What is your favorite DB series ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What is your favorite DB series ?

Post by omaro34 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:58 pm

1) Dragonball - The originality, the characters, and the adventures is something I reminisce about from time to time.

2) DBZ - For obvious reasons

3) Kai - My younger nephews and nieces who were too young to see the original run of DBZ get to see a condensed, more kid version of the show which I really like.

4) Super - The jury is still out on this one, but so far with the re-tellings and this week's recap episode, Super hasn't lived up to the hype overall. It can certainly get back on track with this tournament though, although it doesn't look too promising, but we will see.

5) GT - 64 episodes that were a waste of time. Some if it was good, great original ideas but horrible execution of the plot. Terrible misuse of a large, diverse cast as well. If you weren't a Saiyan you weren't getting any love, plain and simple.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:38 pm

I still don't see what's bad about it. Much less how it's worse then the dub of Z. (This is of course if we not counting personal reasons)
What's good about it? Seriously. It takes a horribly flawed anime that turned off fans from the franchise in Japan, and makes it much worse. You have the same bland theme playing in every single scene, replacing a pretty damn good OST. They made Pan even more obnoxious. Giru and Bebi have grating voices. And then you have all the flaws from GT itself. But that ****ing theme (themes? it all sounds the same)....argh...

Comparing that to the DBZ dub is an insult. Like really. I cringed. Take that back... :sick:
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:44 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
I still don't see what's bad about it. Much less how it's worse then the dub of Z. (This is of course if we not counting personal reasons)
What's good about it? Seriously. It takes a horribly flawed anime that turned off fans from the franchise in Japan, and makes it much worse. You have the same bland theme playing in every single scene, replacing a pretty damn good OST. They made Pan even more obnoxious. Giru and Bebi have grating voices. And then you have all the flaws from GT itself. But that ****ing theme (themes? it all sounds the same)....argh...

Comparing that to the DBZ dub is an insult. Like really. I cringed. Take that back... :sick:
Although I didn't say it, I'll take that back for you.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:01 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:

The bgm point is moot because the default bgm since the original airing has been the original bgm. Also please explain how the Z dub is better ? At least with the GT dub it's scripts were somewhat accurate and I believe no censorship. Not to mention they skipped the first arc. Also I thought Baby's voice was cool.
omaro34 wrote: Although I didn't say it, I'll take that back for you.
Take that back :twisted:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Pocket-God
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pocket-God » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:24 am

For me it goes-

1. DBZ
2. DBGT
3. DB
4. DB Kai
5. DB Super

Although if the universe 6 arc is good then Kai and Super and switch places.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:18 am

Dragon Ball (Original Japanese)
Dragon Ball Z (Original Japanese)
-
[Power Gap]
-
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods+Resurrection F (Japanese or Funimation dub)
Dragon Ball Z Kai (Funimation dub)
Dragon Ball Z (Original Funimation dub)
-
[Power Gap]
-
Dragon Ball GT (Original Japanese)
Dragon Ball Super

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, the original series with the original voice cast, are what I would consider to be the definitive piece of the anime. While the Saiyan arc is my favorite in the series, my next few favorites are all in the first half of the anime.

Battle of Gods and Resurrection F are my next favorite expansions on the story; while Super is at the bottom of the list for me, the story elements are still my favorite outside of the original run, so BoG/RF can, as a pair, represent that.

Z Kai is what I would consider to be the best way to experience any part of the original anime in English.

Dragon Ball GT has a leg up on Super, because it isn't the third best execution of the story it tells, as I see it.

Super, on the other hand, is. I enjoyed the music in BoG/RF more than Super's adaptations of them; the animation and such are worse, albeit understandably so; they added some new worthwhile moments, but at the expense of some of my favorites; but the worst part is that it's an absolute drag to rewatch. The original anime certainly dragged, but it made up for it with some of its other qualities.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:23 am

1. DBZ
2. GT
3. Kai
4. DB
5. Super (As of now)

Also the word "series" is right for this thread, as they are different anime series (The 5 listed) and they are separate entirely, telling one half of the manga or unrelated to it (GT). I am confused what you mean by this unless you are referring to the Dragon Ball Manga being one whole thing however Super, Z's filler, and GT are not apart of it. :)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 am

I'm surprise some people put GT above DB? DB is consider to be the best in the series critically while GT is view as the worst in the series critically. I know everyone has their own opinions, but why? I do like see what people have to say. Not saying that you can't, I'm just wondering.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:59 am

omaro34 wrote:3) Kai - My younger nephews and nieces who were too young to see the original run of DBZ get to see a condensed, more kid version of the show which I really like.
How is Kai a more kiddy version of DBZ? I can understand if your nephews and nieces watched the censored version on Nicktoons but the original version of the show (available on DVD and Blu-Ray) is uncut.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:04 am

1. Dragon Ball Z Kai
2. Dragon Ball
3. Dragon Ball Super
4. Dragon Ball Z (It has become almost unbearable to watch now ever since I got into Kai.)
5. Dragon Ball GT

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:56 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
omaro34 wrote:3) Kai - My younger nephews and nieces who were too young to see the original run of DBZ get to see a condensed, more kid version of the show which I really like.
How is Kai a more kiddy version of DBZ? I can understand if your nephews and nieces watched the censored version on Nicktoons but the original version of the show (available on DVD and Blu-Ray) is uncut.
It's still censored...

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:26 am

DB
DBZ
DBS
DBGT

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:40 am

Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Kai
Dragon Ball Super
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball GT

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:35 am

1.Dragon Ball
2.Dragon Ball Z
3. and 4. Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT (can't decide which one is better)
5. Dragon Ball Kai

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:52 am

My list:

1. Dragon Ball
2. Dragon Ball Kai
3. Dragon Ball Z
4. Dragon Ball GT | Dragon Ball Super (about equalish to me)

I'm just curious, what is it about DBS that people find to make it so great? I'm not saying you're wrong for having that opinion, but I find the people who praise it so much while attack GT fail to see that similarities between the two shows. Both are loaded with inconsistencies, both wank Goku to no end, and both are just lazy. The only reason I feel people will even claim that DBS is so much better than GT is just because Toriyama wrote it.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:58 am

I'm more surprised at people who put GT or Super above original Dragon Ball.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
It's still censored...
There is still blood and cursing. It's not much censored compare to the original DBZ.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:18 pm

I grew up with the Dubbed versions of Dragon Ball Z and GT. I had no Idea who Toriyama was or that the anime was adapted from a Japanese comic and I assumed it was a cartoon rather than an anime as I didn't know the difference between those either. (How could I believe that something as great as Dragon Ball Z was an american made cartoon? :lol: ) As for me I didn't grow up with the original Dragon Ball and to be blunt I didn't even know of it's existence. I honestly thought DBZ was the start of the series or franchise as a whole and I didn't know that GT wasn't by the same author or "non-canon". Having said that, I love all of the DB series so it was hard for me to rank them, but maybe a big factor of me ranking GT over DB is because GT holds more sentiment value to me as I grew up with It and not DB. This is my nostalgic-childhood-sentiment answer.

My answer from a critical stand-point is that I enjoyed GT even after I discovered that it wasn't by the original author or apart of the manga. As a kid I didn't notice all the plot holes, magic pants, or power flukes. As an adult, I simply consider it a side-story and when I watch it even now, I don't worry about inconsistencies or plot-holes and I simply enjoy it for what it was. I think the main reason as to why some people dislike GT in general is because they watch the show trying to convince themselves that it actually is "canon". They pick out the plot-holes and such, and when it doesn't fit they tend to act as if it never existed just like the Broly movies or movies in general. Some won't even watch it because it's not by Toriyama himself. If the fans watched it without doing all that, and simply accepted in the same regard as you do a fan-manga, then I think it wouldn't have got the bad rap that it did if people just enjoyed it for what it was, a fan-made series by Toei. I think a lot of people would also like Broly if they'd stop taking it so seriously and accepting it as what it is. Most Broly flame wars are started over the "my power is maximum" thing because people won't accept it as being fan-made and instead they try to fit it into Toriyamas actual "canon" and when that doesn't work crap hits the fan.

Having said all that, a big reason for the dislike of GT or the Movies is because Toriyama didn't write them from start to finish. In my opinion, GT was better than the first 2 sagas of Super. I think a lot of people would be more open to GT and the movies if Toriyama's name was attached to them, just as they are forgiving over some of the Super flaws. If Super was a Toei made series I think people would be throwing it down just as they did GT back then and I think Toei realized that. All new DB material or Spin-offs is probably going to have Toriyama's name attached to it from now on in some way even if he wasn't truly involved, or we simply won't know just like we don't know if Toriyama is doing the manga, anime, or both to prevent the fan outrage on Super that happened on GT back then.

I Understand some people just don't like GT just because they simply don't like it as it is vastly different from its predecessors or some may find it poorly executed/written instead of just hating it to be hating it for not being by Toriyama. That's perfectly fine, though no one should go into these spin-off series or movies that is not by the original author expecting it to be on the same level in quality as the original material. To shorten this long response, I grew up with GT where as to DB I did not and I enjoyed GT for what it was, not expecting it to be a master piece.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:43 pm

1 - DBZ
2 - DBZ Kai
3 - DB Super
4 - DB GT
5 - DB

I rate DBZ and DBZ Kai almost the same, as that's the story. I can't judge Super yet but I will leave it on 3rd place for now because it's getting really good and I already like it more than DB GT and DB.

Some of you might think I'm crazy but I prefer GT over DB. Even if it's Goku Time, from Baby onwards it gets quite entertaining. As for the manga, it's quite different as I loved original DB manga, but I couldn't stand the anime and i never really watched all of it. Maybe some day I will but I can't bother watching 153 episodes now.
But if I have to count the manga version of DB, then it would be 3rd place on my list.

Though don't get why so many of you prefer original DB over DBZ, if someone could explain I would like to hear why they prefer it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:02 pm

emperior wrote:
Though don't get why so many of you prefer original DB over DBZ, if someone could explain I would like to hear why they prefer it.
The technical aspects of the anime are about the same. The quality of the fillers is also about the same. So, the difference is basically the story. And Dragon Ball is simply better overall in that aspect.

As for Kai, which you put in second place, for me there's no doubt that it's bottom place for Kai. Kai is nothing more than edited DBZ. It's fine as kind of a special director's cut of DBZ, as in an alternate way to watch DBZ, but as a standalone series independently considered from DBZ? Just on originality points it's enough to be at the bottom.