DBZ's addiction

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

DBZ's addiction

Post by Vijay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:35 am

How many of you experienced this? Just like some are addicted to sports, software, drugs, etc. Have you ever felt DBZ to be your life.

O2 to breathe, H20 to live. DBZ becoming an integral part of your life, its literally the only thing your mind thinks about. Vague, I know.

Like watching DBZ till late night at 3.00am. Sleep. Watch the next episode the following morning. Google search whatever "trivial" info you could get about the series. Rewatching same favourite episodes again & again. Talk to your friends about it. Not enuf. Register an account & open a profile in whatever DragonBall-related site/forum to share any & every DBZ informations

Have you experienced this? If you had, whats your view about it? Is it a good thing or bad thing?

I know moderation is key. But frankly, instead of being addicted to negative elements (smoking, drugs, overeating, etc) which effects both your body & mind, addiction to a cartoon/anime/TV show is comparatively better

If you've never experienced it, then pls name any other series (if there's any at all) which has potential addictive nature as DBZ.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: DBZ's addiction

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 pm

I don't ever remember being addicted to DBZ, even as kid. I was a huge fan of it and many of my friends in school and around my neighborhood were, but addicted? Nah. Sure, I loved DBZ back then and still do to this day, even though the flaws of the show are far more apparent now than they were when I first watched it all those years ago, but my life has never at one stage centred around DBZ. At the end of the day, it's just another animated show.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Even though I've always liked Dragon Ball, I didn't become a hardcore fan until a few years ago. I don't think I've been obsessed with/addicted to watching or reading the series on a crazy binge spree, because I just don't have the time right now, but if I get a chance I like reading the manga or watching an episode or two every other day.

If anything, I'm obsessed with owning the series. I own quite a few copies of the manga, I have some DVDs, and I even have a few of the Season Set Z Blu Rays. However I still plan on buying numerous things soon, like the Kai Blu Rays, the Dragon Boxes, the Dragon Ball DVD singles, and the Kanzenban volumes of the manga. That's not everything I want, I also plan on getting various guidebooks and such in the future, but those are the main things. I know my meager collection (and even my planned collection) pales compared to many of those on this very site, but I'd say when it comes to wanting to have the series at home and on my shelf, I'm kind of addicted. There aren't many things I collect quite like Dragon Ball recently.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:41 pm

I gotta admit I have went through stores looking at huge HD TV's thinking, ''yeah....I bet Dragonball would look nice on this.'' hahahaha :lol: 8) I try to watch the entire franchise atleast once a year and I often times just go to google and type in Dragonball and the characters just to look haha :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:18 pm

Mmm...so, we're talking about DBZ's addiction, huh? Such a sad topic...I mean, who NAMES their kid "DBZ" anyway?! No wonder the guy needed to go into rehab :problem: . Really, I'm not sure there's anything we can really say to help him at this point. All we can do is keep him in our prayers, and hope that he can find his higher power soon. Otherwise...yeah.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:08 am

No. Maybe for the first couple of weeks because I HAVE TO KNOW KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING! "ahem" But I do that with everything, after that I'll enjoy it and if I like enough I'll keep with.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:35 am

When I 1st started watching it in 2005 I remember me and my friends were very addicted to it especially during the release of the 3 Tenkaichi games which completely blew us away.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Vijay wrote:How many of you experienced this? Just like some are addicted to sports, software, drugs, etc. Have you ever felt DBZ to be your life.

O2 to breathe, H20 to live. DBZ becoming an integral part of your life, its literally the only thing your mind thinks about. Vague, I know.

Like watching DBZ till late night at 3.00am. Sleep. Watch the next episode the following morning. Google search whatever "trivial" info you could get about the series. Rewatching same favourite episodes again & again. Talk to your friends about it. Not enuf. Register an account & open a profile in whatever DragonBall-related site/forum to share any & every DBZ informations

Have you experienced this? If you had, whats your view about it? Is it a good thing or bad thing?

I know moderation is key. But frankly, instead of being addicted to negative elements (smoking, drugs, overeating, etc) which effects both your body & mind, addiction to a cartoon/anime/TV show is comparatively better

If you've never experienced it, then pls name any other series (if there's any at all) which has potential addictive nature as DBZ.
Yes, I have. I think there hasn't been ONE day since I was 10 I haven't thought of Dragon Ball.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:44 pm

You could say that, but i always say that i'm a Dragon Ball fan, and that means the entire series, not just Z. I've been a casual fan since i was 7 but this year saw me tranforming into Super Hardcore Fan Super Hardcore.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:26 pm

I was a huge fan as a kid buying toys, dvds etc. Seeing new content always got me extremely happy. For example, all the movies were a fun ride for me the first time I saw them. That was almost 18 years ago and look at me now, nothing has changed. In fact, as I grew older and just recently I got reattached to a whole different level as I try to understand the franchise as a whole entity and not just a "TV Show."

I would say DB has become a part of my every day life.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Zenith

Post by Zenith » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:25 am

I only ever considered myself to be a casual fan up until the past 3 years or so. I've always loved the series, but I was never hardcore about it until Battle of Gods information started coming out. Ever since then, I've been constantly trying to keep myself up-to-date on the franchise.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:43 pm

I was definitely addicted to it as a kid, as I would watch it over and over on Toonami throughout the years without ever getting bored of it. And I was seriously addicted to the Budokai games, playing Budokai 2 for like 10+ hours a day for weeks on end after I got it for Christmas 03, and being obsessed with Budokai 3 leading up to and after its release. To be honest I was pretty addicted to the BT games too. I don't tend to get addicted to the games so much these days, as they don't really live up to the PS2 era, although Xenoverse was really fun for a while.

These days I resist the urge to rewatch the series too often, but still end up watching it once a year in some form or another. Hopefully once Super gets dubbed/released here I can fully indulge myself in it like the good ol' days, as I've avoided watching it so far.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:47 pm

I go through phases of, while I won't call it "addiction," I will say that I tend to binge everything I can get ahold of of whatever franchise I tend to be into during that time. Right now it's Attack on Titan. My last DB binge would have been when BoG came out.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:52 pm

I still don't understand how I managed to watch the entire series, and read the manga
El Conejo Malo

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:07 pm

No, but I've felt that way about Doctor Who...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:09 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:No, but I've felt that way about Doctor Who...
That was my last binge. I didn't want to go.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:No, but I've felt that way about Doctor Who...
That was my last binge. I didn't want to go.
Please don't remind me of that cringy line...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

nicolas_3d
Beyond Newbie

Post by nicolas_3d » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:45 pm

I got surgery done to replace my balls by dragon balls! Sad but true! You guys want a picture?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:51 pm

nicolas_3d wrote:I got surgery done to replace my balls by dragon balls! Sad but true! You guys want a picture?
That was disturbing. Were you sober typing this? 8

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:56 am

It's been over a year that I returned to the Dragon Ball fandom,

DB became fort of a self defense mechanism, some deep issues happened at my home when I was 9-15 years old but dragon ball always made everything beareble. Some how seing the Z warriors issues on fighting for earth and justice made my problems seem smaller.
When the 2020 pandemics happened, I just came back DB because it would provide me with a feeling of "everything will be fine".

I have spent entire nights of no sleeping, even if I have to work early the next day, just thinking about dragon ball and when I try to watch something that is not dragon ball I always find something in that which reminds me of DB.

It's like if I would be possesed by dragon ball, something stronger than me. I also get an euforia feeling, when watching DB, if I am stressed I look through DB images and feel better.

I've been thinking what if it is addictive for real?
Have you noticed how the dragon ball Z fights display flashes of white light coming up frequently? like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jNzoX5Of0I

but honestly it is the whole series, everyfight has that... what if that is what creates the addiction? and maybe some people is just more sensitive to that than others....

any thoughts?