Was Toriyama possibly inspired by DBM?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Was Toriyama possibly inspired by DBM?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:48 pm

Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Was Toriyama possibly inspired by DBM?

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:06 am

If I remember correctly, Toriyama has stated that he doesn't own a computer, much less an internet connection.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 am

As a huge fan of DBM, I would like to think it had some influence on the official story :D. However I don't know if Toriyama reads fan comics let alone one from a different country than Japan. I believe it's just a coincidence and both happened to come to the same conclusion. Salagir probably thought that, since Buu was the strongest villain in history at the time, it would be easier to explore other universes and possibilities than just keep retconning someone else as the strongest guy in the universe for multiple sagas. Toriyama took it a step further and had two gods stronger than Buu but after that he went a similar route and introduced other universes. Martial Arts Tournaments have been part of the series since the beginning and it's a easy way to introduce a lot of new characters without necessarily needing a new threat or villain. I'm sure both stories will have one but probably not until close to the end of the tournament.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:24 am

Toriyama doesn't have a computer? huh. if that is true he may be the only rich person without a computer. everyone in a first world country should have a basic computer and internet.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:21 am

Toriyama makes his art digitally these days, so he pretty much has to have a computer, right? But he's said repeatedly that he doesn't really read manga, so I doubt he reads webcomics, let alone DB fan comics. It doesn't really seem in keeping with what we know of his personality. So I doubt he's been directly influenced by DB Multiverse, and the similarities are probably coincidental. On that note, a constant thing since the "12 universes" concept was introduced is fans misinterpretng it because they assume it's the same exact set-up as Multiverse when there are major differences.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:26 am

There was Dragon Ball multiverse fan fic long before Dragon Ball Multiverse. Besides Super and DBM are different from each other since DBM features other DBZ characters from other universes while Super has brand new original characters. Not to mention the rules for each tournament is different. DBM is also mainly a western fandom thing, I doubt Toriyama knows about it. How many DB fans on the web in Japan even know about DBM? Maybe Kei17 may know.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:48 am

No, there's no way that he was inspired by shitty fanfiction.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:07 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:No, there's no way that he was inspired by shitty fanfiction.
I don't read Multiverse so i don't know if it's shit or not,but this Toriyama copied/inspired by DBM is getting annoying lately.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:50 am

Haji wrote:everyone in a first world country should have a basic computer and internet.
Nobody should tell others what they should have, or do with their lives.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:58 pm

What would you consider shitty fanfiction? To be fair, Freeza coming back for revenge after the Buu saga is one of the most cliche fan fiction ideas. Of course I don't think Toriyama was aware of that or has ever read any of these fanfics. He just really liked Freeza and wanted to make him a threat again same as all these authors.

generalred3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by generalred3 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:20 pm

I always thought of the assumption that Toriyama copied or was inspired by DBM to be silly. Originally DBM was inspired by HIS Dragonball story, not the other way around. Hes the originator so in my eyes anything that comes after are the copiers or the ones who were inspired. Just my 2 cents.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
The multiverse concept is old (decades) and has been extensively in comics and other formats way before DBM.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:13 pm

If you want to be technical about it, it's Multiverse doing the copying anyway ;D
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:43 pm

I think you lost the right to call anything "shitty fanfiction" after Toriyama recolored Goku and Freeza and passed it off as new official designs.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:51 pm

DBM is based on the alternate universe (actually timeline) presented with Future Trunks, where things happen differently to the main timeline and the good old tournament setting which was there from the beginning. The new stuff has nothing to do with it. The 12 Universes are not alternate timelines, we have no counterparts, the tournament is different from the one presented in the fanmanga. There is almost nothing in common, except the tournament setting.

The fact that even those minor details between the two exist is because DBM is based on Toriyama's work, so calling it "inspired" by it is dumb. DBM is inspired by Dragon Ball while Super is the official continuation of Dragon Ball.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Draconic wrote:DBM is based on the alternate universe (actually timeline) presented with Future Trunks, where things happen differently to the main timeline and the good old tournament setting which was there from the beginning. The new stuff has nothing to do with it. The 12 Universes are not alternate timelines, we have no counterparts, the tournament is different from the one presented in the fanmanga. There is almost nothing in common, except the tournament setting.

The fact that even those minor details between the two exist is because DBM is based on Toriyama's work, so calling it "inspired" by it is dumb. DBM is inspired by Dragon Ball while Super is the official continuation of Dragon Ball.
The multiverse concept is decades old, it has been used in a lot of stuff and is pretty common in fan fiction. I don't see why we should assume that they were inspired by the different timelines in the Cell arc and not the decades of the multiverse concept being used, especially in fan fiction.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:09 pm

rereboy wrote:
Draconic wrote:DBM is based on the alternate universe (actually timeline) presented with Future Trunks, where things happen differently to the main timeline and the good old tournament setting which was there from the beginning. The new stuff has nothing to do with it. The 12 Universes are not alternate timelines, we have no counterparts, the tournament is different from the one presented in the fanmanga. There is almost nothing in common, except the tournament setting.

The multiverse concept is decades old, it has been used in a lot of stuff and is pretty common in fan fiction. I don't see why we should assume that they were inspired by the different timelines in the Cell arc and not the decades of the multiverse concept being used, especially in fan fiction.
Oh, of course. I'm talking about the fact that the multiverse/multiple-timeline concept was not something new for Dragon Ball, even before DBM.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:11 pm

What's the winner of the DBM tournament get? Is it a wish from the dragon balls?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:42 pm

I didn't just mean the multiverse concept, but the fact that there is a tournament between universes with the dragonballs involved.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I didn't just mean the multiverse concept, but the fact that there is a tournament between universes with the dragonballs involved.
But my point was that neither the multiverse nor the tournament are new concepts in the series. They are just old concepts mixed together. It's no different than giving SSJ3 to Vegeta or something like that. If Toriyama did it at some point would he be inspired by Raging Blast? No. It's just something that happens to be possible and is simple enough to be thought out individually. DBM is the same, only on a larger scale.

That's discounting the countless differences that make the new story and Multiverse entirely different. I get where you are coming from, but there's little to back up Toriyama being inspired by a fancomic. He is inspired by the good old Dragon Ball(as a whole, not the DB anime). His vision and the comic's vision come from the same source: the original story. Of course there might be tangential similarites, but that doesn't mean one is inspired by the other.