Super vs GT - so far

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Re: Super vs GT - so far

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:03 pm

Can the movies count? I hate Resurrection 'F' for sure, in both arc and movie form, but I personally enjoyed the Battle of Gods film more than the entirety of GT outside of the fact that I prefer the concepts of Super Saiyan 4 to the God form. As far as the "new stuff", its too early for me to tell with Super. I still feel as though this tournament arc is probably leading to something bigger. GT definitely has the advantage of better visuals and music though.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:06 pm

I've rewatched certain parts of Gt so this is my current view on the topic :

Plot line : Both have strong plots but I'm siding with Super.

Plot execution : Super without a doubt.

Animation : Gt is more consistent but Super's been improving lately.

Fighting : Both aren't very strong in this category but Super gets the edge thanks to episodes like 13,14,27&36.

Music : Tie, both aren't very memorable.

Opening and Endings : Super.

Vegeta : If Super's doing one thing better than Z&Gt, it's Vegeta. :mrgreen:

Overall : Super is the better show, it's flawed but it's positives outweigh it's negatives.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:08 pm

sintzu wrote:
Japanese or English?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:13 pm

Let's compare.

Story

GT: A culmination of rehashes and some original story.

Super: A culmination of rehashes and some original story.

So far the same. Though GT brings more interesting new ideas when it does, than Super so far. While GT has interesting original ideas, Super doesn't. It just goes with what works, and then copies it. Ala repeat characters, and story elements. At least when GT copies something, it tries to put a new interesting spin on it. Even if it fails. Super can't even do that.

Animation

Is this even a contest? No it really isn't. GT.

Music

Again...is this a contest? GT.

Characters

I give this to Super. It has more "interesting" characters and not just focus on Goku. Though really memorable is not something we can say, since it has to stand the test of time first. Of course it's memorable, WE'VE SEEN EVERYTHING THIS YEAR! Give it time and then see if it still is. I don't find Tagoma memorable. Sorbet is only memorable for the wrong reason. Shisami is forgettable. Freeza rehashing is like if a heel from the 80's came back to wrestle, and wanted to be a legitimate threat. Their time is over. They don't need to be credible or big anymore. Beerus and Whis are memorable, because they NEVER GO AWAY! I can't really see if they're memorable or not because they don't go the fuck away. Vados is girl Whis so far, and Champa I'll probably forget if he goes away, since he isn't anything special either. GT is in the same realm of bad too, as it's concepts are remembered better than it's characters. Super still while now glorifying only 2 people, still beats GT only caring about 1.

Character progression

GT. Super is in a god damn void. We see the results of progression, but not really progression itself. Freeza being the absolute worst case for his terrible shit arc, and Goku being a hypocrite who doesn't even follow his own advice.

Character design

GT. Super rehashes character designs like a mother fucker. GT while having worse characters, had better looking ones. Do I even need to mention the deviantart monstrosities?

In the end, it's not fair to compare anyways since Super can still change my mind. I'm enjoying the tournament for what it's worth, but that's about it. It's dumb fun, but not the kind of stuff that makes me want to give a shit about the characters. None of them are going through anything that make me want to root for them, or see where they go next. The most interesting parts are not Goku and Vegeta, as they're perpetually the same, but who they meet. I want growing protagonists, not the after years of Dragon Ball. That's what this show feels like.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Cetra wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Japanese or English?
Super doesn't have any English songs currently so Japanese.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:23 pm

Yes but I considered you compared Chouzetsu Dynamic to either the English opening of GT from Vic Mignogna or Dan Dan from Field of View.
Last edited by Cetra on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:23 pm

sintzu wrote:Super doesn't have any English songs currently so Japanese.
I could be wrong, but I think they were referencing the GT soundtrack in this case, perhaps to make an argument that GT's JP Opening and Closing themes are generally amazing, whereas the broadcast FUNImation replacement opening was...well, memorable in some way or another...

Edit: Beat me to it!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:24 pm

I always thought Dan Dan stood out. Epescially Izumi Sakai's (RIP) original. And her "Don't you see!"
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:24 pm

To make it fair, I would start counting Super from the Start of the U6 Saga. But if we are not, the only thing GT is doing better than Super so far are The music and the Tension and general feeling from the show. GT was way darker than Super so far.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:33 pm

GT wasn't much darker than Super. GT was offend view as more tamper and light hearted compare to DBZ long before Super came out. The darkest saga in GT was the Shadow Dragon arc, but the rest of GT was pretty tame. I found most of the GT designs are pretty childish looking too (Like most of the aliens in the Black Star Dragon Ball hunt, Surgoro and most of the Shadow Dragons).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:GT wasn't much darker than Super. GT was offend view as more tamper and light hearted compare to DBZ long before Super came out. The darkest saga in GT was the Shadow Dragon arc, but the rest of GT was pretty tame. I found most of the GT designs are pretty childish looking too (Like most of the aliens in the Black Star Dragon Ball hunt, Surgoro and most of the Shadow Dragons).
When I say dark, I meant tension and stressful moments, nothing to do with animation or style. Like I said before, everything goes south in GT really fast and those terrible moments go on top of each other again and again until the end. We don't really get a feel good moment for more than 5 minutes or a whole episode, Unlike Super which is pretty much everyone holding hands in comparisonb.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Super the BoG arc wasn't that bad, the show is still utter garbage.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:16 pm

coola wrote:Sorry if it look like another Super bash topic, but, we are getting to episode 37 of Super, half point of GT,
Half of 64 is 32 not 37. Do even math. Anyway GT is sightly better but both aren't good.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:28 pm

GT had better plot lines as far as I can compare and the characters introduced we more interesting than those introduced in U6 thus far. None of the contestants in U6 offer anything interesting to me, and I lost a lot of faith with Cabbe and Frost. Frost is a Freeza rip-off. Cabbe is a lanky Tarble clone. The robot character is just a robot, nothing really interesting at all. As unique as U6's plot is, its really just been in the background that you can easily forget if you let go of it. Until Hit gets his fight, unless he really changes the tone of the arc - thus far nothing in Super really feels like a continuation but Filler. GT at least felt like a continuation from Episode 1.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:39 pm

Super wins for me purely on the merit that I could never care enough about GT to enjoy it. It was just so boring and uninteresting to me. Won't hate on the animation, music, or voice work...I just couldn't give a damn about the plot or where it was going.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:50 pm

Super is better because GT had Pan who was one of the worst anime characters of all time who did nothing but constantly whine.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:28 pm

I've certainly enjoyed Super at this stage far] more than I was with GT. But the production issues with the Super bring its overall quality down several notches. I've said this before and I'll say it again, if Super had the production and scheduling that GT had, the show would be wwwaaaaayyyy better than it is right now. But Toei wanted to rush the series out of the gate to fill in Kai's timeslot and we got what we got.

C'est la vie.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:35 pm

Sorry, dont know what i was thinking about that Super half point of GT at 37 :oops:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:11 pm

Vijay wrote:Its an insult to compare GT to the likes of Super

GT had good ideas. Only executed poorly. Still, the Baby, parts of Super 17 & Shadow Dragons Arc were solid entertainments

Super however is parody of Z. It has tacky ideas, executed worst with the series gladly embracing its stupidity at every turn. Not even gonna touch its piss poor animation, music, plot, character-degradations & horrible action choreography.

Super may even cross 640 episodes, but it still doesnt hold a candle to one of the most hated series in the history of DB franchise, GT.
And were done here.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:55 am

All I'm gonna say for now is...

GT kept track of its characters' ages and portrayed them accurately.
GT came up with an adequate plot device for giving Vegeta the token fancy new form.
GT had the courtesy to set itself well after the original story so that it's shortcomings didn't retroactively affect what came before it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!