How will FUNimation screw up "Frost"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How will FUNimation screw up "Frost"?

Post by Saturnine » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:05 am

We know that FUNi likes to be PUNny - "Freeza" wasn't good enough for them and they had to make it spelled "Fr i eza", because apparently American kids like puns a lot.

So, what will the official FUNi spelling of Frost be? My bet is "Phrauste" :P

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: How will FUNimation screw up "Frost"?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:17 am

It will just be Frost. Funimation is not the same company as they where like 20 years ago. They like to be as faithful to the Japanese scripts. Funimation at A-kon mention that they want the dub to be perfect as possible.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:06 am

A "how will FUNimation screw up ______?" topic feels very 1999. Have you by chance seen or read any of the company's work since then?

I mean... we got "Beerus" and "Whis" as spellings. I don't really have any particular concerns moving forward here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:26 am

Well, in the dubbing department, sure. But a "How will FUNimation screw up ______?" (insert latest DBZ home video endeavor) topic feels very 2010s. :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:52 am

Like others have said, I'd be surprised if they did screw it up. It seems like any mispronunciations and alternate spellings that are in the dub nowadays are not new ones, but rather, they are old ones that still persist just because they've been firmly ingrained into the "dub fan lexicon." I doubt we'll get anything like that with any of the new material that comes out.

Besides which...I don't know this for certain, but sometimes, I wonder if changing Freeza to Frieza was not their change, but rather, a result of the horrid translations that Toei provided them. Probably not, of course, but I can't help but wonder if that's the case.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:56 am

Yeah, I'm not really sure where this concern comes from as far as modern Funimation goes. It will most likely be Frost.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Anime dubs these days are faithful to the Japanese scripts. This is not the 80's, 90's and early 2000's when companies will add F bombs or change things to be american. Sub purist act like that we still live in the days of 4kids, early Funimation, DIC, Manga UK and Central Park Media :roll: . This 2016, not 1996. They are not going to screw up characters names.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm certain it's still gonna be Frost.

The only company that still chops stuff up anymore (that I know of) is Saban. They pulled a 1999 on Smile! Precure a few months ago. Renamed near everyone and everything and edited and cut stuff.

Current Funi is not Saban.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Saturnine wrote:We know that FUNi likes to be PUNny - "Freeza" wasn't good enough for them and they had to make it spelled "Fr i eza", because apparently American kids like puns a lot.
...I don't follow. How did changing the spelling from Freeza to Frieza make his name more "PUNny" than it already was?

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Why would they?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Pretty sure that the 'Fri-eza' spelling was 90s FUNi trying to make the spelling look 'more hardcore', not a Toei script issue, since literally EVERY other translation of the series went with either Freeza or Freezer. Probably the same way they got 'Jeice' out of 'Jeece', too.

But yeah, they don't do that shit these days.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:29 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Besides which...I don't know this for certain, but sometimes, I wonder if changing Freeza to Frieza was not their change, but rather, a result of the horrid translations that Toei provided them. Probably not, of course, but I can't help but wonder if that's the case.
I could DEFINITELY see that. Freeza's actual japanese name is "フリーザ". Translate that directly, and you get "Furiiza", with two different I's in there. Romanization errors like that were very common back in the day. For example, in a game called "The 7th Saga", there was a scientist named "Dr. ファイル". Translate that katakana, and you get "Fai-Ru". In Japanese, that's supposed to be pronounced "FYE-RU", as in "Computer File". That would make the guy's name "Dr. File", which was fitting because he was a scientist.

Yet, when the game got localized in the West...

:problem:
Last edited by Fionordequester on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Sure, that example (along with "Bagu" in Zelda II which was supposed to be "Bug" to accompany "Error") are 100% examples of missing the intent of the word with regard to transliterations.

But no-one was missing the joke with Freeza. If they were missing the joke and confusing spellings via their transliterations, they would have gone with "Furiza". That's not the case. They put an "i" in the middle for absolutely no real reason. Nothing was lost, other than it looking patently ridiculous.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Rearranging the letters like Fri-eza doesn't really bother me but outflat changing them like Hercule gets on my nerves a bit, though like the others have said this is modern day and Funi will keep Frost because there are no other ways to spell it without flat out making it look stupid or changing it completely.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Funimation at A-kon mention that they want the dub to be perfect as possible.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:t seems like any mispronunciations and alternate spellings that are in the dub nowadays are not new ones, but rather, they are old ones that still persist just because they've been firmly ingrained into the "dub fan lexicon."
So "as perfect as possible, except we're going to keep fucking up all the stuff we fucked up before because people are used to those fuckups", then?

