Why are the Portuguese Z fans stuck in the past?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why are the Portuguese Z fans stuck in the past?

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:34 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:Stuck in the past? I consider myself being at the edge of the present.

But seriously, is it really surprising that a fan work made to appease the nostalgia of others uses the terms from the version they saw and fell in love with? It's not being stuck in the past, it's accuracy not being a priority. One could explain them the fact (something they may not even be aware of) that the portuguese dub terms are very innacurate, but beyond that there's not much to discuss.
If anyone's "stuck in the past" it would be the right holders in Portugal who hasn't dubbed DBZ Kai.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:11 am

Why should waste time and money to do that? I could understand dubbing Super, but Kai?

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:35 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:Why should waste time and money to do that? I could understand dubbing Super, but Kai?
Same reason the North Americans did it - to have a veesion with no filler and get another shot at getting a dub that's actually good. If you think about it, the North Americans and the Portugese have more reason to release Kai than the Japanese did.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:50 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:Why should waste time and money to do that? I could understand dubbing Super, but Kai?
I sure am happy the French dubbed dbz kai.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:33 pm

z_cherub wrote:Same reason the North Americans did it - to have a veesion with no filler and get another shot at getting a dub that's actually good.
Not comparable. There's is no audience, interest or demand for that in Portugal to justify the investment. A brand new series on the other hand, is much more easy to.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
z_cherub wrote:Same reason the North Americans did it - to have a veesion with no filler and get another shot at getting a dub that's actually good.
Not comparable. There's is no audience, interest or demand for that in Portugal to justify the investment. A brand new series on the other hand, is much more easy to.
I don't know that everyone in NA was clamoring for a filler-less version with a better dub either, but it's done reasonably well in that market.

Good to know that you officially speak for the entire Portugese speaking fandom, though...

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:49 pm

z_cherub wrote:Good to know that you officially speak for the entire Portugese speaking fandom, though...
Where did I claim to "speak for the entire Portuguese speaking fandom"? The "entire Portuguese speaking fandom" that cares about franchise and wants more of it is a very low number of people in the grand scheme of things. Ever heard of supply and demand?

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
z_cherub wrote:Good to know that you officially speak for the entire Portugese speaking fandom, though...
Where did I claim to "speak for the entire Portuguese speaking fandom"?

Somewhere around here:
Luso Saiyan wrote:Not comparable. There's is no audience, interest or demand for that in Portugal
Also...
Luso Saiyan wrote:The "entire Portuguese speaking fandom" that cares about franchise and wants more of it is a very low number of people in the grand scheme of things. Ever heard of supply and demand?
It's not like the NA fanbase represent 10% of the total population either. By your logic, why bother with Super, then?

This is a fruitless conversation as you're only willing to make broad, sweeping assertions about an entire segment of the fan base without any actual data.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:05 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Where did I claim to "speak for the entire Portuguese speaking fandom"? The "entire Portuguese speaking fandom" that cares about franchise and wants more of it is a very low number of people in the grand scheme of things. Ever heard of supply and demand?
While there are a lot of older NA fans that like the Kai dub I believe there was also a lot of younger fans that first saw DB via Kai. Pretty sure the actual broadcast version of Kai was aimed at them too, since it was a edited version shown on a Network aimed at kids. The unedited home releases were aimed at the older fans, and I think toonami aired those later as well. Sure they could just air their old dub but networks could just air old versions of anything and that doesn't stop them from making new kids shows and reboots like the multiple versions of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I get that Kai isn't a entirely new show but if its different enough for NA and Japan I think it could be for any where. I don't really think DB was super big at the time it came out any ways, probably one of the reasons it did.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:13 pm

z_cherub wrote:Somewhere around here:
That's not speaking for the fandom. It's a statement about the fandom.
z_cherub wrote:It's not like the NA fanbase represent 10% of the total population either.
No, but 10% there is 300% here.
z_cherub wrote:By your logic, why bother with Super, then?
Because it's new content to everyone. Fan or not.
z_cherub wrote:This is a fruitless conversation as you're only willing to make broad, sweeping assertions about an entire segment of the fan base without any actual data.
What?! It's not a matter of debate or opinion that those of us that care about the series are not in enough number to justify an investment of the network and rights holders to dub the entire series of Kai. If we were, it would have been dubbed already. But we aren't. Those who grew up with the series barely watch TV to begin with. The airing schedule is not compatible with work. And to make it even less appealing: it's repeated (trimmed) content.

Once again: supply and demand.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:07 am

We got subbed Kai so that's good enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Many of the original dub voice actors, which is something the dubbed fanbase wants, wouldn't return so there's that as well.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:15 am

z_cherub wrote:
It's not like the NA fanbase represent 10% of the total population either. By your logic, why bother with Super, then?
New york city has 8.5 million people.

Portugal has 10.5 million people.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:49 am

rereboy wrote:
z_cherub wrote:

No Brazilians enjoy the show?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:03 am

z_cherub wrote:
rereboy wrote:
z_cherub wrote:

No Brazilians enjoy the show?
The portuguese and brazilian dubs are completely different dubs. Even though we share technically the same language and we can understand each other (most of the time anyway), there are more than enough differences to be a completely different experience when we hear brazilian portuguese and portuguese. Therefore, they end up being different markets.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:11 am

Well, since Dragon Ball Super is probably going to be aired on Sic K, I guess that it won't go without the original terms, and a new voice cast. It will scout interest for the new actors and translations, so that DB Kai can be met with a faithful dub, and assume itself as the definitive version. It won't stop Sic Radical from airing the old dub, like Japanese TV still airs Dragon Ball Z, but it's only speculation.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:15 pm

i have never seen Portugese Z but I gotta say Satã sounds cool!
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:22 am

I hope Super comes to Portugal and its just as big as before.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: