Dragon Ball vs Dragon Ball Movies

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_323

Dragon Ball vs Dragon Ball Movies

Post by DBZ_323 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:49 pm

As you probably already know, the 4 Dragon Ball (not Z) movies do not share any continuity with the actual series. Butttt I am wondering your opinion on what they change? Was it all good? All bad? Do you think the movies are a good substitute for the series if you want to watch it as quickly as possible? Thoughts.

Dragon Ball (Episodes 1-101) vs Dragon Ball Movies 1-3

Dragon Ball (Episodes 1-68) vs Dragon Ball Movie 4
Manga Dimension: Jaco the Galactic Patrolman - Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball! Yo Son Goku and His Friends Return - Dragon Ball Z: Ressurection F - Dragon Ball Super

Revived Anime Dimension: Dragon Ball Kai - Dragon Ball Super

Anime Dimension: Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Ball Z Movies - Dragon Ball GT

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball vs Dragon Ball Movies

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:51 am

I think the movies are good as an introduction to Dragon Ball, like something to show to someone in order to give them a taste of Dragon Ball to see if they would be interested in it. I definitely wouldn't use them as a substitute for the series.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:03 am

They're certainly nice to just throw in and relax if I want a short burst of Dragon Ball, but so much is simplified/taken out, and I just don't get as much of the Toriyama feel, that I would prefer to read the manga/watch the TV series in general.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:30 am

They definitely wouldn't be a good substitute because the movies have very different plots from the series. You wouldn't really be (fully) experiencing the series if you only watched the movies. Though, as DanielSSJ said, I think it would be a great way to introduce someone to the series if they haven't seen it before.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)