Why do so many people prefer DBZ to DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Why do so many people prefer DBZ to DB?

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:33 pm

I don't understand why DBZ is so much more popular. DB had a fun story, actual comedy, characters which I fell in love with within seconds of meeting them, actually consistent animation, and a really unique and beautiful art style.
I don't mean to bash DBZ here, as I'm watching it right now and definitely enjoying it, but DB will always have a bigger place in my heart that DBZ. I wish the humans hadn't been reduced to jokes, the art style hadn't changed so much, and the comedy had stayed.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Why do so many people prefer DBZ to DB?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Because DBZ is much more serious, action-packed, and had twists left-and-right. Simple as that.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:59 pm

In Latin America, Europe and other places that got DB first, its more popular because it had the momentum of Dragon Ball behind it. That's why Dragon Ball is big on the USA, but its HUGE AND MASSIVE on LatAm, Europe and so on.

For the USA, its because its the first DB Series to land on Healthy Soil ie Toonami. If Toonami had gotten DB first it would be way bigger than it is now.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:03 pm

I find it's more often the opposite actually. Fans love OG Dragon Ball's charm and more choreographed fighting style over Z's (or technically mid-to-late Dragon Ball if we're discussing the manga) storytelling-fighting combination.

If the general public does like Z more than DB, it's most likely because that's what they grew up with, and the fights involve more ki techniques which makes them "cooler" by default.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Goku was an adult in Z which gave it more of a serious tone.

95% of the iconic moments and fan favorite characters are from Z.

All the epic battles happened in Z.

Z used it's secondary characters a lot better then DB which is why Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan & Future Trunks are fan favorites compared to DB's secondary characters.

Z took a lot more risks with it's story and had the most plot twists.

Z's production quality not only holds up against modern long running Shonen, it surpasses some of them.

Although Z's story is a continuation to DB's and should be watched as such, it can still be watched on it's own which means fans who don't have a lot of free time can jump in and still enjoy it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:34 pm

There's also the fact that DBZ feels a bit more "mature". It had a lot less slapstick, immature humour and fanservice, and the fights were often incredibly dramatic with high stakes.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:48 pm

I've always found that it's people have either none or very little exposure to DB that "prefer" DBZ. If anything most fans will say that the series peaked around late DB and early DBZ.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 pm

DBZ is more action pack and had a more serious tone to it. Not to mention more people saw DBZ before DB since DB didn't do so well in 1989 and 1995 in the US. While DBZ was always a pretty popular show even before it air on Toonami in 1998. I feel like that I'm one of the very few fans that saw DB before DBZ in the US.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:56 pm

A lot of people prefer the badass, super powerful, more serious tone of DBZ than the more comedic tone (early) DB has.
With that said, not everybody watched DB and, of those who did watch it, a lot did it after watching DBZ. Having watched only the Saiyans, Freeza, Cell and Buu's arc and then start watching Oolong and kid Goku's silly gags is probably a turn off for some people because it feels like a totally different, more childish, show. I think if everybody had started with DB, more people would appreciate it more.
Personally, I don't really think about it as 2 different shows.
sintzu wrote: 95% of the iconic moments and fan favorite characters are from Z.

All the epic battles happened in Z.

Z used it's secondary characters a lot better then DB which is why Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan & Future Trunks are fan favorites compared to DB's secondary characters.
I don't agree with this. You also use a lot of hyperbole.
You can't say DB didn't have epic battles or iconic moments. Also, characters like Bulma, Muten Roshi and Tenshinhan were used really well. You are underselling DB here.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:17 pm

Cause muh dark and edgy seriousness no comedy allowed.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:32 pm

More action.
More serious.

Growing up as a kid, watching epic fights with Faulconer music just got me going.

