Does Yamcha has a bad reputation in Japan ??

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Does Yamcha has a bad reputation in Japan ??

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:14 am

We all know that Yamcha is the most hated character in dragon ballz , almost everyone have him in their worst dbz characters of all time list
And now that i think of it , is he also hated that much in Japan ??
As we know most of DBZ fans in the US watched DBZ before dragonball and they didn't get to see how a good character he was :(
Sorry if my english was bad :P
My English is poor .

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Does Yamcha has a bad reputation in Japan ??

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:38 am

I don't think so. In fact, I recall him being moderately popular and I don't think normal fans actually hate him.... he's pretty much the guy everyone likes to make fun of because he hardly catches a break from the plot.

I'm pretty sure there's ominousity towards characters like Babidi, Mr. Satan, or Pan (GT).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:52 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I don't think so. In fact, I recall him being moderately popular and I don't think normal fans actually hate him.... he's pretty much the guy everyone likes to make fun of because he hardly catches a break from the plot.

I'm pretty sure there's ominousity towards characters like Babidi, Mr. Satan, or Pan (GT).
That's good to hear ... And yeah i hate Babidi and Pan with passion , however i like mr.satan
He's one of the funniest character in the franshise in my opinion :D
My English is poor .

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:07 am

Really?

None of DragonBall characters could ever be hated. Yamcha could be ridiculed for his GF being stolen, killed off in most conventional way which has been a parody staple. Not to mention his retirement/non-fighting role which earned him reputation of "parody".

Which aint bad like say, Super Android 13. Dat is downright dullest character.

But I've seen some characters have unjustified bad reputation like Kaioshin/Supreme Kai, Babidi, kawaii Pan-chan, Giru (by far, most likable character in GT) & most of GT characters (Dr.Myuu, Lood, Mutchi Motchi, Rildo, Super 17, Shadow Dragons etc)

Polarizing characters like Broly & Boo is a different story though.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:35 am

I don't think there are (many) people out there hating Yamcha. People are just making fun of him but he's still a popular character. Sorachi Hideaki (Gintama mangaka) is a big fan of Yamcha and even he makes fun of Yamcha in his manga.

Yamcha is one of my favorite characters but I still laugh sometimes when people mock him, it's all cool.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Wasn't there a Japanese character poll where Yamcha was ahead of Tenshinhan and Cell?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:59 pm

precita wrote:Wasn't there a Japanese character poll where Yamcha was ahead of Tenshinhan and Cell?
Yes. There was a character poll in the Dragon Ball Forever guidebook:

Goku - 6,235
Vegeta - 2,527
Gohan- 2,131
Trunks - 1,487
Piccolo - 1,176
Goten - 798
Krillin - 736
Majin Buu - 421
Freeza - 324
Android 18 - 204
Mr Satan - 201
Karin - 185
Master Roshi - 172
Cell - 170
Yamcha - 163
Tenshinhan - 125
Bulma - 112
Android 17 - 98
Yajirobe - 93
Videl - 86

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:24 am

I think remember Kei17 mentioning once that Yamcha isn't hated in Japan, but he does get a ton of flack for getting hit with the saibaman suicide attack and his death pose is a massive meme in Japan (Its actually referenced in other anime series often.) but Kei also mentioned that some fans were just generally getting tired of the meme. But I don't think he's hated or has a bad rep.

I think some of Yamcha's popularity comes from his VA though. Furuya does have some rather iconic roles under his belt, especially if you are a major mecha fan, his biggest role being Amuro Ray, the main character of the original gundam series. But he's also Pegasus Seiya from Saint Seiya, Hiroshi Shiba from Kotetsu Jeeg and a few others. I will say it is a bit of morbid humor though that Furuya is the voice for both Yamcha and the Saibamen in Z.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Vijay wrote:But I've seen some characters have unjustified bad reputation like Kaioshin/Supreme Kai, Babidi, kawaii Pan-chan, Giru (by far, most likable character in GT) & most of GT characters (Dr.Myuu, Lood, Mutchi Motchi, Rildo, Super 17, Shadow Dragons etc).
The hate for Kaioshin, Babidi, and Pan is pretty justified. They're not only wasted potential but are just alround horrible characters (though you're supposed to hate Babidi).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:33 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Vijay wrote:But I've seen some characters have unjustified bad reputation like Kaioshin/Supreme Kai, Babidi, kawaii Pan-chan, Giru (by far, most likable character in GT) & most of GT characters (Dr.Myuu, Lood, Mutchi Motchi, Rildo, Super 17, Shadow Dragons etc).
The hate for Kaioshin, Babidi, and Pan is pretty justified. They're not only wasted potential but are just alround horrible characters (though you're supposed to hate Babidi).
Kaioshin and Pan are not horrible characters, everyone has their own opinion.
Chi Chi is a horrible character imo.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Kaioshin and Pan are not horrible characters, everyone has their own opinion.
Chi Chi is a horrible character imo.
Not shit it's an opinion. Thanks for pointing out the obvious now be gone!
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:04 pm

I just like to use every opportunity to shit on Chi Chi, that's all.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:42 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:I just like to use every opportunity to shit on Chi Chi, that's all.
Get out :P . I like ChiChi, she's my female Donphan.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
precita wrote:Wasn't there a Japanese character poll where Yamcha was ahead of Tenshinhan and Cell?
Yes. There was a character poll in the Dragon Ball Forever guidebook:

Goku - 6,235
Vegeta - 2,527
Gohan- 2,131
Trunks - 1,487
Piccolo - 1,176
Goten - 798
Krillin - 736
Majin Buu - 421
Freeza - 324
Android 18 - 204
Mr Satan - 201
Karin - 185
Master Roshi - 172
Cell - 170
Yamcha - 163
Tenshinhan - 125
Bulma - 112
Android 17 - 98
Yajirobe - 93
Videl - 86
Videl getting only 86 votes and last on the list....... theres a whole lot of people that can fuck off :p Seriously Videl>>>