Why are the Portuguese Z fans stuck in the past?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why are the Portuguese Z fans stuck in the past?

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:50 pm

I was just watching a Portuguese fan-dub of "The Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans" on YouTube and it regrettably made me realise that even after 25 years on the fans of the Portuguese version still use those awful inaccurate dubterms and audio-effects than the original names and such.

Names & terms:
Son/Goku = "Songoku"
Son Gohan / Gohan = "Songohan"
Piccolo = "Satã" or "Coraçãozinho de Satã"
Mr. Satan = "Hércules"
Muten Roshi-sama = "Tartaruga Genial"
Kaio-sama = "Kaibe"
Super Saiyan = "Super Guereirros"

Can't even remember what they named Kami/God as.

Audio effects:
Piccolo - A weird effect that makes his voice sound twisted and off.. I just can't put it to words.
Freeza - It's not so much as an audio-effect as it was back then but they still gave him a gay voice even though he's a straight male character

On said fan-dub they used the DBZ PT opening from the TV series so it was quite monotonous to hear it again after all these years but thankfully there's a fast-forward button which comes in quite handy. I don't know how they'd use that instead of CHA-LA-HEAD-CHA-LA or produce a Portuguese fan-dubbed version of CLHCL.

My point is, why don't they just get with the times and use the appropriate names, terms and leave the likeness of the voices they heard back in the days to make their fan-dubs more precise with the content?

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Why are the Portuguese Z fans stuck in the past?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Because not everyone is an hardcore fan?

That's like asking why the casual American fanbase doesn't use "Makankosappo" or "Kienzan" instead of "Special Beam Cannon" and "Destructo Disk". Because they grew up with those names and they couldn't care less about what the 'correct' terminology is.

This thread reeks of ignorance.

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Doctor. wrote:Because not everyone is an hardcore fan?

That's like asking why the casual American fanbase doesn't use "Makankosappo" or "Kienzan" instead of "Special Beam Cannon" and "Destructo Disk". Because they grew up with those names and they couldn't care less about what the 'correct' terminology is.

This thread reeks of ignorance.
Fair enough point but it wasn't needed to be rude. The Dragon Ball Portuguese dubs were and will always be terrible, though. Except for GT and DB Movie 4.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:57 pm

One thing is calling a dub terrible, which I don't disagree with, the other thing is trying to dictate what fans should and shouldn't do.

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:59 pm

I can't dictate anything as I just posted a topic, duh.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:06 pm

The best thing to do is just let people enjoy what they want. It's the same with the Funimation dub fans. I'm sure a lot of the them know that a lot of what they enjoy isn't the same as the original but they simply don't care. They enjoy the franchise in a way that speaks to them and we need to respect that as other fans of the franchise. Also, it doesn't always have to do with nostalgia. People can like things because they want to like them. They don't have to grow up with it.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:39 pm

One small group making fan-dubs to please their satisfaction and nostalgia != the entire Portuguese fanbase, I watched their BoG fan-dub a while back and it was a solid effort to make it feel like it came straight out of Novaga (despite well, the problems that come with these kinds of things, i.e: different audio quality per person; some miscats and poor audio mixing). That said, you're also looking at the wrong group (not really, they're still fans who care about the franchise), there's been fan-subs for stuff that never came to Portugal with the Japanese terms and while I stopped following it, the group that has been subbing Super has also sticked with the Japanese termonoligy.

Besides, it's not like it makes a difference in the grand scheme of things and it's not like Portugal has been making an effort to correct its mistakes, the old dub still airs on TV, Kai had a very short lived subtitled run (with Japanese terms mind you) and Netflix has BoG subbed with Portuguese dub-isms, even when they were finally getting somewhere by publishing a new version of the Tankonbon, they stopped after volume 18 (and that still had things like Kika IIRC). My only hope is that IF Super ever comes to Portugal, it gets the Sailor Moon Crystal treatment and Toei makes them use the original terms.
Iberian_Saiyan wrote:The Dragon Ball Portuguese dubs were and will always be terrible, though.
Doctor. wrote:One thing is calling a dub terrible, which I don't disagree with.
Goes Super Warrior, fires an Infinite Light while screaming Cachalote
YOU TAKE THAT BACK.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:16 pm

Bansho64 wrote:The best thing to do is just let people enjoy what they want. It's the same with the Funimation dub fans. I'm sure a lot of the them know that a lot of what they enjoy isn't the same as the original but they simply don't care. They enjoy the franchise in a way that speaks to them and we need to respect that as other fans of the franchise. Also, it doesn't always have to do with nostalgia. People can like things because they want to like them. They don't have to grow up with it.
You got that right. It's just the way they are but Doctor was very disrespectful with his comment, though I digress. He's not worth my time.
Quebaz wrote:One small group making fan-dubs to please their satisfaction and nostalgia != the entire Portuguese fanbase, I watched their BoG fan-dub a while back and it was a solid effort to make it feel like it came straight out of Novaga (despite well, the problems that come with these kinds of things, i.e: different audio quality per person; some miscats and poor audio mixing). That said, you're also looking at the wrong group (not really, they're still fans who care about the franchise), there's been fan-subs for stuff that never came to Portugal with the Japanese terms and while I stopped following it, the group that has been subbing Super has also sticked with the Japanese termonoligy.

Besides, it's not like it makes a difference in the grand scheme of things and it's not like Portugal has been making an effort to correct its mistakes, the old dub still airs on TV, Kai had a very short lived subtitled run (with Japanese terms mind you) and Netflix has BoG subbed with Portuguese dub-isms, even when they were finally getting somewhere by publishing a new version of the Tankonbon, they stopped after volume 18 (and that still had things like Kika IIRC). My only hope is that IF Super ever comes to Portugal, it gets the Sailor Moon Crystal treatment and Toei makes them use the original terms.
Iberian_Saiyan wrote:The Dragon Ball Portuguese dubs were and will always be terrible, though.
Doctor. wrote:One thing is calling a dub terrible, which I don't disagree with.
Goes Super Warrior, fires an Infinite Light while screaming Cachalote
YOU TAKE THAT BACK.
Great point!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:29 pm

Iberian_Saiyan, the post you reported was not "rude". You are - rightfully so - receiving criticism. False reports can and will be lodged back against your account should this continue.

Furthermore, some of the OTHER posts here ARE getting a bit ridiculous. The conversation should be just that: a conversation. 4chan-style nonsense is not appropriate here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:34 pm

VegettoEX, the user "Doctor" call me ignorant and I wasn't, all that I did was brought up an enquiry about the Portuguese Z fans and that backfired on me so you're threatening me? Whatever. You can ban me for all I care. I don't appreciate this hostility.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Iberian_Saiyan, the post you reported was not "rude". You are - rightfully so - receiving criticism. False reports can and will be lodged back against your account should this continue.

Furthermore, some of the OTHER posts here ARE getting a bit ridiculous. The conversation should be just that: a conversation. 4chan-style nonsense is not appropriate here.
No problem man.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:43 pm

Iberian_Saiyan wrote:My point is, why don't they just get with the times and use the appropriate names, terms and leave the likeness of the voices they heard back in the days to make their fan-dubs more precise with the content?
Probably because for them and their target audience especially, the Portuguese dub is "the show" for them. The way that dub handled the series years ago is the Dragon Ball Z they fell in love with, and they have no reason to find something more "correct". Sure, the show's originally from Japan, but why would the watch the show in a language they don't know (and have to read subtitles to understand) when there's one available that they can watch with ease? So, if they're going to make a fandub for Portuguese fans, they are going to base their performance and handling of characters based on "the show".
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Iberian_Saiyan wrote:VegettoEX, the user "Doctor" call me ignorant and I wasn't, all that I did was brought up an enquiry about the Portuguese Z fans and that backfired on me so you're threatening me? Whatever. You can ban me for all I care. I don't appreciate this hostility.
You weren't called ignorant (and even if you were, so what?). The exact line is: "This thread reeks of ignorance." And it does. It's unfortunate that you not only didn't see that from the start, but still don't see it, and instead choose to double-down on it and play the "just ban me" card.

No. No-one's banning you because you're saying something ridiculous that actually prompts a larger discussion. That doesn't happen. This is just an attempt to play the victim, and we're not going to stand for that.

You're receiving pushback on your views and criticism based on the logical faults of your argument. That's not "hostility". If you're not willing to deal with that, you shouldn't be engaging in any kind of deeper conversation anywhere about anything.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:16 am

metamoss wrote:Probably because for them and their target audience especially, the Portuguese dub is "the show" for them. The way that dub handled the series years ago is the Dragon Ball Z they fell in love with, and they have no reason to find something more "correct". Sure, the show's originally from Japan, but why would the watch the show in a language they don't know (and have to read subtitles to understand) when there's one available that they can watch with ease? So, if they're going to make a fandub for Portuguese fans, they are going to base their performance and handling of characters based on "the show".
Just wanted to point out that reading subtitles is no issue because we're used to them in general.

This said, the rest of your point still stands because the majority of the population just doesn't care to know better. Cartoons are kiddie stuff and many adults have a soft spot for Dragon Ball since it was huge back then but that's it. Even Portuguese anime fans tend to largely prefer the Portuguese dub because it's "funnier" and because of Nozawa's voice (also, regarding Dragon Ball as a "lesser anime"). I guess Funimation and "dub fans" are a good comparison.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:13 am

Iberian_Saiyan wrote: You got that right. It's just the way they are but Doctor was very disrespectful with his comment, though I digress.
You started the topic by asking why are the PT fans "stuck in the past"...

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:37 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Iberian_Saiyan wrote:VegettoEX, the user "Doctor" call me ignorant and I wasn't, all that I did was brought up an enquiry about the Portuguese Z fans and that backfired on me so you're threatening me? Whatever. You can ban me for all I care. I don't appreciate this hostility.
You weren't called ignorant (and even if you were, so what?). The exact line is: "This thread reeks of ignorance." And it does. It's unfortunate that you not only didn't see that from the start, but still don't see it, and instead choose to double-down on it and play the "just ban me" card.

No. No-one's banning you because you're saying something ridiculous that actually prompts a larger discussion. That doesn't happen. This is just an attempt to play the victim, and we're not going to stand for that.

You're receiving pushback on your views and criticism based on the logical faults of your argument. That's not "hostility". If you're not willing to deal with that, you shouldn't be engaging in any kind of deeper conversation anywhere about anything.
To be fair Mike, you do come off as a bit hostile sometimes.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:46 am

While that's fair, it's not particularly relevant to this conversation where I wasn't even involved yet (so I'm not sure why you'd even mention that here), and moderation will inherently be perceived as more "hostile" than general conversation.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:27 am

VegettoEX wrote:While that's fair, it's not particularly relevant to this conversation where I wasn't even involved yet (so I'm not sure why you'd even mention that here), and moderation will inherently be perceived as more "hostile" than general conversation.
I don't think that's what he was getting at.

Saying that his post "reeks of ignorance" is objectively a bit hostile/rude, and at the very least shows little no tact. Not that I personally have a problem with it (or have a leg to stand on if I did), just calling it what it is.

That said, it's hardly report-worthy & Iberian Saiyan would do well to grow a thicker skin if they're going to frequent any forum. To their credit, they didn't become at all hostile in return - they just complained a bit too much.

As a bystander here, when moderators publicly take sides with someone being (at best) tasteless and regurgitate the thought that a members topic is ignorant, then discuss/threaten disciplinary action publicly rather than via PM, it makes me feel like we're not far removed from this forum becoming a reddit-style echo chamber. Have an unpopular opinion? Don't phrase it the way the masses want to hear it? You won't be "down voted", but you'll be met with mild hostility that's both condoned and repeated by mods.

Maybe just let Doctor be a little hostile/offensive if he wants, let IS bellyache about that if he wants, then warn him about false reporting, etc. privately if needed?

It's your show, and you've got a great thing going here. Just the musings of a third party observing the exchange here should you be interested...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:36 am

All worth considering. I guess the only thing I'd repeat/ask (and simultaneously understand if no-one wants to buy into it or accept it), but again: moderation is, in general, going to appear more blunt and hostile if and when it's deemed necessary. That being said, not every bit of moderation comes across that way and needs to be done that way and ISN'T done that way. I would hope everyone actually sees that and doesn't just cherry-pick incidents to paint with a broad stroke. I deemed it necessary due to, honestly, the whining. I'm not going to babysit a whiner, neither is any other member of the team, and it's worth putting that sentiment out in public. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm typing this since moderation doesn't need/require an explanation (and actually I think it sets a bad precedent in some ways...), but thanks for all the contributions, nonetheless!

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:31 am

Stuck in the past? I consider myself being at the edge of the present.

But seriously, is it really surprising that a fan work made to appease the nostalgia of others uses the terms from the version they saw and fell in love with? It's not being stuck in the past, it's accuracy not being a priority. One could explain them the fact (something they may not even be aware of) that the portuguese dub terms are very innacurate, but beyond that there's not much to discuss.