Official "Show off your Dragonball Crap" Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Official "Show off your Dragonball Crap" Thread

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:06 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm Well now that it’s more put together I’ve finally decided to share some pictures of my near-complete Dragon Ball collection. That empty space on the top shelf next to the DB Saga sets (with custom Volume 1 cover for my R4 Saga of Goku courtesy of eledoremassis02, thank you again!) will be filled with a complete set of DBZ 4:3 movie singles (as well as the Dragon Ball ‘Movie Box’ with DB movies 2-4) which I believe will be here tomorrow. Obviously Super is ongoing with Volume 7 out Tuesday and Broly coming in a few weeks, so I put in some of my other DVD collections just to fill in the space for now.

I wanted to go for quality over quantity, I have no interest in picking up every single piece of Dragon Ball media ever, just the ones that I feel are the best versions. The Z Specials suck because the singles are 4:3, but don’t come with the eyecatches. To get those, I had to buy them again in 16:9 which sucked. Those UUE Movies 1-3 will be moved to the top shelf with the other movies when I get the Pioneer Movies 1-3 which will go on that second shelf.

Yes I’m aware of the blue bricks, so I got the first two blue bricks years ago at AnimeNEXT 2010, and I’ll be finishing the set for...reasons I can’t explain, honestly...

Oh and that ‘Best Fights’ DVD was $3 at Walmart and I was morbidly curious how orange brick footage looks, so I grabbed it. That’s really the only reason I did.

All right it's lookin' like a nice setup there, your collection is fairly similar to mine although the main difference between them is that i don't have the DB Saga sets or the Rock the Dragon set or the 16:9 versions of the Z specials. I'm also collecting the 4:3 versions of the movies in order to have them all in both the fullscreen and widescreen aspect ratios.

Anyway here's my own collection although i already initially posted it many pages ago, just thought you'd like to see it and for me to show where mine currently is at this point. I've limited it to just the photos of the home video stuff unlike the full photo which has everything in the collection that you can easily go back and see.

Anime: Part 1 (DB/DBZ)

Anime: Part 2 (More DBZ and GT)

Anime: Part 3 (More GT)

Anime: Part 4 (Kai and specials/movies)

Anime: Part 5 (Super)

Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:24 pm

Nice. Yeah, like I said the only reason I got them in both formats is because of the lack of eyecatches on the singles, and the R2 Special Selection DVD is a lot on the secondary market and of course no subtitles. Like I said I went for quality over quantity, my thought process was ‘Which release offers a subtitled experience as close to the Japanese broadcast as possible?’ and went from there. Rule 2 - if It’s available on native HD (Kai, Super, etc.), get it on Blu-ray.

I thought about grabbing Dragon Box the Movies and (as I said) the Special Selection DVD, hell I have a region free DVD player, but I opted to stick to releases that have subtitles rather than venture into raw territory.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:36 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:24 pm Nice. Yeah, like I said the only reason I got them in both formats is because of the lack of eyecatches on the singles, and the R2 Special Selection DVD is a lot on the secondary market and of course no subtitles. Like I said I went for quality over quantity, my thought process was ‘What releases offers a subtitled experience as close to the Japanese broadcast as possible?’ and went from there. Rule 2 - if It’s available on native HD (Kai, Super, etc.), get it on Blu-ray.

I thought about grabbing Dragon Box the Movies and (as I said) the Special Selection DVD, hell I have a region free DVD player, but I opted to stick to releases that have subtitles rather than venture into raw territory.
Thanks i'm glad you like it, anyway yeah i went with the old 4:3 singles for the specials even with those missing elements since having them in the proper aspect ratio is the thing that really drew me to search them out. In terms of your second point yeah but given that i am not really so much of a Blu-ray user i opted to go for the DVD sets of Kai and Super partly because of price and mostly that i also wanted to watch them on my computer with ripping and backing them up to m4v files in order to have them all for viewing anytime without using the discs too much and getting them scratched up, which is especially the case with my Dragon Boxes given how pricey and rare they are these days.

Yeah, thought there are subitle patch files and programs you can use on the R2 versions that does sound like it would be more amounts of work and trouble than it's worth.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:46 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm Well now that it’s more put together I’ve finally decided to share some pictures of my near-complete Dragon Ball collection. That empty space on the top shelf next to the DB Saga sets (with custom Volume 1 cover for my R4 Saga of Goku courtesy of eledoremassis02, thank you again!) will be filled with a complete set of DBZ 4:3 movie singles (as well as the Dragon Ball ‘Movie Box’ with DB movies 2-4) which I believe will be here tomorrow. Obviously Super is ongoing with Volume 7 out Tuesday and Broly coming in a few weeks, so I put in some of my other DVD collections just to fill in the space for now.

I wanted to go for quality over quantity, I have no interest in picking up every single piece of Dragon Ball media ever, just the ones that I feel are the best versions. The Z Specials suck because the singles are 4:3, but don’t come with the eyecatches. To get those, I had to buy them again in 16:9 which sucked. Those UUE Movies 1-3 will be moved to the top shelf with the other movies when I get the Pioneer Movies 1-3 which will go on that second shelf.

Yes I’m aware of the blue bricks, so I got the first two blue bricks years ago at AnimeNEXT 2010, and I’ll be finishing the set for...reasons I can’t explain, honestly...

Oh and that ‘Best Fights’ DVD was $3 at Walmart and I was morbidly curious how orange brick footage looks, so I grabbed it. That’s really the only reason I did.
Very nice and very clean set up. Your collection habits seem similar to mine in a way, haha. Did you get the Dragon Ball Movie Box because of the issue with Movie 2's frame rate (in the DB movie 4 pack) by chance?

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:49 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:46 pm Very nice and very clean set up. Your collection habits seem similar to mine in a way, haha. Did you get the Dragon Ball Movie Box because of the issue with Movie 2's frame rate (in the DB movie 4 pack) by chance?
Yes, and thanks! I’m not totally familiar with what exactly the frame rate issue is because I haven’t popped in the disc or did the research, I’m just aware that there’s a frame rate issue. And problem is with me if I get the single for Movie 2, now I have to get all the singles even though I already own them.

Come to think of it, that’s probably the same stupid reason I have to finish the blue bricks. I have the first two so now I have to finish the set. I could sell them but they were purchased at a con where I had probably the most fantastic time of any convention I’ve ever been to. Damn.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:51 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:46 pm

Very nice and very clean set up. Your collection habits seem similar to mine in a way, haha. Did you get the Dragon Ball Movie Box because of the issue with Movie 2's frame rate (in the DB movie 4 pack) by chance?
I did that very thing myself actually, although rather than buying the 3 pack box being that i already had the four movie collection i had found where they were selling just Sleeping Princess by itself on Amazon and bought it rather than having to make redundant purchases of Mystical Adventure and Path to Power along with that.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:55 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:49 pm
Forte224 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:46 pm Very nice and very clean set up. Your collection habits seem similar to mine in a way, haha. Did you get the Dragon Ball Movie Box because of the issue with Movie 2's frame rate (in the DB movie 4 pack) by chance?
Yes, and thanks! I’m not totally familiar with what exactly the frame rate issue is because I haven’t popped in the disc or did the research, I’m just aware that there’s a frame rate issue. And problem is with me if I get the single for Movie 2, now I have to get all the singles even though I already own them.

Come to think of it, that’s probably the same stupid reason I have to finish the blue bricks. I have the first two so now I have to finish the set. I could sell them but they were purchased at a con where I had probably the most fantastic time of any convention I’ve ever been to. Damn.
Basically, for some reason when FUNi was remastering the other movies for the four pack they apparently screwed up the frame rate of the movie in the process to where it's all jittery and any panning or fast motion shots in particular are absolutely horrendous. I immediately noticed it upon my first viewing and it pissed me off enough to go and buy the 2005 single release separately on Amazon because it actually runs at the proper frame rate that it should.

