New or Old animation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khin
I Live Here

Re: New or Old animation

Post by Khin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:32 am

I honestly would prefer the old colors,i hate the new colors.But animation in general,i dunno.Both have ups and downs.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:34 pm

I like the old style but love the fluidity of the new animation.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm fine with the new colors. Dragon Ball is a colorful series and having bright colors fits the tone in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:44 pm

I don't dislike new colors, though I liked old ones better, but I'm curious to see what Super would look like with old colors (is there a fan-made picture of Super with old colors?)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm not even really sure what people mean by the "old colours". Do you mean the grain and the warped Dragon Box colours or what?

I made a joke picture editing a shot from the Golden Freeza arc to look like a Dragon Box shot. if that helps?
I honestly feel like the biggest issue with the way the latest outings look is entirely down to character designs. Yamamuro is not what he once was:

Now:
Then (excuse the warped colours):
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Just so I'm clear here, what are we talking about when 'old colors' are referred to?

Unlike Dragonball GT which had a noticeably different palette (which was artistically intentional), Dragonball Super uses more or less the same design palette as Dragonball Z - the marked difference being the sharper, more absolute hues facilitated by digital rendering and a non-degrading digital storage medium.

I think it's worth pointing out that the washed-out colours in the old Dragonball/Z anime are largely a direct artefact of the celuloid animation process, the degradation (and poor handling - pass your regards to Toei for that) of the analogue storage medium (film), and the numerous/various remastering processes that the modern home video releases have been subsequently subjected to.

--Edit-- Ajay beat me to the punch.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:52 pm

There's a pretty big difference in colors with the newer stuff, with Goku having a more tan skin tone, vs the more peach color he had throughout the original DB and Z.

Also, the Super Saiyan forms clothes no longer change to a lighter shade of color with each progressive form:

vs.

or

vs.

I also like how the blues in Goku's uniform were a nice lavender in Z when he was in his SS forms. It's a very clear difference.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:57 pm

I also like how you're using the off model hdtv rips to make your point. Can you use blu-ray frames instead?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:00 am

I like really like the old shading of the characters. It seems like nowadays that everyone is made of glass. I also like the way they shaped the muscles. Not every character was extremely muscular but they certainly weren't anything close to skinny.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:02 am

Wezenheim wrote:a reply to my response.
That bit you cited in Battle of Gods is probably my favorite bit of animation in all of Dragon Ball / Z / Super / GT / etc. I'm sure most wouldn't agree, but that sequence (paired with the audio) gets me more pumped up than just about anything ever.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:06 am

Old. The style is nicer, and the choreography is a lot better. New looks nicer in some cases, but drops the ball once motion is implemented.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:21 am

Duo wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:a reply to my response.
That bit you cited in Battle of Gods is probably my favorite bit of animation in all of Dragon Ball / Z / Super / GT / etc. I'm sure most wouldn't agree, but that sequence (paired with the audio) gets me more pumped up than just about anything ever.
It's one of my favorites as well, maybe even my favorite. I love everything about that entire sequence. If Super lasts long enough, I really hope we get more work from Shida (the animator who worked on that cut). He's probably working on the new One Piece movie at the moment. I don't know if he'd be able to produce his best with the tight schedule Super has, but I'm sure it would be pretty nice regardless. The work he does for One Piece (like the stuff I cited in my first post) is so good.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:12 am

Danfun64 wrote:I also like how you're using the off model hdtv rips to make your point. Can you use blu-ray frames instead?
I don't own the Blu-rays, and even then those redrawn shots still use the same palette.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:34 am

Like some posts here have hinted at, Dragon Ball's older aesthetic wasn't as much the result of the animators drawing on cels as it was those cels then being transferred onto 16mm and 35mm film. I'd be very curious to see what modern Dragon Ball animation would look like if put through a similar process. I think it's the filmic look of the older shows that many people miss - which is ironic, considering the lengths Funimation has gone to make Dragon Ball Z look "new and shiny" on its most recent Blu-rays.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:39 pm

One look at Yukio Ebisawa's episodes (at least the parts he worked on and not the stand-in) can defeat this argument instantly. Animators will always cut corners, especially on a minuscule Japanese anime budget.

As for digital vs. analog, all that matters is how much went into the animation. On one hand, you've got stuff like Akira for analog, and on the other you have Gundam Thunderbolt's OVAs. Both of those are covering things with high budget, and both look fantastic.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:52 pm

ParkerAL wrote:Like some posts here have hinted at, Dragon Ball's older aesthetic wasn't as much the result of the animators drawing on cels as it was those cels then being transferred onto 16mm and 35mm film. I'd be very curious to see what modern Dragon Ball animation would look like if put through a similar process. I think it's the filmic look of the older shows that many people miss - which is ironic, considering the lengths Funimation has gone to make Dragon Ball Z look "new and shiny" on its most recent Blu-rays.
Does the transfer to film really make it look that much better?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:27 am

Bansho64 wrote:
ParkerAL wrote:Like some posts here have hinted at, Dragon Ball's older aesthetic wasn't as much the result of the animators drawing on cels as it was those cels then being transferred onto 16mm and 35mm film. I'd be very curious to see what modern Dragon Ball animation would look like if put through a similar process. I think it's the filmic look of the older shows that many people miss - which is ironic, considering the lengths Funimation has gone to make Dragon Ball Z look "new and shiny" on its most recent Blu-rays.
Does the transfer to film really make it look that much better?
I like the film look, but my ideal way to view the series would be a rescan of all of the cels digitally, to see each and every detail as they were originally drawn. which for obvious reasons, is impossible. :(

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:36 am

I also prefer the older animation.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Didn't Dragon Ball Z have a higher budget back during its original run(relative to animating costs of course)? Super is basically a Saturday morning cartoon whereas Z had a prime time slot. Or am I getting that wrong?

The new animation isn't worse because of the way its produced, its worse because Toei are cheap as hell.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:15 pm

qjz123 wrote:Didn't Dragon Ball Z have a higher budget back during its original run(relative to animating costs of course)? Super is basically a Saturday morning cartoon whereas Z had a prime time slot. Or am I getting that wrong?

The new animation isn't worse because of the way its produced, its worse because Toei are cheap as hell.
Dragon Ball Z was apparently allowed a higher number of in-between drawings than other Toei Animation shows, standing at around 3,500. The average count per episode for modern series is 3,000-4,000 but most Toei series seem to stick closer to 3,000. Toei Animation series are no 'cheaper' than any other long-running weekly series, they're just produced haphazardly due to poor management as the studio tries to remain afloat in a climate where less and less money is going to studios that never had very much to begin with.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf