How would you make a Hollywood adaption ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How would you make a Hollywood adaption ?

Post by TonyTheTiger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:28 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Michael Fasbender would be a good pick for Cell in my opinion.
Agreed. And call me crazy but I think Jonah Hill would be an excellent Krillin. I can also see Michael Jai White as Piccolo.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:26 am

I don't think the series would translate well to live action form unless a lot of changes were made. It would work wonderfully as a CG animation though.

As for what stories to adapt. I'm thinking 3 films:
First one will be about Goku when he was a kid, making all of his friends, witnessing the death of Grandpa Gohan, learning with Master Roshi, competing with Krillin and making Piccolo the villain... So basically Dragon Ball Evolution done right. :lol: The films themes would be about Goku accepting the passing of Grandpa Gohan, making it a lesson about moving along.
Second film would be about the Saiyan arc. Goku discovering his origins, dying, coming back and fighting off the Saiyans while accepting his heritage and being proud of the person that he has become. Pretty simple. Introduce Gohan as well and his relationship with Piccolo which changes Piccolo as a character.
Third and final film would be about the Freeza arc. It would be pretty accurate to the original story except characters and plot points would have to be cut out so the movie wont drag on. Stuff like Zarbon, Dodoria, Qui, Goku in the healing chamber, Ginyu's whole body swap thingamajig would be cut out. Also, I would make planet Namek look different because my god does it look boring. I'd still stick to the whole blue and green colour scheme but I would include waaay more interesting looking locations. Make it have some small Namekian towns, huge mountains around some areas, waterfalls, some birds flying around and some animals running/swimming around and you've got yourself a planet that won't get boring after a while... or at least I hope not.

Now, casting choices... I have a few ideas:
Chris Pratt as Goku (Just watch The Lego Movie and you'll see why)
Oscar Isaac as Vegeta (listen to his voice in the X-Men Apocalypse trailer)
Idris Elba as Piccolo (His voice just sounds badass so why the fuck not?)
Benedict Cumberbatch as Freeza (I reeeaaally think Cumberbatch would nail the role of Freeza. I can't explain why but I think he'd be perfect)
That's all that I can really say as to actors who I think would nail the roles.

As for directors... I really don't know. All I can say is that Zack Snyder would not work at all. All the films he has directed consist of nothing but mindless eye candy with no substance, saturated colours, joyless characters, joyless plot and just fucking joyless everything. They're so god damn miserable most of the time. Batman v Superman made my excitement for the DC Cinematic Universe die out. He's not a good storyteller. There was a time where I used to think he was good but now my mind has changed.
Someone mentioned Guillermo del Toro and I'd be down for that. He'd make a crap ton of changes but I think he's a fantastic storyteller and wouldn't mind seeing how he'd approach this series.
Personally, if I absolutely had to pick, I think Brad Bird would do a really good job. He's a big name in the animation industry and has also made some live-action films. He's responsible for The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, Mission Impossible 4 and Tomorrowland (this was mixed among both audiences and critics but I liked it).

That is really all I got when it comes to a Hollywood adaptation. I wouldn't see a new movie coming to fruition in a while due to the backlash from DragonBall Evolution but hey! Who knows?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:40 am

I'd definitely take a action with CGI for specific characters approach. For example, Goku fighting Super Buu and Super Buu is completely CGI while Goku himself is not until he transforms. I think a Super Saiyan transformation would be hard without CGI but I'd definitely start from the beginning with Goku's childhood being wrapped up all in one 2 hour long movie and I'd do the Freeza/Cell/Buu/BOG/ROF arcs all in separate films. All the attacks and superhuman like abilities would be CGI as well. Pretty much anything that doesn't look human or shouldn't exist should be CGI.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:46 am

As far as writing goes, I'd start at Z only because it's the most well known and would get the most butts in seats hear in the US. I think the best thing to do would be to tell Dragonball's story similar to how Watchmen did it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUDdQS2UxA

Tell the bulk in the first movie's opening credits and then do call backs when necessary. For Example, I'd have flashbacks to the Red Ribbon Army during the Cell movie. That kind of thing.

I'd embrace the silly. The one thing Marvel has over DC cinematically is there willingness to embrace the silly. Dr. Strange is getting a movie, Groot and Rocket Racoon exist in a world with Spiderman and Captain America. Not shying away from that is very important for a Dragonball film to work.

