Worst deity in DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Worst deity in DB?

Post by coola » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:03 pm

For me, it is God of Earth, not only he allows Piccolo to rampage on Earth, without doing anything, but later he have nerve to question, if Dragon Balls should be active again, so people killed by Piccolo couldn't be revived, claiming people need to fix things by themslelves, true..but it is Kami, who released Piccolo, it was his fault.

Some call Kaioshin useless, but, his plan was actually pretty good, if Saiyans didn't decide to be Saiyans, most of his mistakes were from his lack of knowledge.
Last edited by coola on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Worst deity in DB?

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:27 pm

Beerus and Champa.
Even though they are Gods of Destruction, the motives behind most of their actions are questionable.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Gonna go with Supreme Kai. a lot of things go wrong in the Buu Saga, but he really doesn't make things any better. The first being knowing that the egg was on Earth but not doing anything about it until Babidi comes to Earth. Second being not being better prepared for Babidi eventually coming to Earth-he should have kept tabs on him.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:16 pm

Kaioshins in general

Old Kai, Dai Kaioshin Sama (the fat chubby who gets absorbed to be Fat Buu), hemisphere/quadrant Kaioshins etc

They are known as governors of universe. Livin for millions of years. But shit happens & they shake their legs in Kaioshin Realms

It wasnt until Buu crisis, that Supreme Kai/Kaioshin decided to make a move.

While all they dod b4 was silence: Piccolo Daimou's ravage, Saiyans invasion, Frieza's geneocides, Cell/s remorseless slaughters, Baby's havoc plans, Super 17's OtherWorld/Living World balance hurl, & finally Omega's potentially universal after-effect frm his minus energy.

All they do is "govern"

At least in Kami's place, you realize he is no match for Daimou's strength. Killing himself was not an option. Hence, trained Goku & even "tried" stopping Piccolo Jr at 23rd TB.

But Kaioshins are total "wait & watch" MFkers

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:52 pm

Vijay wrote:Kaioshins in general

Old Kai, Dai Kaioshin Sama (the fat chubby who gets absorbed to be Fat Buu), hemisphere/quadrant Kaioshins etc

They are known as governors of universe. Livin for millions of years. But shit happens & they shake their legs in Kaioshin Realms

It wasnt until Buu crisis, that Supreme Kai/Kaioshin decided to make a move.

While all they dod b4 was silence: Piccolo Daimou's ravage, Saiyans invasion, Freeza's geneocides, Cell/s remorseless slaughters, Baby's havoc plans, Super 17's OtherWorld/Living World balance hurl, & finally Omega's potentially universal after-effect frm his minus energy.

All they do is "govern"

At least in Kami's place, you realize he is no match for Daimou's strength. Killing himself was not an option. Hence, trained Goku & even "tried" stopping Piccolo Jr at 23rd TB.

But Kaioshins are total "wait & watch" MFkers
Buu would have went on to destroy the whole universe if he wasn't stopped. Frieza wanted to rule it, so he wasn't a danger that any Kaioshin would really need to care about. Piccolo's, Cell's rampages are Earth only conflicts and the Kaioshin rule over an entire universe, it's not their job to watch over individual planets, that's what the God of the Earth was there for. The Saiyan invasions fall in the same category as Frieza's rule.

GT doesn't matter... But the Kaioshin are actually a huge part of how Goku achieved SSJ4, so they weren't useless there. Super 17's sheningans likewise are only about taking revenge on Goku and the hell inhabitants start attacking Earth and that planet is well-equipped to deal with it (certainly more so than the Kaioshin) and the Shadow Dragons are again something the earthlings brought upon themselves, with Old Kaioshin even having warned the Namekians not to overuse the DB.

Then, not to mention that the Kaioshin are supposed to create planets, as revealed in Super, so any damage Frieza, the Saiyans or Cell could do would have been easily replaceable. Buu on the other hand threatened the Kaioshin Realm itself and with that gone... Let's just say Beerus would have to look for a new job.

Regarding Kami... Well, he couldn't just outright kill Daimao, but he could have sent Mr Popo from time to time to keep the guy in check, so it was pretty stupid he didn't do that. However, the worst deity for me has to be Dai Kaio. The guy does literally nothing and is also kind of annoying.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:23 pm

Supreme Kai. His idiocy, horrible judge of character and lack of providing information pretty much kick started the Majin Boo arc.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Kaioshin's not at fault for the Boo arc -- the Saiyans are. Kaioshin is the Trunks of his arc, the only character reasonably insisting they make stopping the threat their priority.

The deities in Dragon Ball are mostly an ineffective, capricious bunch, so it's actually kind of difficult to choose. If nothing else, both Kaio and the Kaioshin do have an oblivious streak.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Zarama.

He decides to create magic objects that mortals in every universe can use to alter the very fabric of reality, then lets some random aliens copy them to make more and more, leading to who knows how much death, destruction, and bloodshed over the eons, both as as result of the wishes themselves and of wars fought over the acquisition of the orbs. Really, what was he thinking?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:50 pm

I've always found the Kaioshins pretty boring. Not complex like God, not funny like Kaio, not as entertaining as Beerus; they're just... there.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:37 am

@ darkton

I agree with ur points on God (being complex) & Kaios being funny/wacky. But Beerus part....

I just cant bring myself to regard an egyptian cat (who's character is defined purely by his infatuation for cakes) to be entertaining & hence, being regarded as superior to Kaioshins

You may blame Toriyama for not botherin drawing even 2 page to delve Kaioshin's backstory & their ties to Buu. But anime gave a good 15-20 minutes detail about Kaioshins of every quadrant. Their fight & subsequent absorption into Buu.

Hardly a glimpse of it was shown in the manga. While Beerus was poster boy for every DBZ material ever since BOG, FNF & he still couldnt win me over as a likable god/character.

Classic case of DBZ's John Cena imo :lol:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:46 pm

I liked most of deities in DB but most of them felt unnecessary. I guess that's part of the joke that Gods are useless in Dragonball?

-Kami watches the Earth but only gets involved on very rare occasions when the entire Earth is threatened. That means unless someone is planning on destroying the planet then he's just going to sit on the Lookout. By the time he did get involved in the series, he was too outclassed to be of any help. It makes me wonder what the previous guardian of Earth did throughout his career. Kami contributed the Dragonballs and trained some of the heroes. What did that guy do?

-I liked King Kai but I always confused about his role. He watches over his quadrant of the universe but is too weak to defend it against any major threat. His biggest contribution was training Goku and some of the Z fighters. What has he done for the past however million years he's been a Kai?

-Kaioshin was a little too paranoid but I think he was a likable guy. Still not sure about his role though. Do the Kais watch over a quadrant of the universe and the Kaioshin watch over them or is it four Kais to each quadrant of a galaxy and then four Kaioshin for each quadrant of the universe? His role to watch over the universe but only on the rare occasion that someone is threatening the entire universe. During the one time that actually happened, he was too weak to defend it against Buu.

After BoG, Toriyama retconned the Kaioshin's role so that they also create planets and life. Does that mean the Kaioshin are responsible for the creation of some lifeforms and the rest are a result of evolution or are they responsible for all life? Since East Kaioshin has been the only Kaioshin for the past five million years, does that mean he picked up the slack after everyone else was killed?

-I like that Beerus is a chaotic neutral character and the first one we've seen that was a challenge to the Z fighters. I think his role is the most confusing though. The universe is huge so there are many times more planets that are destroyed by supernovas, dying stars, meteors, etc. Beerus waking up every few decades and destroying a few of them is barely noticeable compared to the number destroyed naturally. If his role is to destroy planets in order to keep the universe balanced then shouldn't he follow some sort of criteria instead of just destroying them at random? If a planet can offer him tasty food then he'll consider sparing it. It's also funny how he has almost no regard for his counterparts, the Kais and Kaioshin. He almost killed King Kai because he lost a game and somehow sealed Old Kai in a sword due to some argument.

I'm hoping that there's one omnipotent deity that watches over the Multiverse. Maybe he somehow relates to Whis and Vados as in they're like his children and something.

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:08 pm

Has to be Goku. They gave God ki to a man with brain damage who's only goal in life is to beat up strong guys. This just can't end well.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:23 pm

Kaoishin

He apparently knows enough about Freeza to use him as a measuring stick yet knows jack shit about Saiyans. The fuck is up with that?

Oh and let's not forget his brilliant "plan" of basically allowing the resurrection of Majin Boo come to fruition.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:24 pm

Skar wrote:I liked most of deities in DB but most of them felt unnecessary. I guess that's part of the joke that Gods are useless in Dragonball?

