Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:10 am

So I've popped my level blurays in after not watching them for a while and I forgot how awesome they were. They're not perfect but they are hands down the best release made by FUNi (that they made) and I would love to get the whole series in this quality! Seeing as I'd never expect the rock the dragon set, do you think at some point FUNi will try for another level like set? How can we get the word around that there is a demand?

I'd also like to see them try and get 16mm film for Dragon Ball to work with too. I can even live without NEP and english default title cards if we get a proper 4x3 release

User avatar
Wezenheim
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1009
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:38 am

I'd like to think it could be a possibility, but I'm not sure if it would happen anytime immediately soon. The most recent batch of Blu Rays are probably a little too fresh for people. Combine that with the fact that the Season Sets are much, much cheaper than the Level Sets would have been, and you have another case of Funimation shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to Dragon Ball home releases. I'm not too sure how well they would sell if they were introduced again! It would probably still sell okay since its Dragon Ball, but maybe not enough to justify the kind of work that it took to make the Level Sets.

I just hope that one day, we can get a 4:3 Blu Ray release of Z at a reasonable price. It happened for Yu Yu Hakusho, if only it could happen for Dragon Ball!

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:55 am

What is they did somthing along the lines of Warner Archives made to order system? Wasnt Sabbat trying to get somthing with broadcast audio?

User avatar
Wezenheim
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1009
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:00 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:What is they did somthing along the lines of Warner Archives made to order system? Wasnt Sabbat trying to get somthing with broadcast audio?
I do believe Sabat expressed interest in the broadcast audio but to my knowledge that hasn't really gone anywhere for a while. I'm not sure Toei would approve of them using that anyway!

User avatar
TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:52 am

I think Funimation should try again by having a reprint of the Level Sets and see if they sell well. Better Sales = Continuing where they left off or Lower Sales = Doing nothing...
I don't think Funimation has ever given us an accurate answer as to why they didn't want to make anymore outside of what seems like bad sales.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1378
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:12 am

It's harder to do a proper restoration (like the Level sets) than do a mostly automated process and think it's good enough. I can almost guarantee that Funi doesn't want to do a proper restoration if the money isn't there...

Doesn't explain cropping to 16:9 or overdoing the DVR though. (I know some people believe that no DVR is good DVR, while others tolerate it if it's minimal.)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 am

Danfun64 wrote:It's harder to do a proper restoration (like the Level sets) than do a mostly automated process and think it's good enough. I can almost guarantee that Funi doesn't want to do a proper restoration if the money isn't there...

Doesn't explain cropping to 16:9 or overdoing the DVR though. (I know some people believe that no DVR is good DVR, while others tolerate it if it's minimal.)
DNR.

The Level Sets won't return. Best to stick with the Dragon Boxes.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1378
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:45 am

DNR...that's what I meant. Either that or DVNR, which amount to the same thing :P
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5739
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:46 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:What is they did somthing along the lines of Warner Archives made to order system? Wasnt Sabbat trying to get somthing with broadcast audio?
Their argument for ceasing production was that the restoration process was too expensive, so a made-to-order system would actually exacerbate the problem, unless each set were extraordinarily expensive.
I don't think Funimation has ever given us an accurate answer as to why they didn't want to make anymore outside of what seems like bad sales.
I think they may actually have commented on it, but even if they haven't, everything about their releases since has indicated it wasn't super-low sales of Dragon ball Z on Blu-Ray that led to the cancellation, but an extensive restoration process that cost more money than sales justified.

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:03 am

Danfun64 wrote:DNR...that's what I meant. Either that or DVNR, which amount to the same thing :P
Digital Video Reduction is the same as Digital Noise Reduction? I don't think so.

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1329
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:32 am

LordCrumb wrote:Digital Video Reduction is the same as Digital Noise Reduction? I don't think so.
Digital Video Noise Reduction (DVNR) and Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) is the same thing, which is what he said.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:25 am

Cipher wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:What is they did somthing along the lines of Warner Archives made to order system? Wasnt Sabbat trying to get somthing with broadcast audio?
Their argument for ceasing production was that the restoration process was too expensive, so a made-to-order system would actually exacerbate the problem, unless each set were extraordinarily expensive.
I don't think Funimation has ever given us an accurate answer as to why they didn't want to make anymore outside of what seems like bad sales.
I think they may actually have commented on it, but even if they haven't, everything about their releases since has indicated it wasn't super-low sales of Dragon ball Z on Blu-Ray that led to the cancellation, but an extensive restoration process that cost more money than sales justified.
Then just stick with Steve's original transfers? Just clean up some of the really bad tape marks? Heck even if they just released 4x3 season blurays I'd be ok with that. We're also not sure how far they got (At least trunks?)
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image[/quote]

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4362
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:27 pm

I think FUNimation has other things on their list of priorities. They still have to do Super. Or Kai for the Boo arc. Or even the 2008 special or Episode of Burdock.
I don't think it would make any sense for FUNimation to start releasing the level sets while they might be nipping away at Super. It might divide the sales if they start releasing Super eventually.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:55 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I think FUNimation has other things on their list of priorities. They still have to do Super. Or Kai for the Boo arc. Or even the 2008 special or Episode of Burdock.
I don't think it would make any sense for FUNimation to start releasing the level sets while they might be nipping away at Super. It might divide the sales if they start releasing Super eventually.
True :/ It's just frustrating cause these sets really never had a chance.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:27 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I think FUNimation has other things on their list of priorities. They still have to do Super. Or Kai for the Boo arc. Or even the 2008 special or Episode of Burdock.
I don't think it would make any sense for FUNimation to start releasing the level sets while they might be nipping away at Super. It might divide the sales if they start releasing Super eventually.
I disagree, I think Funimation have the perfect opportunity now. They've released a new DB DVD/Blu-Ray every year from 1997 up until last year, so naturally a lot of people are expecting something to come out this year. Kai at this rate won't reach the Buu arc on Toonami until late this year or early next year, and Super will be even further as it has to wait for Kai to finish up.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
ther2view
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:43 pm
Location: Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by ther2view » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Eh... Personally, I want to see Blu Rays for DB and GT before another Z release, not to mention the Boo arc for Kai and Super. After all that though, yeah, I'd appreciate a 4X3 Blu-ray release of Z. Though I'm one of those horrible fools that liked the Season Blu-ray sets (Apart from the 16X9 thing, that made no sense), so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
Dragon Ball fan since 2013, Favorite show since 2015.
Favorite series: original Dragon Ball; Favorite Movie: Battle of Gods; Favorite Game: Advanced Adventure
Favorite character: Kuririn; Favorite Villain: Cell
I've watched everything dubbed, and all of GT, Super, the movies and specials, and half of Original Dragon Ball subbed. I've also read through the whole manga and Dr. Slump. Will watch all of Z subbed once I collect the last three Dragon Boxes.

User avatar
Wezenheim
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1009
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:10 pm

ther2view wrote:Eh... Personally, I want to see Blu Rays for DB and GT before another Z release, not to mention the Boo arc for Kai and Super. After all that though, yeah, I'd appreciate a 4X3 Blu-ray release of Z. Though I'm one of those horrible fools that liked the Season Blu-ray sets (Apart from the 16X9 thing, that made no sense), so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
The Season Blu Rays did have nice audio at least. If I remember correctly, I don't think Funimation has the rights for HD Dragon Ball do they? Something like that. There might not be enough of a demand for HD GT but it might happen. It's probably more likely than 4x3 Dragon Ball Z at this point! At least the GT singles look good and are well priced.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
ther2view wrote:Eh... Personally, I want to see Blu Rays for DB and GT before another Z release, not to mention the Boo arc for Kai and Super. After all that though, yeah, I'd appreciate a 4X3 Blu-ray release of Z. Though I'm one of those horrible fools that liked the Season Blu-ray sets (Apart from the 16X9 thing, that made no sense), so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
The Season Blu Rays did have nice audio at least. If I remember correctly, I don't think Funimation has the rights for HD Dragon Ball do they? Something like that. There might not be enough of a demand for HD GT but it might happen. It's probably more likely than 4x3 Dragon Ball Z at this point! At least the GT singles look good and are well priced.
Funimation doesn't have film masters for DB or GT, only digi-betas, which don't have the native resolution to be put on a HD format.

I actually want those two series on Blu-Ray more than anything but unless TOEI releases them this year to coincide with the 30th and 20th anniversaries of DB and GT respectively it could be years before it ever happens. They might do their own Z Blu-Ray since Kai wasn't a big thing in Japan, maybe Funimation can get the rights to release a US version of that if they don't continue the level sets.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Wezenheim
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1009
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:34 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:
ther2view wrote:Eh... Personally, I want to see Blu Rays for DB and GT before another Z release, not to mention the Boo arc for Kai and Super. After all that though, yeah, I'd appreciate a 4X3 Blu-ray release of Z. Though I'm one of those horrible fools that liked the Season Blu-ray sets (Apart from the 16X9 thing, that made no sense), so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
The Season Blu Rays did have nice audio at least. If I remember correctly, I don't think Funimation has the rights for HD Dragon Ball do they? Something like that. There might not be enough of a demand for HD GT but it might happen. It's probably more likely than 4x3 Dragon Ball Z at this point! At least the GT singles look good and are well priced.
Funimation doesn't have film masters for DB or GT, only digi-betas, which don't have the native resolution to be put on a HD format.

I actually want those two series on Blu-Ray more than anything but unless TOEI releases them this year to coincide with the 30th and 20th anniversaries of DB and GT respectively it could be years before it ever happens. They might do their own Z Blu-Ray since Kai wasn't a big thing in Japan, maybe Funimation can get the rights to release a US version of that if they don't continue the level sets.
Ah okay, I knew it was something along those lines. I didn't know Funimation didn't have the masters for GT either. So the masters are something Funimation would have to actually receive from Toei, or could they request for them?

I'd much prefer to get the first series on Blu Ray as well, but I'm not too sure about the likelihood! Maybe someday! Would there be enough of a demand for a Japanese Blu Ray release of all three of the original series? I'm not certain Toei is interested in that, but it would be awesome to get the rights for our own version of something like that. I actually think that might be the story with Yu Yu Hakusho's Blu Rays.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Can we convince FUNimation to make more Level sets?

Post by Fulicer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:03 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:What is they did somthing along the lines of Warner Archives made to order system? Wasnt Sabbat trying to get somthing with broadcast audio?
I do believe Sabat expressed interest in the broadcast audio but to my knowledge that hasn't really gone anywhere for a while. I'm not sure Toei would approve of them using that anyway!
Is there any reason that TOEI would care in the first place?

Post Reply