How long have we gone without any DVD/Blu-Ray releases ??

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

How long have we gone without any DVD/Blu-Ray releases ??

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:03 pm

I feel like it's been years since I've picked up any recently released DragonBall stuff.... Last thing I picked up was The Rock The Dragon set , lmao
El Conejo Malo

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: How long have we gone without any DVD/Blu-Ray releases ?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:08 pm

From FUNimation specifically? The most recent release is Resurrection 'F' which hit October 20, 2015.

"Season Nine" of the Dragon Ball Z TV Blu-ray releases hit back in December 2014. Prior to that was the "Rock the Dragon" set back in August 2013. Going back further was the Kai "Season Four" repackage back in March 2013.

Let it be known that I'm plenty OK with this. Cool it with the re-releases. This is fine. This is great. Relax. Breathe.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Hahahahahhhha no, we are definitely not cool with it
El Conejo Malo

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:From FUNimation specifically? The most recent release is Resurrection 'F' which hit October 20, 2015.

"Season Nine" of the Dragon Ball Z TV Blu-ray releases hit back in December 2014. Prior to that was the "Rock the Dragon" set back in August 2013. Going back further was the Kai "Season Four" repackage back in March 2013.

Let it be known that I'm plenty OK with this. Cool it with the re-releases. This is fine. This is great. Relax. Breathe.
I agree, especially since I'm not too sure that future releases (if there are any more) will be of extremely high quality given the poor sales of the Level Sets. I'm just extremely fatigued by everything on the market at the moment and it would be weird to get another re-release so soon. Maybe in a few years, but not anytime soon.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:19 pm

I'm cool with no unnecessary re-releases, but would appreciate a DBZ: Dragon Box re-release sometime in the future (I doubt it will happen though) since I'm an idiot who never got ONE. DB, DBGT, and DBZ movie dragon boxes would be cool too, but if I could say one thing to Funimation, it'd be: BRING ON THE NEW DB MATERIAL!!! That's my biggest concern and I understand there's issues preventing them, but if anything needs to be released, it's all the new stuff. Nothing old. Unless it's necessary old stuff. Or cool old stuff.......

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:32 pm

I'm just wanting a DB Super movie that won't be adapted into the anime and that doesn't take place like in the Super timeline like the old DBZ movies. :(

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Just interested why do you ask? Are you conscious of buying a new DVD/Blu-Ray in case it will just be superseded by a new release?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Bardo117 wrote:Hahahahahhhha no, we are definitely not cool with it
Nice generalization :roll: .
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:38 pm

I don't think we will get any this year maybe Super if are very lucky. I think Buu saga Kai will be out once it's finish airing on Toonami. Toonami probably want the show to be finished first before they put it out on home video. That can explain why Akame Ga Kill is not out yet until February when the show is over.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:53 pm

Well what is gonna happen with DB & GT? Will we get a remaster or Dragon Box?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't think we will get any this year maybe Super if are very lucky. I think Buu saga Kai will be out once it's finish airing on Toonami. Toonami probably want the show to be finished first before they put it out on home video. That can explain why Akame Ga Kill is not out yet until February when the show is over.
We will probably get a new release this year, Funimation has released a DVD/Blu-Ray every year since 1997.

Off the top of my head, releases I could see possibly coming this year:

- Dragon Box of DB/DBGT/DBZ Movies (unlikely, but one can dream)
- New DBZ Blu-Rays containing the series in 6 seasons and (hopefully, but my smart money wouldn't be on it) in 4:3
- DBZ Saban Ocean Dub Blu-Ray (perhaps in standard cases rather than Collector's Edition packaging so Rock the Dragon won't go down in price) to mark the Z's 20th anniversary in the US
- DB or DBGT Blu-Ray
- New movie DVD/Blu-Ray collection
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Netter75

Post by Netter75 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:25 pm

The only re-releases that I'd welcome whole-heartedly are 4:3 Blu-ray sets for og Dragon Ball and GT. I don't see Z being re-released again in its entirety on the format, unfortunately for the 4:3 purist that I am.
Working on AMVs for every major Dragon Ball character from Piccolo to Puar :crazy:
Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8PEvVt1fQW

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:34 pm

It would be nice to see a Dragon Box-esk release for all of Dragon Ball once 4k blu ray comes out. It would be a way to take advantage of a new format so as not to completely over saturate the market. It would also be a fresh platform to release the series and movies with the quality of the Dragon Boxes (4:3, original title cards, op/ed credits, NEP's, very minor color correction and HDR, etc) for a REAL definitive release of the entire series. I doubt it will happen and wouldn't want it to happen for several years, but we can hope. :D

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:54 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:It would be nice to see a Dragon Box-esk release for all of Dragon Ball once 4k blu ray comes out. It would be a way to take advantage of a new format so as not to completely over saturate the market. It would also be a fresh platform to release the series and movies with the quality of the Dragon Boxes (4:3, original title cards, op/ed credits, NEP's, very minor color correction and HDR, etc) for a REAL definitive release of the entire series. I doubt it will happen and wouldn't want it to happen for several years, but we can hope. :D
Seen as how the series was shot on 16mm film I really don't think there's any benefit in scanning it at anything higher than HD. If TOEI can dig up the original backgrounds and cells and do a standard Blu-Ray remastering that would be the best DB/Z/GT could ever look. Hell, TOEI hasn't even done any HD masters apart from Kai and the movies, why skip to 4K when the waters haven't been tested at least at the lower end.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:00 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote:It would be nice to see a Dragon Box-esk release for all of Dragon Ball once 4k blu ray comes out. It would be a way to take advantage of a new format so as not to completely over saturate the market. It would also be a fresh platform to release the series and movies with the quality of the Dragon Boxes (4:3, original title cards, op/ed credits, NEP's, very minor color correction and HDR, etc) for a REAL definitive release of the entire series. I doubt it will happen and wouldn't want it to happen for several years, but we can hope. :D
Seen as how the series was shot on 16mm film I really don't think there's any benefit in scanning it at anything higher than HD. If TOEI can dig up the original backgrounds and cells and do a standard Blu-Ray remastering that would be the best DB/Z/GT could ever look. Hell, TOEI hasn't even done any HD masters apart from Kai and the movies, why skip to 4K when the waters haven't been tested at least at the lower end.
I figure it would be more about releasing on a new format since 16mm film only practically goes up to around 2k in resolution. That, and the episodes Toei have on 35mm would scan to a full 4k and would look gorgeous.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:56 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
I figure it would be more about releasing on a new format since 16mm film only practically goes up to around 2k in resolution. That, and the episodes Toei have on 35mm would scan to a full 4k and would look gorgeous.
It would make a lot more sense to remaster Dragon Ball in 1080p then it would to master DBZ in 4k which would be a much much more negligible benefit. Best to hold out hopes for a substantial benefit than a negligible one.