What was the first piece of content you saw of GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What was the first piece of content you saw of GT?

Post by successoroffate » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:21 pm

Back in my country (Venezuela) once DBZ ended, there was a 4 year Hiatus (Maybe more) before we actually got GT. The only pieces of content we had back then were small teaser trailers showing off Kid Goku in space, some posters of SSJ 4 Goku (The same poster used in Cristina Aguilera's video) which a cousin of mine had. To me the piece of content that stand out the most (even today) was the Birth of Gogeta SSJ 4, Which was like a 10 second video I downloaded online way before GT aired. The footage was the recap of the previous episode. The footage blew my mind away, I couldn't stop seeing it again and again. I even memorized the dialogue. The prologue music also fits the scene perfectly (Instrumental Dan Dan kokoro Hikareteku).

What about you? What was the first piece of footage/content you got/saw of GT before it aired?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What was the first piece of content you saw of GT?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Fairly certain for me it was my raw tape of 59, 61-64 (which I ordered alongside DBZ Movies 12/13 and Bardock/Trunks). Woulda been sometime mid/later in 1998.

Yes, I saw the end of the series (raw) before I saw anything else.

I had of course been reading about it online for a little bit courtesy of Curtis Hoffman's summaries and the rest of the fan coverage. It was still only just freshly off-the-air at the time, so in a strange way it was MORE prevalent online back then.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Probably one of many old, extremely-low-res raw Japanese video clips I downloaded and watched in the early 2000's in the early days of my DB fandom. It wouldn't be until FUNimation released it that I'd get to actually watch the series.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:23 pm

It was probably some episode of FUNimation's dub on Toonami, but which it was, I honestly cannot remember. I think I was like 7 or 8 when it came out, and only being able to watch Cartoon Network when I went on vacation probably didn't help.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:54 pm

I borrowed a copy of the first few episodes from a friend in the dorms. The quality was about the same as you can see in that "SO YOU THINK YOU KNOW GT?" FUNimation ad.

It wasn't impressive, to this day I don't think ever seen the episodes from 4 - whenever Baby shows up.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:56 pm

A bunch of clips on PlanetNamek.com and funny enough the full GT special

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:58 pm

I think it was in 2001 with a old Japanese magazine from a local collector's shop that had images of SSj4 Goku, Bebi Oozaru and SSj Kid Goku. I was new to the series at the time and I was like "What's going on here?" and "That's Super Saiyan 4? That's awesome!!".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:29 pm

As far as reading about it goes, that was probably via episode description type stuff on Planet Namek, as well as the episode guide and an article on it in the one Pojo guide I had (well, have - it's kinda been read to pieces since many, many years ago though). Actually seeing it though? ...Geez, I hate to say it, but that may not have been until it came on Toonami. I don't think we had Youtube prior to that (or if we did, I at least hadn't messed with it much), and while I'd heard songs and stuff from further into the franchise than I'd seen, I don't think I'd actually seen any clips or anything.

I'd seen pictures, again via websites and that magazine, if that counts though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Pretty sure I first saw it whenever Toonami in America first started airing GT because I kept up with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z every week, so I saw the advertisements for it leading up to its debut in that TV block. That means I probably watched Episode 16 first, which Wikipedia says was on November 14, 2003 (for those that remember, they advertised the first arc as the "Lost Episodes"; they didn't air those episodes until 2005). I seem to remember that I was pretty confused as to why they started it where they did, because I'm pretty sure I had already known about the Dark Dragon Ball arc. I was in 6th grade at the time and remember the kids on the school bus arguing over whether Z or GT was better. :P

I do remember though that my cable provider dropped Cartoon Network for about a year whenever GT aired on Toonami, so I ended up missing a large chunk of the series and refused to watch it whenever they brought back Cartoon Network because I wanted to watch GT's episodes in order (excluding the "Lost Episodes", which didn't air until 2005 as already mentioned). I believe I had only seen about 3/4 of the Bebi arc and they brought back Cartoon Network during the middle of the Evil Dragon arc. I got to see most of what I missed through reruns shortly after that. However, it wasn't until the end of 2013 that I finally bought the second Green Brick and watched the last arc of GT in it's entirety for the first time (I had only seen one or two episodes of the Evil Dragon arc beforehand).