And since it's just a pipe dream, I'd try and get Jackie Chan involved somehow. His movies inspired Toriyama and I think it's only fitting he had a hand working on stunts and choreography. If not him, the Raid guys.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm fine with changes as they are handle well because nothing is going to be a 100% adaption. For a example, I feel like they should ditch the Ginyu Force for possible sequels and just have Zarbon a bigger role instead. The Ginyu Force would not be taken seriously if they show up in live action.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:11 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm fine with changes as they are handle well because nothing is going to be a 100% adaption. For a example, I feel like they should ditch the Ginyu Force for possible sequels and just have Zarbon a bigger role instead. The Ginyu Force would not be taken seriously if they show up in live action.
They're supposed to be silly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:49 pm

Yeah but they won't translate well in live action. Same goes with Fat Buu, since Evil Buu (Grey Buu) would work better in live action when coming out of Buu's shell. Grey Buu looks pretty scary looking while Fat Buu is too cute looking to be taken seriously for a wider audience.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:04 pm

The entire property probably wouldn't, though I wouldn't be too quick to say particular DB characters wouldn't work in live action.
Fat Buu is too cute looking to be taken seriously for a wider audience.
And yet Marvel made a raccoon and a walking talking tree work. One of the things that makes them work is their silliness in contrast to their viciousness.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:52 pm

ABED wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm fine with changes as they are handle well because nothing is going to be a 100% adaption. For a example, I feel like they should ditch the Ginyu Force for possible sequels and just have Zarbon a bigger role instead. The Ginyu Force would not be taken seriously if they show up in live action.
They're silly, but I don't think they would work that well within a Freeza saga film.
A good Hollywood DB franchise could start with a more light-hearted, goofy tone, then gradually become darker, but at the time they reached DBZ the story would have become too serious to feature the Ginyu force IMO.

They worked well in the manga and anime because the story was longer, but such a shift in a 2,5 hour film would be a bit jarring
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:14 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
ABED wrote:
They're silly, but I don't think they would work that well within a Freeza saga film.
A good Hollywood DB franchise could start with a more light-hearted, goofy tone, then gradually become darker, but at the time they reached DBZ the story would have become too serious to feature the Ginyu force IMO.

They worked well in the manga and anime because the story was longer, but such a shift in a 2,5 hour film would be a bit jarring
Which is why I don't think Dragon Ball works well as a film series if you're adapting these stories. 2.5 hours for Dragon Ball? I don't think any of these films should go over 90 minutes.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:21 pm

ABED wrote:Which is why I don't think Dragon Ball works well as a film series if you're adapting these stories. 2.5 hours for Dragon Ball? I don't think any of these films should go over 90 minutes.
To be fair, I had originally written "2.5 hours max", but changed it before posting. I actually agree with you :lol:
Some people favour the idea of dividing the longer sagas into two films, but I don't like the idea of a film being 90% battle.

Still, having a 90-ish minute runtime fits my point even better: having 15-20 minutes of goofy comedy in the middle of an otherwise mostly serious film doesn't seem that good to me.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:25 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
ABED wrote:Which is why I don't think Dragon Ball works well as a film series if you're adapting these stories. 2.5 hours for Dragon Ball? I don't think any of these films should go over 90 minutes.
To be fair, I had originally written "2.5 hours max", but changed it before posting. I actually agree with you :lol:
Some people favour the idea of dividing the longer sagas into two films, but I don't like the idea of a film being 90% battle.

Still, having a 90-ish minute runtime fits my point even better: having 15-20 minutes of goofy comedy in the middle of an otherwise mostly serious film doesn't seem that good to me.
But it's not goofy comedy. Their goofiness belies their vicious nature. That contrast could work well. If I was tasked with adapting the arc, I probably would cut out the Ginyu mini-arc and give some of that material to Zarbon.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:52 pm

You could probably avoid the runtime issue by taking advantage of musical montages. Goku's trip across Snake Way and the training for the Saiyans arrival could be covered in a single power ballad.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:11 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Yeah but they won't translate well in live action. Same goes with Fat Buu, since Evil Buu (Grey Buu) would work better in live action when coming out of Buu's shell. Grey Buu looks pretty scary looking while Fat Buu is too cute looking to be taken seriously for a wider audience.
They said that about a talking racoon and his living tree friend. We live in a time where anything is possible when in the right hands. Most of the west is familiar with Power Rangers and Super Sentai that a Ginyu Force wouldn't go over their head. I do agree that they should get less time devoted with more devoted to Freeza, Zarbon and Dodoria
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:12 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
Cipher wrote:Thread: How are we going whitewash Goku??
Well first off since Goku's an alien it doesn't really matter what race the person who plays him is.
Alright, let's make him black.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Jaetinh wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Cipher wrote:Thread: How are we going whitewash Goku??
Well first off since Goku's an alien it doesn't really matter what race the person who plays him is.
Alright, let's make him black.
He's clearly light skinned and has no black features. He should be Caucasian or Asian, or both.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:32 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:As far as writing goes, I'd start at Z only because it's the most well known and would get the most butts in seats hear in the US. I think the best thing to do would be to tell Dragonball's story similar to how Watchmen did it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUDdQS2UxA

Tell the bulk in the first movie's opening credits and then do call backs when necessary. For Example, I'd have flashbacks to the Red Ribbon Army during the Cell movie. That kind of thing.

