure what it'd be about, but I'd be into it regardless.
If it's not the adventures of Saiyaman and Cop Krillin, I'm not interested.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:13 am

I agree a spin off about Uub Pan and Bra would be a great idea and i would also want Neko Majin Z on their team.

I also would love to see a spi off loosely based on ULTIMATE Tenkaichis hero mode stoyrline where earth gets made into a living hell and Goku/Vegeta are nowhere to be found. I would have it that whatever villain made the hell wish also wished for Goku and Vegeta to die but since the dragon couldnt do that he had them sealed away somewhere instead (so that eventually they can be restored). and for the third wish earth would be completely cut off from the cosmos so noone can leave or enter. The only thing i cant figure out is who would be the main character but perhaps a new character would work and he would round up some of the Z warriors to take down the villain that made the hell wish (preferably not ultimate shenron)

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:15 am

Hot Rod wrote:I would not give a spin-off, but a canon short stories to the ones that have little to no appearance, mainly King Vegeta (providing more backstory and info). Tights and Jaco probably would have their connection and appearance expanded a little bit more and Tarble would be integrated in a acceptable way. That is all, I guess.
And here we are again with the misinterpretation that spin-off equals non-canonical.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Dotogam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dotogam » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:29 am

Great Saiyaman The Animated Series. :) Maybe Cop Kuririn! Lastly, The Ginyu Tokusentai. All of these characters should get a side story.
How I relax, crawling into bed with my laptop and browsing Kanzenshuu.

AS_Saiyan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AS_Saiyan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:58 am

Spin off about officer Kuririn and his adventures in the city as a cop. Giving him the main role, 18, Marron and Muten Roshi as supporting cast (finnaly give Marron something other than a word once in a century)(Muten Roshi as the annoying guy who always come to visit them). Have Gohan as Great Saiyaman in a recurring role, when once in while he helps Kuririn/meet him while fighting crime himself.

Spin off about Jaco and his adventures in space. Expend the story of the galactic patrol and have Tights and Omori as supporting cast. Some cameos of Bulma/Trunks/Mr. Briefs would be great as well.

Spin off about Gohan (Grandpa Gohan) and Gyu Mao in their training with Muten Roshi.
New User :) A Dragonball fan for over 10 years. My favorite character(s) are Kuririn and Goku.
And yeah, I need to find better signature.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:58 am

Beerus, definitely, i want to know more about the position of God of Destruction.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:18 am

-A slice-of-life series about Kame House featuring Kame Sennin, Turtle, and the Kuririn family.
-Workplace comedy starring Uranai Baba's fighters. What do they do all day?
-Alternate universe where Cell isn't killed and dedicates his life to defeating Gohan, but Gohan just wants to go to work and be left alone.
-Towa, Miira, and Fuu doing stuff. I don't care. We've been piece-mealing DBO since it's inception; I just want to see them used without having to play Xenoverse(which Fuu isn't even in...?) Maybe they are a nice little family and Masked Bardock is their neighbor or whatever.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Uub? I kind of think it's the only way to make it right and honor EOZ. He was given main protagonist position in it and all the power to back it up (going equal with Goku), whether we like it or not. Spin-off would allow him to be the main protagonist without overtaking DB itself.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:19 pm

Mr. Satan and Boo, obviously, but real talk?

Give me that Gohan-Videl family/martial-arts-superhero series right now. That has the potential to be absolutely hilarious.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:25 pm

Beerus. Considering the people he's met, his role in the universe and just how much of a unique character he is, I feel as though his own spin-off could go into territories that Dragon Ball had never gone into before, while telling a really good story.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Three points come to mind in regards to this topic:

1) The first character I would give a spin off too is the history of the Nameless Namekian. This story would show the big disaster that occurred on Namek, how the child of Katas escaped the planet, came to Earth, and how they became guardian. The story would then go on to show more in detail how the Nameless Namekian split into two beings, and how King Piccolo devastated the planet before master Mutaito scarified his life to seal King Piccolo with the evil containment wave.

2) Second spinoff would be on the Saiyans Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz, and how they served Freza during the years when Goku was growing up in Dragonball.

3) Third spinoff would be on Future Trunks and how he protected the earth when he returned to his timeline after the Cell saga.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:04 pm

TheatreStyleKai wrote:A family sitcom starring Kuririn. They finally decide to move off Roshi's island and settle into the big city, leading to Kuririn becoming a police officer prior to RoF. Every week you could have one of the supporting characters have a guest cameo as Kuririn gets dragged into ill-conceived adventures to get Yamucha a girlfriend, or to distract Lunch from robbing banks by sending her off after Tenshinhan.
And Uncle 17 comes over for Christmas dinner! Seriously, can someone please make a fan comic of this premise for a spin off.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Beerus. Considering the people he's met, his role in the universe and just how much of a unique character he is, I feel as though his own spin-off could go into territories that Dragon Ball had never gone into before, while telling a really good story.
Eh, I really don't see an out-and-out sociopath like Beerus being able to carry a story. We pretty much know what his shtick is. He's fun with the other characters though.