Coulda cared less about Dragon Ball as a kid, it seemed immature to me as a seven year old.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:54 pm

We know better, but yeah, for kids, DBZ have more mature feel. It sure had for me. (But only the true DBZ! Not these Saban and Fox Kids abominations!)
DB on German TV had this weird noir kung-fu tone, but DBZ was more brutal and sci-fi.
Those are my children days feelings. It was so cool to watch DBZ and slap it in the faces of your schoolmates, who were running around the class shoutin: ''Char, char, charmandah!''
Literally, with DBZ, you could slap them one, lol.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:18 pm

I remember kids in my school enjoy both DB and DBZ, but DBZ was still more popular. Also DB looked dated when it air on Toonami in 2001 and the animation in DBZ was still recent looking for 2000-2003. Younger anime fans seem like that they can't get into older anime. I see people that can't watch Fist of the North Star because it's too dated for them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Netter75

Post by Netter75 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Tyro wrote:I find it's more often the opposite actually. Fans love OG Dragon Ball's charm and more choreographed fighting style over Z's (or technically mid-to-late Dragon Ball if we're discussing the manga) storytelling-fighting combination.

If the general public does like Z more than DB, it's most likely because that's what they grew up with, and the fights involve more ki techniques which makes them "cooler" by default.
I would agree with this. It doesn't help either that Z got crazy popular before they showed the original Dragon Ball. Think about it, besides learning how those "random" characters with little real significance in Z like Puar, Chiaotzu, Oolong, Roshi, Korin, and Baba were introduced, most kids didn't have much to be interested in. As others have pointed out, the tone is an about-face, the earlier arcs have an entirely different format, and the staging of the later fights is very different. When you go from the huge ki techniques and ridiculously dramatic stakes, it would be hard for a kid to shift to a downgrade of those two aspects, especially when much the main cast consists of characters that Z conditioned them not to care much about.

The evolution between the two shows works a lot better if watched in order, but most kids in America didn't have the opportunity to do that, so the original DB gets shafted a bit. I remember passively watching Z on its initial run, but I became invested in it after I viewed all of Dragon Ball first.
Working on AMVs for every major Dragon Ball character from Piccolo to Puar :crazy:
Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8PEvVt1fQW

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:42 pm

'For the most part, DB sort of just feels like another run of the mill 80s anime / children's cartoon. DBZ is far more distinctive and doesn't just blend in with other 90s animation.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:38 am

I see DB and DBZ as one show, 444 episodes, 10 arcs, all adapted from the same manga.
Goku was grown up in 23rd TB, it got serious with Kuririn's death and Boo returned to gags so DB - just gags with kid Goku division doesn't work. And it's more popular, because USA got introduced with Z and grew up with it, nostalgia and equally terrible Faulconer and dub is unbeatable for them and even today, a lot of casuals don't know about first 37% of Toriyama's story. But i don't give a fuck, it's their loss and that's why they're called casuals.
Last edited by Kuririn Fan on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:57 am

DBZ has epic fights and transformations and to most fans thats all that matters. I am not among those i prefer DB to DBZ.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:12 am

sintzu wrote:Goku was an adult in Z which gave it more of a serious tone.

95% of the iconic moments and fan favorite characters are from Z.
Um not really, sure Vegtea, Gohan, Trunks and Freeza are all fan favorites but OGDB had Gokuu,Piccolo,Kuririn, Bulma,Ten,Yamucha and Kame'senin are just as big if not as big.
Anyways, I massively prefer OGDB over Z, I mean I love Z but IDK something about OGDB makes me love it a lot more, maybe because of its or the fights in DB being better (come at me!) then Z or not having so many idiot ball moments like there is in Z, but in the end it's just matter of opinion about some stupid action adventure series from the 80s.
Also starting to hate the words "epic" and "serious".
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:23 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:I see DB and DBZ as one show, 444 episodes, 10 arcs, all adapted from the same manga.
Goku was grown up in 23rd TB, it got serious with Kuririn's death and Boo returned to gags so DB - just gags with kid Goku division doesn't work. And it's more popular, because USA got introduced with Z and grew up with it, nostalgia and equally terrible Faulconer and dub is unbeatable for them and even today, a lot of casuals don't know about first 37% of Toriyama's story. But i don't give a fuck, it's their loss and that's why they're called casuals.
Spot on dude.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:57 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:'For the most part, DB sort of just feels like another run of the mill 80s anime / children's cartoon. DBZ is far more distinctive and doesn't just blend in with other 90s animation.
I can't understand this sentiment at all, Toriyama's style is present throughout the show. And the whole thing looks like a children's cartoon because it is one.