Favorite Inaccurate Dub.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Favorite Inaccurate Dub.

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Does DBZ Abridged count? It isn't trying to be accurate, and at some points makes changes no version of DBZ made before (making Mr. Popo creepy for one), but it's really good, especially the newer stuff. Also, it occasionally references stuff from the older dubs, and at times is even more accurate than them. One example of all of this is how they handle Goku's SSJ speech. It's mostly based off the Funi speech, but sounds more mangled (I am the hope of the Omniverse! The lightbulb in the darkness!). However, it manages to have both better voice acting and is slightly more accurate at the same time compared to the Funi version. (I am Son Goku and I am a Super-- ... Saiyan.)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:34 am

Consistently I pick Early FUNi (including Ocean and S3) for 90's So Bad It's Good comedy, FUNi Redub for an alternate take on the show, and Big Green for max lulz.

Still, it is interesting to note that the very notion of an inaccurate dub has become so past tense we can now enjoy this older stuff for comedic purposes as opposed to having them be all we got. I mean, the video games are more likely to have "I am Son Goku, the Super Saiyan!" rather than "I am the hope of the universe!" these days.

Still, as much as Kai is good for casual viewing, I'll always watch the series in Japanese when I want to watch it seriously.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:09 am

Think I will have to say the french DBZ dub. It's got a lot of great voice actors, but sadly, some episodes are very dumbed down dialogue wise, plus there's some censoring.

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:26 am

Speedy is technically not inaccurate in terms of script -- some of the lines match the intent of the Japanese dialogue (as translated by Steve Simmons) perfectly! Obviously the phrasing and delivery is hilarious and unintentional, but it doesn't necessarily seem to misrepresent the story.

Thus I defer to Big Green. So much wrong shit. Terrible name changes, Vegeta yelling "Kamehameha" when all he's doing is powering up, Tullece's "idiot brother", the "Ball of Fire" (DON'T LOOK AT THE fire-BALL!), Goku talking about himself in the third person (You see, they're alike physically. But when it comes to right and wrong, they're opposites.)...it's all one big hilarious gaffe. Those examples are probably not even the best.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:50 am

doomydoomydoom wrote:...Goku talking about himself in the third person (You see, they're alike physically. But when it comes to right and wrong, they're opposites.)...
I'm ashamed to admit that it took me several years to figure out what the heck was going on with that bit of dialogue. That clip has been featured in many "Best of the Big Green dub" compilation videos on YouTube, but only after a few years of hearing it was I eventually like, "....Wait....did he just...?" :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:22 am

Big Green for sure. The Speedy dub is probably more funny if you measure it in pure "what the f..kness" but the punchline is pretty much "haha they can't speak English." The AB Group dub on the other hand is so bizarre that it's truly an experience. The strung together dialogue, the odd name changes, the weird casting, improper English and odd delvery despite sounding like native speakers etc all meld together to make something that all most made me suffocate from laughter when I first watched it 6-7 years ago.

VSVoidSpartan

Post by VSVoidSpartan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:03 pm

The Polish Dub for oh-so-many reasons.

This "dub" is inaccurate with voice acting in its own language because THERE IS NONE!

Instead, they aired the show in another language that they used to translate the script (the French version for Z) while one guy reads, and just reads, the script to match the timing of the show. No voice acting, no emotions, nothing! This is especially frustrating because the guy also reads the script for the female characters (I admittedly laughed hard at this :lol:). The worst part is that they continued this method for Kai as well (they used the Japanese version of Kai). You would think that they have learned from their mistakes.

However, I have noticed the Polish dub of the movies having actual voice acting, which does not make sense as to why they didn't get the cast from the movies to dub the main show.

As for both the Original series and GT, I don't know if they "dubbed" them using the same method, so please update me on that if anyone can. *EDIT: Yes, they seem to have done this to both of them as well. The Original series uses the French version, and GT also uses the French Version, but it used the Japanese version for episode 63. (Thanks Danfun64!)