Not exactly the same.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:49 pm

I still question why Freeza with an 'i' is that big of an issue really though when they still pronounce it the same way. Is it really that hard to look at? I mean, I realize I'm coming from the opposite end of a lot of people here since I grew up with said previous older and horrible dub, but...I just can't understand the hang up being that bad here. :P
Adamant wrote:So "as perfect as possible, except we're going to keep fucking up all the stuff we fucked up before because people are used to those fuckups", then?

Not exactly the same.
In all fairness, they're kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Like it or not, the fans that grew up on the dub are used to certain things now, and while FUNi has pushed as hard as they can to get better acting and more accurate names and terms moving forward...certain things are just way too ingrained in the English version to go back from now. Things like Freeza with an 'i', the pronunciation of Saiyan, T-i-en rather than Tenshinhan, most of the attack names (considering even Kai couldn't quite pull away from the original dub names there completely) - they're here to stay at this point.

My point is, they're going to piss off one side of the fanbase or another no matter what they do, so really going for a nice middle ground like they have for a while now is honestly the best choice they could make if we're being realistic.

Anyway, in regards to Frost's name, I'm sure they'll just leave it as it is. As has been said, the Fr-i-eza spelling is a holdover from older days that's not going to just change now and confuse English fans for the sake of pleasing original fans, and I...don't...really see how the change could have been an attempt to be more pun-like in the first place since it actually pulls it away from the pun a bit...so, yeah. It'll likely just be Frost. Cabba and Hit will likely stay the same as well, as will Monaka, but I'm interested to see what they might do with Magetta and Botamo.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:37 pm

Adamant wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote: Funimation at A-kon mention that they want the dub to be perfect as possible.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:It seems like any mispronunciations and alternate spellings that are in the dub nowadays are not new ones, but rather, they are old ones that still persist just because they've been firmly ingrained into the "dub fan lexicon."
So "as perfect as possible, except we're going to keep fucking up all the stuff we fucked up before because people are used to those fuckups", then?

Not exactly the same.
Well, continuing with mispronunciations and misspellings is not all the stuff they've screwed up before. They've improved tremendously on every other front (and they've even improved on the pronunciation front, with "Kaioken" being a notable example).

I'm gonna be totally honest--and I know not everyone will agree, and that's perfectly fine--but in dubs, mispronunciations and misspellings are the errors that bother me the least. Sure, I wish they weren't there, but to me, they're borderline-inconsequential, especially considering how much better the acting and writing is.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:52 pm

To be honest, some things don't really match up to me when comparing names between the FUNimation dub and other worldwide dubs. Like, "Krillin" can clearly be traced back to Toei translations, because both the Mexican and French dubs use some variation of that. But then again almost every non-English dub used "Chaoz" (thus tracing it back to a Toei translation), yet somehow FUNimation ended up with a perfectly accurate "Chiaotzu"... Similarly, most dubs used "Ginew" yet FUNimation ended up with the far saner spelling of "Ginyu". And most dubs used "Freezer", so that's probably what was in the Toei translation—but FUNimation ended up with Frieza. It's quite odd.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm not really expecting FUNimation to screw up Frost. They've been handling the translation of Dragon Ball material extremely well since Kai, in my opinion.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Puto wrote:To be honest, some things don't really match up to me when comparing names between the FUNimation dub and other worldwide dubs. Like, "Krillin" can clearly be traced back to Toei translations, because both the Mexican and French dubs use some variation of that. But then again almost every non-English dub used "Chaoz" (thus tracing it back to a Toei translation), yet somehow FUNimation ended up with a perfectly accurate "Chiaotzu"... Similarly, most dubs used "Ginew" yet FUNimation ended up with the far saner spelling of "Ginyu". And most dubs used "Freezer", so that's probably what was in the Toei translation—but FUNimation ended up with Frieza. It's quite odd.
Things like that happen. Ever watch Pato Lucas cartoons, or as us Americans call him, Daffy Duck? And saw on Mexican and French tracks of X-Men Evo and Superman, a few guys names are changed there.