Thoughts on Cell arc

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ree
Regular

Re: Thoughts on Cell arc

Post by Ree » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:40 pm

The Cell arc is my least favorite , it was too far up its own ass compared to the other sagas..
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:48 pm

What does that even mean? It's fine to be critical, but please be constructive.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:52 pm

i liked the arc but the whole build up to these doomsday androids only to have it end in such an anticlimactic fashion was a let down. the cell games themselves too

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm saying it was too overly serious and was lacking much light-heartedness or humor.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:56 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:i liked the arc but the whole build up to these doomsday androids only to have it end in such an anticlimactic fashion was a let down. the cell games themselves too
There wasn't a huge build up. What did you find anticlimactic about The Cell Games?
I'm saying it was too overly serious and was lacking much light-heartedness or humor.
Serious in this case just meant there were stakes and even at its most serious, there's plenty of humor. Case in point, Mr. Satan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:58 pm

They did attempt it sometimes but their attempts just weren't funny.
The whole arc was the antithesis to the Emp. Pilaf saga.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Ree wrote:They did attempt it sometimes but their attempts just weren't funny.
The whole arc was the antithesis to the Emp. Pilaf saga.
Whether you found it funny or not, it had humor. Yes, it was more serious, but it was hardly the antithesis of the first arc. The Freeza arc is much more serious and so what if it is? It's much better that Toriyama not undercut the life and death stakes with constant jokes. That sort of humor works when the entire story is played pretty much for humor.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:06 pm

Another myth.
The amount of humor is equal to that of the Namek arc, where there were only the ginyu force's ballets
Last edited by Gorou on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Gorou wrote:Another myth.
The amount of humor is equal to that of the Namek arc, where there were only the ballets of the ginyu force.
The amount of humor of what is equal to the Namek arc?

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Frieza's arc also had humor and was more inspired. Cell's was a drag almost from beginning to end

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:16 pm

ABED wrote: The amount of humor of what is equal to the Namek arc?
Cell's arc.
Namek 's arc was equally serious, and the humor was limited to silly poses of the ginyu force.
Frieza's arc also had humor and was more inspired. Cell's was a drag almost from beginning to end
Frieza's arc had the same amount of humor, and battle with Frieza was equally dragged
Last edited by Gorou on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Gorou wrote:
ABED wrote: The amount of humor of what is equal to the Namek arc?
Cell arc.
Namer arc was equally serious, and the humor was limited to silly poses of the ginyu force.
Only if you count the manga.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:20 pm

ABED wrote: Only if you count the manga.
For me the only thing that counts is the manga. In the anime they added many other humorous scenes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Gorou wrote:
ABED wrote: Only if you count the manga.
For me the only thing that counts is the manga. In the anime they added many other humorous scenes.
I've read the manga and seen the anime. The anime is my primary was of watching the series. I don't see what it doesn't count because it was added.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:24 pm

I wouldn't even say that's true. Since I've been re-reading the early Freeza arc in preparation for Dragon Ball Dissection, I've noticed the beginning has LOTS of humor. I never get tired of the faces of horror they make when Blooma blows up Nappa's spaceship. And then there's the little bit mixed in of Goku not even being able to see. There's a fun freakout when Blooma sees Popo for the first time. Yajirobe threatens to deck Chichi for being so self-centered. I love the gags of Blooma being pissed off over everyone else treating space travel like a road trip, be it Chichi asking Gohan to write her every day, Gohan and Kuririn's attire, and them just leaving the ship before Blooma has checked the atmosphere. Those first several chapters are flippin' hilarious!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:31 pm

That is not much different from Vegeta forced to dress as a earthly, or the reactions of Goku when he learns that Trunks is son of Vegeta and Bulma. In short, this supposed lack of humor is another exaggeration.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:36 pm

Gorou wrote:That is not much different from Vegeta forced to dress as a earthly, or the reactions of Goku when he learns that Trunks is son of Vegeta and Bulma. In short, this supposed lack of humor is another exaggeration.
But you're the guy that said that Dragon Ball was never a comedy/ gag manga. What was that, man, you were having a bad day or something? :D

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Gorou wrote:That is not much different from Vegeta forced to dress as a earthly, or the reactions of Goku when he learns that Trunks is son of Vegeta and Bulma. In short, this supposed lack of humor is another exaggeration.
That depends on one's point of view. Seeing as how humor is more prevalent in much of the series, when there's much less of it, in comparison, it can seem like there's very little. I for one have no problem if there's little humor in a given arc. Not every arc should be the same. Even the Buu arc's biggest problem wasn't the amount as much as when it was employed.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:41 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote: But you're the guy that said that Dragon Ball was never a comedy/ gag manga. What was that, man, you were having a bad day or something? :D
No, I said that DB ,essentially, is a manga based on the fighting with a strong comic component. An example of true comedy is Dr. Slump & Arale.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:52 pm

The reason why there is humor in the Freeza Arc, is because it starts out without the villain getting revealed, as soon as the arc starts. We all think they are just going to go a planet full of helpful Namekians and so the humor is not out of place or anything as it's just a fun little trip.
Then all of a sudden we find out Vegeta and his boss are also heading there and the way Krillin goes from trying to reassure himself, that nothing bad is going to happen today, until he has to come to the realization they are screwed, sets the tone for the rest of the arc and works pretty well in telling us "fun time's over, pals."
After that the humor is sparse with Bulma's complaints being prominent before the Ginyus arrive, but even that is horrifying, as they are trying to kill our heroes and demonstrate the brutality one would expect from Freeza's special forces.

In the Cell Arc we are immediately told of the threat and so there was no place for lots of humor. Again it becomes sparse with some just before the timeskip and then few lighthearted moments between battles. Then of course Mr. Satan.