I'd embrace the silly. The one thing Marvel has over DC cinematically is there willingness to embrace the silly. Dr. Strange is getting a movie, Groot and Rocket Racoon exist in a world with Spiderman and Captain America. Not shying away from that is very important for a Dragonball film to work.

And since it's just a pipe dream, I'd try and get Jackie Chan involved somehow. His movies inspired Toriyama and I think it's only fitting he had a hand working on stunts and choreography. If not him, the Raid guys.
Above all else, this is why I picked Marvel movies as a template. They' don't shy away from silly fun and embrace comic books' campiness.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Above all else, this is why I picked Marvel movies as a template. They' don't shy away from silly fun and embrace comic books' campiness.
The comedy is fine, though in Phase 2, they've doubled down and that's part of the problem and why phase 2 generally wasn't as good as Phase 1 and why a lot of the Buu arc doesn't work for me. I wouldn't say the thing that Marvel has over DC is willingness to be silly. That's not a virtue (nor a vice). It's one valid way of doing things out of many and not all comics are campy. What I will say that Marvel has over WB is its willingness to take chances. The real reason that Marvel is the best parallel to DB is its tone. Dragon Ball is usually very lighthearted.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:56 pm

Okay, so I've been thinkin' about this topic for a while, and I figure this would be a good place to throw out some ideas and get a bit of feedback.

I've got my mind set on a seven part series with the first three movies covering the "Dragon Ball" portion of the story line and the other four movies covering the "Z" portion.

- The first film would be an amalgamation of the Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc and the Red Ribbon Army arc, much like Dragon Ball: Path to Power was. It'd would mainly serve to set up the world, which would be nearly as strange as it is in the manga (i.e. dinosaurs, futuristic technology, and talking animals all around), and to set up the main characters. The tone would be that of an action adventure with a heavy bend to tongue-in-cheek humor, much like Guardians of the Galaxy, though with less 80's references.

The Ox King part would get a larger focus, with him being a powerful warrior king. Chichi would, likewise get more screen time, with her and Goku having to travel to find Muten Roshi. When they find him, Kuririn would already be his student. Roshi blowing away the fire with the Kamehameha and Goku learning it from him would also be present, as would a scene where Ox King gives Chichi's hand away to Goku, though Goku has no idea of what that means.

Towards the end, Goku would get into a confrontation with Tao Pai Pai and end up nearly dying, but surviving due to his Grandfather's Dragon Ball, like in the series. Instead of getting trained by Karin, Goku would instead get a healing boost that would let him turn the tables on Tao Pai Pai, which would be noted by someone. The movie would end with the Red Ribbon Army toppled and Goku going off to train with Muten Roshi.

- Movie number 2 would be a sort of amalgamation of the three tournament arcs, though mainly focusing on the 22nd Budokai. Goku and Kuririn, fresh from their training, are entered into the 22nd Budokai. However, Muten Roshi's long-time rival Crane Hermit, has also entered his pupils, Tenshinhan and Chaozu. Yamcha's there and so is Chichi, who is seeking out Goku to get married. The movie would follow much of the same beats as the series, with the Crane guys wanting revenge on Goku for killing Taopaipai and Tenshinhan eventually realizing that his master is kind of a scumbag. The movie would end on a cliffhanger, with Kuririn found murdered with a piece of paper with the 魔 on it.

- The third movie would be the Piccolo Daimao arc and the 23rd Budokai arc rolled into one. It starts off with Goku separating from his allies going on a roaring rampage of revenge, only to be mowed down by an elderly Piccolo Daimao. Meanwhile, the other guys are searching for D-Balls, hoping to put Piccolo down, only to have their own fatal run-in with Piccolo, with Roshi dying and piccolo getting his youth back.

Turns out Goku didn't die fighting Daimao. He was saved by Kami, Piccolo's good half and the creator of the Dragon Balls, who used his special abilities to heal him resulting in Goku getting more powerful. While Goku's new powers allow him to match the elderly Kami, he wouldn't match up to the youthful Piccolo. Kami offers to train him, though it could take a while for Goku to be able to match Piccolo's strength. When Goku balks at this, Kami brings out the Choshinsui for Goku to drink. The God Water is a bit different here: The water forces you into a coma, where you dream that you are constantly being forced to confront your greatest weakness. Goku's is his recklessness and temper. If you can overcome your weakness, you wake up with your dormant power is unleashed. If you don't, you never wake up again.

While the other heroes (namely Tenshinhan and maybe Chichi) are scrambling to do something about Piccolo, Goku wakes up and opens a can of whoop-ass against Piccolo, defeating him. Though the ending scene show that Piccolo has survived. Goku and Chichi get married.

- Movies 4-7 are basically condensed versions of the Saiyan, Freeza, Cell, and Majin Boo arcs, with some minor reworkings.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Most of the pre-Z era stuff could probably be pulled of with a somewhat low budget, so a live action TV series could work to build up story, character and hype for a Z movie without having to make 3-4 DB movies or 1 big movie that leaves too much out.