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:34 pm

The International Channel played the episode where Goku has just completed his SS4 transformation. I don't recall the number(39? 40?), but the previous episode obviously must have ended on the cliffhanger of "what is this new form?!" or some such. I literally stumbled upon it right when it began. This may have simultaneously been my first exposure the Japanese version at all; so you have Dan Dan, Goku penis, silent scenes, and Japanese voices. It was a lot at once; I was a kid.

Did Int'l Channel rerun the show, or did they play it straight through once? Perhaps we can put together the exact date I witnessed this.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:10 pm

I Remember seeing GT when it was on YTV

whitetop

Post by whitetop » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:16 pm

The only first part i seen was the end where goku son flew off.

I've not watched GT fully as i just could not get into back then, but i'll give it a try this year ;)

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:19 pm

A neighbor used to print out Dragon Ball GT pictures, so a lot of Super Saiyan 4 Goku pics.

Then I remember seeing a bootleg GT VHS set at one of those DVD stands you see in the mall. I think this they had the episodes where Goku had just become a SSJ4.

Wow, SSJ4 was a huge marketing thing for GT, huh? Funny, considering it came in halfway through the series.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:25 pm

Final Bout I guess, but without consciously knowing it was GT or what it was altogether, since I first played it around the time the first series started airing here for the first time. I knew it had to do with Dragon Ball since Goku's kid self is in the game even though he looked a little different than in the show and obviously because the game is titled Dragon Ball which is hard to miss.

But if you mean being cognizant of what GT is, namely the sequel to the former series, then I guess around the airing of Z via downloaded clips from Kazaa or Limewire in 2001/2002. I distinctly remember a clip from the SSJ4 Goku vs. Baby fight where they are both in air and a clip showing Gogeta being formed. I think it was the recap of episode 61 with the Prologue playing.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Episode 1.
I think the VHS tapes came before GT start airing on TV here. Not sure, my memory is not the best anymore.

I remember having SSJ4 Goku/Vegeta Baby cards, before those episodes even came out though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:35 pm

When I first seen it, it was on a VHS tape when Goku was blinded. I bought most of the tapes until CVS stopped carrying them.

DBZASHKACHU

Post by DBZASHKACHU » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:12 pm

For me it was from those Dragon Ball Z Beckett magazines and Pojo guides. Then random images I'd look up on school computers. Probably amongst the images were SS4 Goku and Goku as a kid and Pan. First content from the anime was Episode 7 where Trunks dressed up like a woman in Japanese. :wink:
Bojack- You Fool! Any last words before you die! Gohan- Actually Bojack, there is one word that comes to mind. KAMEHAMEHA!!

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:15 pm

I want to say it was this AMV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CoMNojlTpk
Waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day, long before youtube a friend of mine spent at least half a day downloading a even worse quality version of that video using dial up. We watched it a bunch of times and were thinking "wow GT must be awesome!" Then later we saw GT and "wow! no it isn't!" I might of seen pictures before that but that's the furthest back that I remember.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:17 pm

The first piece of Dragon Ball GT content I had ever seen was probably a Korean dub of the episode where the Evil Cigar smoking Shenlong comes out. I think... Truth be told that's the only piece of GT I actually remember watching with my cousin. I know I probably watched more episodes though given that I used to absolutely love the Korean dub opening of Dragon Ball GT as a kid before it came to the states and I remember my cousin watching a mix of Z and GT back then.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:46 pm

B wrote:The International Channel played the episode where Goku has just completed his SS4 transformation. I don't recall the number(39? 40?), but the previous episode obviously must have ended on the cliffhanger of "what is this new form?!" or some such. I literally stumbled upon it right when it began. This may have simultaneously been my first exposure the Japanese version at all; so you have Dan Dan, Goku penis, silent scenes, and Japanese voices. It was a lot at once; I was a kid.

Did Int'l Channel rerun the show, or did they play it straight through once? Perhaps we can put together the exact date I witnessed this.
I saw the episode where Goku was on the Kaioshin planet getting his tail pulled out. I think it's the only one I saw on there. I think it was in 2001, because a friend in school told me about it. I also remember it wasn't subbed at all.

I think I first heard of GT when I discovered the Super Battle Collection figures on the internet in '99 or 2000.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash