Is Dragonball the greatest cartoon ever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Is Dragonball the greatest cartoon ever?

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:18 pm

IN YOUR OPINION
Would you consider Dragonball to be the greatest cartoon ever made? in terms of characters,stories, and just the overall universe in general? I wont speak on the actual animation part because I know some stuff that's not anime that blows the actual movement of the characters and such out of the water! but In my opinion I really do think Dragonball is greatest cartoon that there has been and maybe ever will be. It's a timeless classic that never gets old to me and I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen the series and discussed it. What beats it in your opinion?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Is Dragonball the greatest cartoon ever?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:22 pm

It's a good series, but not the greatest. Compare to other anime and other western animated shows out there, there are much better shows in my opinion. The series as a whole will probably get a C+ since there is a lot of good stuff and a lot of bad stuff too. Also I have a feeling that a lot of people will get upset if you call Dragon Ball a "Cartoon" since people like to view anime and cartoons as different things. Even though anime are just cartoons from Japan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:26 pm

Maybe in terms of influence on other anime series, but it's beat by Tezuka even on that regard, who was inspired by Disney. No, I don't consider it the greatest, or even close, in any aspect I can think of. It's only the greatest in terms of personal enjoyment, but that's very irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Let em get upset. lol If that's all there is to be upset about in this world is me saying cartoon then we're all doing pretty good. lol but seriously I always just wonder what has made me keep coming back for the same story over and over again knowing what's going to happen well in advance of watching it.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:40 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Would you consider Dragonball to be the greatest cartoon ever made? in terms of characters,stories, and just the overall universe in general?

What beats it in your opinion?
If you're talking about the original material covered in the manga (DB, Kai, Z's 2 TV specials) & the last 2 movies then yes.

I think the Batman material in the DCAU is on the same level.
Last edited by sintzu on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:41 pm

It's my favorite cartoon (DBZ).

Greatest ever? Well, it's certainly not the most influential. Doesn't have the greatest story. Animation isn't #1. Battles are still among the best in animated history, imo, but still a tad dated.

So nah. Not the greatest. Best animated fighting show, sure.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:46 pm

No. The Simpsons is. At least the first ten seasons.

The DragonBall franchise is one of my absolute favorites, for sure.

Greatest cartoon ever? That's highly a subjective and debatable topic. In terms of audience appeal, action, adventure, design, and scope, DragonBall is defintely up there IMO. But I can name plenty of animated works that stand taller.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:51 pm

In comparison to strictly other anime/manga titles, series such as Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, and Baccano have it relatively beat in most aspects
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:54 pm

I'm going to say no for me, but such a question is completely opinion based and it's all a matter of preference. I love Dragon Ball to death and I don't know if there's another franchise for me that is as interesting to discuss apart from perhaps Star Wars and American comic books, but even though Dragon Ball is in my top 10 favorite cartoons, it isn't quite number 1. Cowboy Bebop takes the cake for me, as generic a choice as that may be, just because the series pretty much aligns with my taste perfectly. I also rank Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood above it, since I love how well put together it is and how spectacular I thought the second half of the series was. There are even American cartoons that I love about as much as Dragon Ball, such as Samurai Jack, The Batman animated series, and Avatar: The Last Airbender. I think I'd usually put Dragon Ball above those series, but that changes all the time depending on the day honestly.

Still, for what its worth, there's probably no other fandom or franchise that I'm so involved in and passionate about, so there's probably something to that. I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for thinking that Dragon Ball is the best.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Has Akira Toriyama ever actually spoken about the success of the series and that he's proud of it? I don't keep up with that stuff but I'm curious if he's satisfied with what he's going to leave behind one day.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:00 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Has Akira Toriyama ever actually spoken about the success of the series and that he's proud of it? I don't keep up with that stuff but I'm curious if he's satisfied with what he's going to leave behind one day.
He's said stuff here and there but he's never bragged or made a big deal about it so it's hard to tell what he really thinks about it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:11 pm

While it isn't always perfect, it is the only cartoon that I've never once lost interest in since I was a kid. There have been other cartoons that I liked, lost interest in for a few years, then got back into later. But with DB/Z/GT, I never once forgot about it, never stopped reading about it online, and got all of the yearly games prior to Ultimate Tenkaichi. I remember when it got taken off UK TV in 2005, having no home release here, and not being able to afford importing the DVDs. For a few years it really sucked not being able to even rewatch the series at all, and yet my interest in the franchise never faded.

No other cartoon (or other show for that matter) has left such a positive impression on me for so long. So yes, Dragonball is the greatest cartoon ever, and also the greatest show ever.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:43 pm

You know you got it bad when you go walking through walmart looking at big HD tvs and thinking ''I bet Dragonball would look good on that'' haha :P :lol:
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:29 pm

No, it isn't. I love Dragon Ball to death, but I could name ten cartoons superior to Dragon Ball in every department off of the top of my head.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Yup. Its by FAR greatest show for me

Its fun. Accomplished what it sets out to do. Entertainment in its purest form

The 2 important reasons that I think behind it was

1. Repeat value : be it fights, drama, characters or anything. Its got this likable & addictive charm which most series fail to capture, inspite of bein deep & thought-stimulating

2. Staying power : I watched DBZ back then when I was 5. Blown away. Watchin now at 23. Blown away. Will watch it at 35. Will definetly be blown away by its sheer "greatness".

With crappy shows rulling the roost, an anime (late 80's~early 90's) could pack so much punch & THATS a testament to its success.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:24 pm

Hardly the greatest, at least for me. Love it with all my heart but can easily name plenty of series I consider superior to it.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:38 pm

Dragonball is one of the most successful shows ever, but its not the greatest. It was a pioneer in terms of creating that anime appeal internationally especially in Western countries.

The story itself has far too many inconsistencies and plot holes. Don't get me wrong, I love the series and I wouldn't be here if I didn't, but there are simply better shows out there that beat Dragonball in terms of writing, execution, and a better utilization of characters.

Dragonball's legacy will live on though. It paved the way for other shows.
Last edited by omaro34 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

CosmicSaiyan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by CosmicSaiyan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:52 pm

I definitely think its one of the most successful cartoons ever written. And thats if you take the whole franchise for example. Because first being able create such a complex unique story is almost literally impossible for an average mangaka joe. Making it country well know icon for over 30 years takes more than randomly winning a lottery or finding millions of dollars on the street.
Ofcourse if you give some criticism, dragon ball is definetly not a really a cartoon that anyone will easily be able to get into. Infact i had trouble getting intro dragon ball at first due to the whole DBZ mania and images of bunch of angry over buffed macho looking dudes with spiky long hair and very unappealing art style, i never thought this show was going to be this good and interesting And after watching the original dragon ball series and moving up to DBZ it was a such an amazing experience to see Son Goku from this bushy clueless kid transform into this godly blonde being like WTF!!! I though they were separate beings at first!!?

But yeah its still one of those shows that gives me chills still. And I end up loving it for what it was, but i am disappointing more with how its new series is being treated its own creator and toei itself. ;(

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:58 pm

Damn right it's the greatest.

The great characters, the unique DB Universe and it's interpretation of Ki techniques that make all the techniques possible and feel organic, as well as its unique interpretation of life and death, with certain characters being able to keep their bodies as a reward and the plot using that to its advantage i.e Goku's decision in Cell arc. No over reliance on melodrama or complexities to keep the plot compelling and engaging while still giving great depth and meaning to the characters and the story as a whole. The emotional moments are also extremely well placed without being overdone, and the fact that the series doesn't lend itself to be emotional gives more impact to them. Variety to the plots, going from a light hearted adventure in the Hunt for DB arc to World Tournaments to a feared global army to ancient demons, to space pirates and their intergalactic warlord to Androids then finally to an ancient eater of deities. The story flows and grows so organically and naturally with the variety because of how unique the world of Dragon Ball is, with the growth being represented in the character of Goku. Undertones and themes that adds to the overall story-telling, making the story all the more exciting to think about and go back to. Dragon Ball is just a fantastic show, even with all its plot holes. The character variety is great too, you have colourful characters like Son Goku to characters in great turmoil like Kami. They each have their own personalities that sets them apart from other characters, making them all the more interesting. Most importantly, the series does all this while remaining fresh, fun and entertaining throughout, with the main theme "There's always someone better" persisting in fantastic ways and makes the fact that they constantly get stronger add to the great story telling i.e Super Saiyan Grade Forms, without it feeling overdone, since like the emotional moments they're also very well placed.

Hell, it has all the makings for the greatest show of all time in my book.
Last edited by TheUltimateVegito on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:09 pm

No. The title of greatest cartoon would probably go to Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies or Mickey Mouse. I wouldn't even say that Dragon Ball is the greatest anime of all time (there are many series that are better written and organized), but it's certainly the most influential. There's no doubt about that.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)