-Kami watches the Earth but only gets involved on very rare occasions when the entire Earth is threatened. That means unless someone is planning on destroying the planet then he's just going to sit on the Lookout. By the time he did get involved in the series, he was too outclassed to be of any help. It makes me wonder what the previous guardian of Earth did throughout his career. Kami contributed the Dragonballs and trained some of the heroes. What did that guy do?

-I liked King Kai but I always confused about his role. He watches over his quadrant of the universe but is too weak to defend it against any major threat. His biggest contribution was training Goku and some of the Z fighters. What has he done for the past however million years he's been a Kai?

-Kaioshin was a little too paranoid but I think he was a likable guy. Still not sure about his role though. Do the Kais watch over a quadrant of the universe and the Kaioshin watch over them or is it four Kais to each quadrant of a galaxy and then four Kaioshin for each quadrant of the universe? His role to watch over the universe but only on the rare occasion that someone is threatening the entire universe. During the one time that actually happened, he was too weak to defend it against Buu.

After BoG, Toriyama retconned the Kaioshin's role so that they also create planets and life. Does that mean the Kaioshin are responsible for the creation of some lifeforms and the rest are a result of evolution or are they responsible for all life? Since East Kaioshin has been the only Kaioshin for the past five million years, does that mean he picked up the slack after everyone else was killed?

-I like that Beerus is a chaotic neutral character and the first one we've seen that was a challenge to the Z fighters. I think his role is the most confusing though. The universe is huge so there are many times more planets that are destroyed by supernovas, dying stars, meteors, etc. Beerus waking up every few decades and destroying a few of them is barely noticeable compared to the number destroyed naturally. If his role is to destroy planets in order to keep the universe balanced then shouldn't he follow some sort of criteria instead of just destroying them at random? If a planet can offer him tasty food then he'll consider sparing it. It's also funny how he has almost no regard for his counterparts, the Kais and Kaioshin. He almost killed King Kai because he lost a game and somehow sealed Old Kai in a sword due to some argument.

I'm hoping that there's one omnipotent deity that watches over the Multiverse. Maybe he somehow relates to Whis and Vados as in they're like his children and something.
I think a lot of this "What do they do?/What did they do before the series?" concern applies less to the polytheistic systems Dragon Ball's deities draw from. We're used to the idea of a more active Judeo-Christian god, but Buddhism and Shinto are full of religious figures vaguely connected to some concept or area of life who mostly just do their own thing. Or even think about Greek and Roman gods, who presumably each hold sway over some sort of concept, but spend most of their time in-fighting or -- when they do intervene in mortal affairs -- basically exist to throw a wrench in the works.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:37 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Kaoishin

He apparently knows enough about Freeza to use him as a measuring stick yet knows jack shit about Saiyans. The fuck is up with that?

Oh and let's not forget his brilliant "plan" of basically allowing the resurrection of Majin Boo come to fruition.
Saiyans were just a bunch of fighting trash, they were nothing to Freeza, as far as he knew. Goku and Vegeta are exception and they were responsible for Boo's revival.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:40 pm

- Kaio is too weak to even be relevent for freeza's army

- Kami can't kill himself , but he could've had done a lot to stop daimao. He could've knocked him out & sealed him away, or something like that. After that, he's powerless to do anything.

- Kaioshin ,well , he comes up with the brilliant plan to never watch out the planet on which majin buu is sealed on.
He comes up with the brilliant plan to let babidi's people take half the energy for majin buu
He senses SS2 gohan & is barely impressed , but is awfully impressed by base vegeta.
He becomes like 1% of his real power after seeing dabura
He wants help , & doesn't even know how strong his friends are.
He hears that goku thinks they can handle dabura alone, but is amazed if vegeta takes down 10000x weaker puipui

He never watches down about threats for universe
He never tries to contact whis to STFU of buu.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Kaoishin

Saiyans were just a bunch of fighting trash, they were nothing to Freeza, as far as he knew. Goku and Vegeta are exception and they were responsible for Boo's revival.
Still doesn't change the fact it took him from the seeing Gohan clearly before his eyes go SSJ2 all the way to his ass beating to realize he was out of his league. Likewise, him allowing Spopovich and Yamu to steal Gohan's energy was stupid beyond belief especially considering he said himself he'd handle the whole situation differently if he had known they were as powerful as they were yet didn't.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:30 am

All of the Kai's are pretty useless.

But Earth's god is by far the worst, I've never seen one stop a threat directly.

Garlic would have been the superior guardian.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Zenith

Post by Zenith » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:54 am

Earth's God, of course. Not much of a debate here. It's a position that's practically useless.