Official "Show off your Dragonball Crap" Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official "Show off your Dragonball Crap" Thread

Post by tronk21 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:49 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:OMG those Shonen Jump issues are so freaking awesome, what i would give to get my hands on some of those bad boys. :thumbup:
Thanks! They are quite accessible on Yahoo Japan Auctions so you can easily buy them. They can be a little expensive though.

Since we're on the subject of my collection, I'll use this opportunity to share a second picture I've just made:

This is the rest of my stuff that I've described. The only things missing are the potato chips cards, which I've probably thrown out in the past, and the T-shirt that is in a different apartment than the above items so I will pass on photographing that. Besides those, everything is there. I still find it funny that a DBZ towel (it's not a handkerchief after all) exists.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:59 pm

tronk21 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:OMG those Shonen Jump issues are so freaking awesome, what i would give to get my hands on some of those bad boys. :thumbup:
Thanks! They are quite accessible on Yahoo Japan Auctions so you can easily buy them. They can be a little expensive though.

Since we're on the subject of my collection, I'll use this opportunity to share a second picture I've just made:

This is the rest of my stuff that I've described. The only things missing are the potato chips cards, which I've probably thrown out in the past, and the T-shirt that is in a different apartment than the above items so I will pass on photographing that. Besides those, everything is there. I still find it funny that a DBZ towel (it's not a handkerchief after all) exists.
Yeah, i might eventually start saving some money in the near future and get a few of them. Perhaps not the entire 519 chapter run over how many countless issues but a little here and there because the original Jump mags are most certainly treasures in of themselves.

I will likely break it down into buying notable issues which contain chapters involving significant events, for instance SJ 1984 issue #51 as that was where the very first chapter was published with the event that started it all. Of course that being when Goku and Bulma met for the first time on Mount Paozu.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:14 pm

Here's a new photo of all my DB related crap, owing to the fact that there was some stuff left out of the last pic i uploaded about a month ago and not to mention things i've acquired since then.

Manga/Guidebooks:

VHS:

Anime: Part 1 (DB/DBZ)

Anime: Part 2 (More DBZ and GT)

Anime: Part 3 (More GT)

Anime: Part 4 (Kai and specials/movies)

Games #1 (PS1)

Games #2 (GameCube)

Games #3 (PS2)

Games #4 (PS3)

Shirts:

Toys/Collectibles:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Broly merch done.... (for now anyway)!

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:13 pm

This is my newest animation cel from GT

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:41 pm

Just a couple of things. I like Dragon Ball I guess...

"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:41 pm Just a couple of things. I like Dragon Ball I guess...

Wow, that's one hell of an awesome collection you have there. I have a pretty sizeable one myself as seen a few posts up but not quite to the extend like what you've got.

Also props on the home video stuff, it appears like you have almost all of the DVD/BD releases put out by FUNi with some Toei and fansub stuff thrown in for good measure!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 pm

You know I never thought this day would come but last week I finally got my hands on these bad boys (Badmans? Badmen?). Also working on getting Dragon Ball and GT in my desired formats, basically just avoiding all the ‘bricks’ all together. May pick up the blue ones, though, we’ll see. Also I can’t decide how to buy the movies and the TV Specials are especially bad since pretty much every version has compromises.

Full collection image to come once it's more put together.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Congrats man i remember this day years ago and the Japanese import ones as well now that was a crazy day. Hopeful to have another great day regarding Dragon Ball home media with this 30th Anniversary set. Guess we will see :O

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 pm You know I never thought this day would come but last week I finally got my hands on these bad boys (Badmans? Badmen?). Also working on getting Dragon Ball and GT in my desired formats, basically just avoiding all the ‘bricks’ all together. May pick up the blue ones, though, we’ll see. Also I can’t decide how to buy the movies and the TV Specials are especially bad since pretty much every version has compromises.