Trust me, the four pack version is god awful because of that one thing and you will no doubt pick up on it when you watch the disc.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:57 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:49 pmsnip
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:51 pmsnip
Yeah I did what SuperSaiyaManZ94 did and just bought the movie 2 single, but then I swapped the disc with the awful movie 2 in the 4 pack. Normally that would trigger my collector's OCD, but the frame rate issue is just so bad that I didn't care.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:01 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:57 pm
Yeah I did what SuperSaiyaManZ94 did and just bought the movie 2 single, but then I swapped the disc with the awful movie 2 in the 4 pack. Normally that would trigger my collector's OCD, but the frame rate issue is just so bad that I didn't care.
Indeed, and i'm really glad i decided to choose that option because the laggy frame rate is so noticable and therefore i just wasn't going to settle for that mess of a so called remaster with such a horrible flaw as that.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:07 pm

I thought about doing that but I just can’t do it, I need completion! Even if it’s pure garbage I have to finish collecting all the pieces of the garbage especially if said garbage has memories behind it. Trust me if I somehow got my hands on a couple of orange bricks purchased on what may happen to be a wonderfully memorable day, I’d have to finish the damn orange bricks.

Better to just grab the box and call it done.

Oh! And something to round out the collection currently on the way from Japan, I managed to pick up original Japanese posters from 1991 and 1992 for Movies 5 and 6. The one for 5 was actually used to advertise in some capacity! The one for 6 is in impeccable shape which makes me think it’s possible it wasn’t used (or that particular theater just took better care of their posters). I just picked up frames today, I’ll definitely be showing those off when they get here.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:07 pm
I thought about doing that but I just can’t do it, I need completion! Even if it’s pure garbage I have to finish collecting all the pieces of the garbage especially if said garbage has memories behind it. Trust me if I somehow got my hands on a couple of orange bricks purchased on what may happen to be a wonderfully memorable day, I’d have to finish the damn orange bricks.

Oh! And something to round out the collection currently on the way from Japan, I managed to pick up original Japanese posters from 1991 and 1992 for Movies 5 and 6. The one for 5 was actually used to advertise in some capacity! The one for 6 is in impeccable shape which makes me think it’s possible it wasn’t used (or that particular theater just took better care of their posters). I just picked up frames today, I’ll definitely be showing those off when they get here.
Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing with the way you did it. It really is a shame that the movie 4 pack had that issue, otherwise it would be a perfectly serviceable release. My main reason for replacing the disc is that I have what is called a "Here you go, friend" part of my collection. It's the Blue Bricks, FUNi Z Dragon Boxes, Green Bricks, DB Movie 4 Pack (with replacement disc 2 from the single release), Bardock/Trunks 4:3 singles, and the FUNi DBZ Movie Blu-rays (I own the 4:3 singles too, but I slightly prefer the Blu-rays). The point is that if a friend ever wanted to watch Dragon Ball, I could literally in about 30 seconds take everything off that one portion of the shelf and hand it to them to watch, with decent picture quality and Simmons subtitles.

Then, my version of the collection that I personally watch are my Japanese Dragon Boxes, which I have backed up to my PC (lossless quality) with subtitles transferred over from the FUNi releases using a fan made program. It's the set up I've wanted for a while.

So, long story short, I replaced disc 2 mainly for the purpose of one of my shelves specifically being the best possible (arguably) North American releases that can be watched on a DVD/Blu-ray player.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:07 pm

To each their own on that note, though i don't really have that same thing as you where if i get a particular item of a series of releases there isn't some completion urge in my mind where i must have the rest because in the case here i got the movie 2 single to address that fatal flaw of the movie pack version though i didn't see it necessary to make redundant purchases of the other three movies seeing as i already have them all in the four pack and the remastering jobs on those were fine for the most part.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 pm Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing with the way you did it. It really is a shame that the movie 4 pack had that issue, otherwise it would be perfectly serviceable. My main reason for replacing the disc is that I have what is called a "Here you go, friend" part of my collection. It's the Blue Bricks, FUNi Z Dragon Boxes, Green Bricks, DB Movie 4 Pack (with replacement disc 2 from the single release), Bardock/Trunks 4:3 singles, and the FUNi DBZ Movie Blu-rays (I own the 4:3 singles too, but I slightly prefer the Blu-rays). The point is that if a friend ever wanted to watch Dragon Ball, I could literally in about 30 seconds take everything off that one portion of the shelf and hand it to them to watch, with decent picture quality and Simmons subtitles.

Then, my version of the collection that I personally watch are my Japanese Dragon Boxes, which I have backed up to my PC (lossless quality) with subtitles transferred over from the FUNi releases using a fan made program. It's the set up I've wanted for a while.

So, long story short, I replaced disc 2 mainly for the purpose of one of my shelves specifically being the best possible (arguably) North American releases that can be watched on a DVD/Blu-ray player.
You’re a good friend. Considering how much I spent on my Dragon Boxes, those things aren’t leaving this house. I’ll point them to their local library to borrow the orange bricks or their Blu-ray equivalent.

I thought about collecting the movies on Blu-ray instead, but I like the poster cover art they used for the DVD sets. The remaster is the same mediocre remaster, and I really believe we'll be seeing the Toei remasters (hopefully uncensored) this year and I’ll pick them up on Blu-ray then.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:25 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 pm
Forte224 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 pm Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing with the way you did it. It really is a shame that the movie 4 pack had that issue, otherwise it would be perfectly serviceable. My main reason for replacing the disc is that I have what is called a "Here you go, friend" part of my collection. It's the Blue Bricks, FUNi Z Dragon Boxes, Green Bricks, DB Movie 4 Pack (with replacement disc 2 from the single release), Bardock/Trunks 4:3 singles, and the FUNi DBZ Movie Blu-rays (I own the 4:3 singles too, but I slightly prefer the Blu-rays). The point is that if a friend ever wanted to watch Dragon Ball, I could literally in about 30 seconds take everything off that one portion of the shelf and hand it to them to watch, with decent picture quality and Simmons subtitles.

You’re a good friend. Considering how much I spent on my Dragon Boxes, those things aren’t leaving this house. I’ll point them to their local library to borrow the orange bricks or their Blu-ray equivalent.

I thought about collecting the movies on Blu-ray instead, but I like the poster cover art they used for the DVD sets. The remaster is the same mediocre remaster, and I really believe we'll be seeing the Toei remasters (hopefully uncensored) this year and I’ll pick them up on Blu-ray then.
Same here, the FUNi Dragon Boxes are hands down the prized possessions of my collection what with how much effort i have given to tracking them down on eBay for the prices that i did.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:28 pm

Yeah, the cover art for the DVD sets look really nice. Way better than the Blu-rays. If we do get those Toei remasters with untouched footage (from Toei's perspective and FUNi's perspective) I'll probably replace my FUNi Blu-rays with them and straight up sell the FUNi ones, as they will be the only thing in my collection that literally have no use.

Oh, and having the Japanese Z Boxes makes me feel less apprehensive to borrow out the FUNi Z ones, for some reason. I'd still be devastated if something happened to them, though. I like their look far better than their Japanese counterpart.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:34 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:28 pm

Yeah, the cover art for the DVD sets look really nice. Way better than the Blu-rays. If we do get those Toei remasters with untouched footage (from Toei's perspective and FUNi's perspective) I'll probably replace my FUNi Blu-rays with them and straight up sell the FUNi ones, as they will be the only thing in my collection that literally has no use.

Oh, and having the Japanese Z Boxes makes me feel less apprehensive to borrow out the FUNi Z ones, for some reason. I'd still be devastated if something happened to them, though. I like their look far better than their Japanese counterpart.
It’s funny because for a hot second I thought about picking up the R2 boxes just to have them until I realized literally nobody will care except people on here and I’d still watch the R1 boxes due to subtitles, so it would be a waste. If the Toei Blu-rays come out I’ll hang on to the DVD slimpacks mainly for the cover art and because the boxes are so damn cheap anyway. Agreed though on the FUNi-rays, I saw absolutely no reason to buy those when a better product is (in my view) inevitably on the horizon.

I guess you can argue the same about the FUNi-Boxes with the anniversary Blu-rays but I don’t care, I want my complete set of FUNi-Boxes.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:37 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:34 pm

Yeah, the cover art for the DVD sets look really nice. Way better than the Blu-rays. If we do get those Toei remasters with untouched footage (from Toei's perspective and FUNi's perspective) I'll probably replace my FUNi Blu-rays with them and straight up sell the FUNi ones, as they will be the only thing in my collection that literally has no use.

It’s funny because for a hot second I thought about picking up the R2 boxes just to have them until I realized literally nobody will care except people on here and I’d still watch the R1 boxes due to subtitles, so it would be a waste. If the Toei Blu-rays come out I’ll hang on to the DVD slimpacks mainly for the cover art and because the boxes are so damn cheap anyway. Agreed though on the FUNi-rays, I saw absolutely no reason to buy those when a better product is (in my view) inevitably on the horizon.

I guess you can argue the same about the FUNi-Boxes with the anniversary Blu-rays but I don’t care, I want my complete set of FUNi-Boxes.
Same with me, i am still currently on the lookout for volumes 4 and 7 at this point in time so hoping to eventually find a good deal for them.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:32 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:37 pm

Same with me, i am still currently on the lookout for volumes 4 and 7 at this point in time so hoping to eventually find a good deal for them.
I realized after awhile that trying to get them one by one was not going to happen namely due to Boxes 2, 4, and 7, so I ended up buying someone's complete set. I did overspend a bit but it's worth it to finally have them all. It was a pickup too, so I could transport them on my own terms which was even better. My fiancé helped me out with that immensely. I won an auction right before I pulled the trigger on the complete set on Box 6 and the guy actually put it in an envelope and slapped some tape over it to keep the discs in place, which was infuriating because of course the box ended up damaged! That made me glad I made the decision I did with the complete set instead. Discs are good though, trying to sell it before the 30th Blu-ray announcement.

Box 4 I can't help you, but this seems to be the best you're going to do on Box 7 right now.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:36 am

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:32 am

I realized after awhile that trying to get them one by one was not going to happen namely due to Boxes 2, 4, and 7, so I ended up buying someone's complete set. I did overspend a bit but it's worth it to finally have them all. It was a pickup too, so I could transport them on my own terms which was even better. My fiancé helped me out with that immensely. I won an auction on Box 6 and the guy actually put it in an envelope and slapped some tape over it to keep the discs in place, which was infuriating because of course the box ended up damaged! Discs are good though, trying to sell it before the 30th Blu-ray announcement.

Box 4 I can't help you, but this seems to be the best you're going to do on Box 7 right now.
Ok thanks, i might just be able to set aside the cash for that vol.7 auction with time permitting but i'll see how things go in the next few days. As for volume 4 i'll just have to wait and see if i do eventually stumble across a reasonable deal for it at some point.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:40 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:36 am
Char Aznable wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:32 am

I realized after awhile that trying to get them one by one was not going to happen namely due to Boxes 2, 4, and 7, so I ended up buying someone's complete set. I did overspend a bit but it's worth it to finally have them all. It was a pickup too, so I could transport them on my own terms which was even better. My fiancé helped me out with that immensely. I won an auction on Box 6 and the guy actually put it in an envelope and slapped some tape over it to keep the discs in place, which was infuriating because of course the box ended up damaged! Discs are good though, trying to sell it before the 30th Blu-ray announcement.

Ok thanks, i might just be able to set aside the cash for that one with time permitting but i'll see how things go in the next few days. As for volume 4 i'll just have to wait and see if i do eventually stumble across a reasonable deal for it at some point.
I tend to see more complete sets than the individual boxes, the only boxes that seem to be relatively common are Boxes 1, 3, 5, and 6. Box 2 has always been expensive, Box 4 is crazy, and Box 7 is also slowly joining them. As crazy as it sounds I would consider just buying someone's complete set, then maybe selling your extras. You're not going to find Box 4 for less than $300-$400 unless you buy it as part of a complete set.