What terms are used in the Funimation subs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Ajay

Re: What terms are used in the Funimation subs

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:33 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:I think you mixed something up there...

It was Suno in the subtitles, and Sno (Snow?) in the dub.
No?

Literally within the first few minutes of episode 35, she is called "Suno" pronounced like "Sue-No".

Though you're not wrong in saying the subtitles also render her name as "Suno".

Both were pretty silly.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:19 am

Here you go. Every single name from Dragon Ball through Dragon Ball Z. The movies and GT have been excluded (I never got to them). Yes, I took the time to do this years ago. Seems like a giant waste of time, but hey, came in handy, huh?

Here's how you decipher it: It's Steve Simmons' translated name - FUNimation dub' name - Viz manga's name.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:59 am

Wow. That's an amazingly exhaustive list. :shock:

One thing, though. It's not really accurate to credit all of those to Steve Simmons. Almost all of the subtitles for the first Dragon Ball series were done by Clyde Mandelin.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 6/8/20!)
Current Episode: The Budoukai Sells Its Soul - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 4!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:33 pm

That's interesting. Yeah, that's my exhaustive list lol I'm sure that I missed something from the dub end of things because I was typing up all the names as I watched the series in Japanese and tried to find the dub translation, but sometimes it was hard due to the names being said at different times, but I got all of the ones used in the Japanese subs and from Viz's manga.

I am on the fence a bit because I like using the names they have in the FUNimation subs, but those use "Beers" and I think it's been pretty much accepted to use "Beerus."

Footlong Shoe
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Ajay wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:I think you mixed something up there...

It was Suno in the subtitles, and Sno (Snow?) in the dub.
Literally within the first few minutes of episode 35, she is called "Suno" pronounced like "Sue-No".
My mistake. I knew it was Suno in the subtitles so I assumed he just made a typo.
Steam - Footlong Shoe (psn_trooperman567)
XBL - Footlong Crocs
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1776

Hit me up, I might be willing to talk or play!