Congrats on the score, i am still in the process of collecting them myself and only have volumes 4 and 7 to go. Also as far as the original Dragon Ball series goes you could possibly do like what rs_chaosmaster did which was to get the season one Blue Brick for the first thirteen episodes, and the Saga sets for the rest or just get the other four bricks like i did. In regards to GT, you could go with the singles and or box sets of them that have the complete presentation of the Japanese version (OP/ED, credits, next episode previews.etc) which apparently was of an earlier version of the master that Toei later cleaned up for the GT Dragon Box.

For the Z specials, i would personally recommend the old FUNi singles since those have the proper 4:3 presentation unlike the double feature set which is cropped to faux widescreen like the Orange Bricks. As to the movies between the singles and movie packs that is more of whether the aspect ratio and inclusion of such things as the original title cards and credits is a factor.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:52 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:09 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 pm You know I never thought this day would come but last week I finally got my hands on these bad boys (Badmans? Badmen?). Also working on getting Dragon Ball and GT in my desired formats, basically just avoiding all the ‘bricks’ all together. May pick up the blue ones, though, we’ll see. Also I can’t decide how to buy the movies and the TV Specials are especially bad since pretty much every version has compromises.

Congrats on the score, i am still in the process of collecting them myself and only have volumes 4 and 7 to go. Also as far as the original Dragon Ball series goes you could possibly do like what rs_chaosmaster did which was to get the season one Blue Brick for the first thirteen episodes, and the Saga sets for the rest or just get the other four bricks like i did. In regards to GT, you could go with the singles and or box sets of them that have the complete presentation of the Japanese version (OP/ED, credits, next episode previews.etc) which apparently was of an earlier version of the master that Toei later cleaned up for the GT Dragon Box.

For the Z specials, i would personally recommend the old FUNi singles since those have the proper 4:3 presentation unlike the double feature set which is cropped to faux widescreen like the Orange Bricks. As to the movies between the singles and movie packs that is more of whether the aspect ratio and inclusion of such things as the original title cards and credits is a factor.
Problem is completion, if I get the first blue brick I have to get them all. I actually did track down the R4 Saga of Goku DVD, problem is it's rather scratched but it's the only one I've managed to find in the last month. I'm getting in a region-free DVD player tomorrow so I'll finally be able to test it out. I've decided to buy the movie multi-packs on DVD since I love the cover art the discs have, the value is there, and the remastering is more or less okay since we never got Dragon Box the Movies. I'm going to track down the individual singles for the 4:3 which are surprisingly still rather available, already have Movies 1-3, 5, and 6 on the way brand new. I also purchased the TV Specials in those white DVD cases from like 2009 or whenever it was because they more or less go with the movie boxes (again, didn't want to buy one steelbook because then I have to buy them all, and I like the presentation of the movie boxes out now far better), and despite the 16:9 they have the eyecatches, and I guess I'm going to buy them again as 4:3 singles too obviously for the 4:3. From what I understand they lack the eyecatches, and the Trunks one in particular has this awkward fade transition where they're supposed to be, so I had to get them twice which is annoying. I've decided NOT to buy the double features on Blu-ray because the Toei remasters are likely coming here now (hopefully uncensored).

Dragon Ball and GT are done several times over (because I had to keep buying batches to get what I needed). GT was especially annoying because I wanted the box sets but I also wanted the booklets for each volume which apparently the box sets don't have. I also didn't want the green bricks, they just look bad compared to the singles. Also got a lot of discs in less than stellar condition so a lot of re-buys. All in all I'm going to have a lot of doubles to unload on eBay! Once it's more put together I'll take some pictures.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:34 am

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:52 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Problem is completion, if I get the first blue brick I have to get them all. I actually did track down the R4 Saga of Goku DVD, problem is it's rather scratched but it's the only one I've managed to find in the last month. I'm getting in a region-free DVD player tomorrow so I'll finally be able to test it out. I've decided to buy the movie multi-packs on DVD since I love the cover art the discs have, the value is there, and the remastering is more or less okay since we never got Dragon Box the Movies. I'm going to track down the individual singles for the 4:3 which are surprisingly still rather available, already have Movies 1-3, 5, and 6 on the way brand new. I also purchased the TV Specials in those white DVD cases from like 2009 or whenever it was because they more or less go with the movie boxes (again, didn't want to buy one steelbook because then I have to buy them all, and I like the presentation of the movie boxes out now far better), and despite the 16:9 they have the eyecatches, and I guess I'm going to buy them again as 4:3 singles too obviously for the 4:3. From what I understand they lack the eyecatches, and the Trunks one in particular has this awkward fade transition where they're supposed to be, so I had to get them twice which is annoying. I've decided NOT to buy the double features on Blu-ray because the Toei remasters are likely coming here now (hopefully uncensored).

Dragon Ball and GT are done several times over (because I had to keep buying batches to get what I needed). GT was especially annoying because I wanted the box sets but I also wanted the booklets for each volume which apparently the box sets don't have. I also didn't want the green bricks, they just look bad compared to the singles. Also got a lot of discs in less than stellar condition so a lot of re-buys. All in all I'm going to have a lot of doubles to unload on eBay! Once it's more put together I'll take some pictures.
Ok fair enough, i was making some suggestions how to go about it but it's ultimately up to you. All of us here have our own different ways in which we have amassed our Dragon Ball home video collections over time.

Looking forward to seeing those pics of what your collection looks like altogether.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:15 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:34 am Ok fair enough, i was making some suggestions how to go about it but it's ultimately up to you. All of us here have our own different ways in which we have amassed our Dragon Ball home video collections over time.

Looking forward to seeing those pics of what your collection looks like altogether.
Thanks man, hopefully it'll start coming together this week! I've also just ordered a big surprise, the Rock the Dragon set brand new and sealed! For $300 I couldn't pass it up since this thing seems to go for that amount in a beaten up box. Of course I'm going to be opening it at some point! I planned on picking up the old Pioneer singles but I think in the long run it would've been about the same to pick up this pack of nostalgia. Crazy that I'm excited over scoring this set of what was a censored problematic dub but watching it every morning before school is what got me here, so why not.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:15 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:34 am Ok fair enough, i was making some suggestions how to go about it but it's ultimately up to you. All of us here have our own different ways in which we have amassed our Dragon Ball home video collections over time.

Thanks man, hopefully it'll start coming together this week! I've also just ordered a big surprise, the Rock the Dragon set brand new and sealed! For $300 I couldn't pass it up since this thing seems to go for that amount in a beaten up box. Of course I'm going to be opening it at some point! I planned on picking up the old Pioneer singles but I think in the long run it would've been about the same to pick up this pack of nostalgia. Crazy that I'm excited over scoring this set of what was a censored problematic dub but watching it every morning before school is what got me here, so why not.
Wow that's definitely quite a neat score there, i may eventually look for a copy of the Rock the Dragon set myself even though i don't have a ton of nostalgia for the Ocean dub. That's mainly because it is an interesting piece of Dragon Ball's over 20+ year history here in the States. I did actually catch some of them back when they were re running on Toonami when i was a young kid in the early 2000's though i had mostly started watching the show well after the in house cast started dubbing the show.

That was sometime in around mid 2002 or so, most likely during a break when the Majin Buu episodes were originally running on Cartoon Network. Oh how long it has been.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:07 pm

I’m going to try and finally get a full collection picture together this weekend, we just moved so everything’s scattered about still. However, really happy this just came and a day early too! I couldn’t pass it up because I see this usually going for much, much higher for reasons I can’t explain. It’s still sealed and part of me doesn’t want to open it but I still probably will at some point.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:07 pm I’m going to try and finally get a full collection picture together this weekend, we just moved so everything’s scattered about still. However, really happy this just came and a day early too! I couldn’t pass it up because I see this usually going for much, much higher for reasons I can’t explain. It’s still sealed and part of me doesn’t want to open it but I still probably will at some point.

Alright looking good there, i hope to eventually get a copy myself because the Ocean dub is quite an interesting chapter in the over 20 history the Dragon Ball franchise here. Though i don't have a ton of nostalgia for it since i started watching the show after the in house cast had already taken over it would still be cool to have as a nice addition to my collection.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:40 am

Well I don't have quite as big a collection as everyone here, but I have quite a bit of stuff and its growing all the time.

This is the main anime section. I try to support the UK and Irish releases as much as I can, hence why I own Manga's versions of the bricks and have all the movies up to Broly (which were on sale on Zavvi so had no problems double dipping) other than the OG movie 4-pack as it hasn't been released here. Proud to have the Pioneer movies too. I like Funimation's season Blu-Rays despite their problems because they have great cover art, the best legally available audio for the Japanese version and nice extras. I also bought Manga's version of Kai Seasons 1 and 2 for the Yamamoto score. I used to have the Dragon Boxes but I sold them to have some money set aside for the new Blu-Rays by TOEI, which will hopefully have everything including the Japanese title cards, NEPs, broadcast audio, 4:3 and be the definitive release.

Thanks to Baggie Saiyan I now have the UK version of Battle of Gods with the art cards. Really happy with this, I have since placed it next to their Resurrection F Collector's Edition but the previous image is the most consistent picture of my shelves in a while so still need to rearrange the rest on the main shelf. I also have the Funimation double features, which I purchased when I was too inpatient to wait for Manga UK's release.

And some miscellaneous DVDs. The Big Green DVDs from back in the day are nice to have as a funny little footnote in the history of UK Dragon Ball releases. I got Arrival from a seller on Ebay for less than €5, was delighted with that. I'd love to own the rest of the Saban Ocean dub someday, but they would be expensive to collect whether I track down the remaining Pioneer singles or take the plunge on Rock the Dragon, that too is out of my price range. Definitely encourage anyone who wants the set to come down in price to keep recommending Manga UK to license it.

I have most of the manga, but have been meaning to get the remainder of the original 16 volumes, since then I picked up some of the 3-in-1s as they were cheaper and more readily available where I live. Who knows, being the collector I am I may end up having a full collection of the single volumes and 3-in-1s.

Of course I have been keeping up with the Super manga. I plan on getting volume 4 and That Time I Got Reincarnated As Yamcha soon.

Another work-in-progress is my collection of Derek Padula's books.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:15 am

@Dragon Ball Ireland

broken images friendo

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm

Well now that it’s more put together I’ve finally decided to share some pictures of my near-complete Dragon Ball collection. That empty space on the top shelf next to the DB Saga sets (with custom Volume 1 cover for my R4 Saga of Goku courtesy of eledoremassis02, thank you again!) will be filled with a complete set of DBZ 4:3 movie singles (as well as the Dragon Ball ‘Movie Box’ with DB movies 2-4) which I believe will be here tomorrow. Obviously Super is ongoing with Volume 7 out Tuesday and Broly coming in a few weeks, so I put in some of my other DVD collections just to fill in the space for now.

I wanted to go for quality over quantity, I have no interest in picking up every single piece of Dragon Ball media ever, just the ones that I feel are the best versions. The Z Specials suck because the singles are 4:3, but don’t come with the eyecatches. To get those, I had to buy them again in 16:9 which sucked. Those UUE Movies 1-3 will be moved to the top shelf with the other movies when I get the Pioneer Movies 1-3 which will go on that second shelf.

Yes I’m aware of the blue bricks, so I got the first two blue bricks years ago at AnimeNEXT 2010, and I’ll be finishing the set for...reasons I can’t explain, honestly...

Oh and that ‘Best Fights’ DVD was $3 at Walmart and I was morbidly curious how orange brick footage looks, so I grabbed it. That’s really the only reason I did.