All in all, as frustrating as the "dub" is, it did make me laugh! (EDIT 2: I think I know the reason for the studio's methods, but for knowledgeable purposes, I would like anyone who knows more about this version than I do to interpret a more accurate reason.)
Last edited by VSVoidSpartan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"WHOOOOPIE! A SUSHINCHU!"
- RPN Goten

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:06 pm

VSVoidSpartan wrote:The Polish Dub for oh-so-many reasons.

This "dub" is inaccurate with voice acting in its own language because THERE IS NONE!

Instead, they aired the show in another language that they used to translate the script (the French version for Z) while one guy reads, and just reads, the script to match the timing of the show. No voice acting, no emotions, nothing! This is especially frustrating because the guy also reads the script for the female characters (I admittedly laughed hard at this :lol:). The worst part is that they continued this method for Kai as well (they used the Japanese version of Kai). You would think that they have learned from their mistakes.

However, I have noticed the Polish dub of the movies having actual voice acting, which does not make sense as to why they didn't get the cast from the movies to dub the main show.

As for both the Original series and GT, I don't know if they "dubbed" them using the same method, so please update me on that if anyone can.

All in all, as frustrating as the "dub" is, it did make me laugh!
I must see this.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Odd. A video for DBGT ep 1 in polish has the french audio, but a video for DBGT ep 63 in polish has the japanese audio.

I'm sorry if posting these links breaks the rules.

edit: Links removed
Last edited by Danfun64 on Mon May 30, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

VSVoidSpartan

Post by VSVoidSpartan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Other than the Polish dub, I would have to say the AB Groupe English Dub (Big Green) of the movies takes the cake for all the reasons stated in this thread. The first time I saw the dub, I couldn't help but laugh! Especially with how Vegeta screams out "Kamehameha" when going SSJ1... might as well make every attack and every transformation named "Kamehameha" in this case! :lol:

As for the Speedy Video Malaysian English dub, I have mixed opinions about it. The dub is hilariously bad that even I laughed at it... but the moment they changed the names of some characters (Videl -> Kami, Goten -> Goku), and even changed the pronunciation of some names frustrated me. Example: One moment Goku pronounces Vegeta normally, next movie he pronounces the name as "Vehita." (Maybe it is because of mixed scripts from mixed licenses from various dubs?) The only thing I could praise them for is the use of crystal clear audio quality for both the BGM and the SFX, which was obvious enough. I personally owned a VCD copy of the 4th movie in this dub as a child, so I sort of had a history with this dub.
"WHOOOOPIE! A SUSHINCHU!"
- RPN Goten

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Regarding the Polish dub and how it's done, the technique is actually common in Poland. Not that I like it, but I suppose it's a matter of getting accustomed to it.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:09 pm

Funimation dub is my favourite.
Ocean is my second favourite.

The Ocean dub was my first exposure to DBZ in the very early 90's as that's who broad casted it first in Canada.
It was later replaced by the funimation dub, which covered all of DBZ, which became my favourite.

There was barely internet back in the those days let alone any exposure to a Japanese version.

So for that reason that's what I consider the real DBZ despite not being similar to the source material.
For me it's the original version, even though it's technically not, in the grand scheme of Z.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:33 pm

I genuinely like both the Ocean and Big Green dubs.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:30 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:This was just too damn much
He's actually saying "like human beings dislike the sound..." Due to the accent it does somewhat sound like "black," but I can't tell if the person who made that "misunderstood" it on purpose for comedic value (as I find a lot of people talking about the Speedy dub do).

As for the question, probably the original broadcast Funimation Z dub (including the so called "Ocean dub"), purely for nostalgia. Second would be a tie between Big Green and Speedy for lol value, although Big Green probably edges it out by a bit.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:04 am

Obviously the Anime Labs subs, you candy ass faggot. Fuck you!
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:22 am

Any of the Ocean group dubs (Saban, Westwood, Blue Water) because they are the ones I grew up on.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: