Super focusing solely on Goku/Vegeta, will you get bored?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Super focusing solely on Goku/Vegeta, will you get bored?

Post by precita » Mon May 02, 2016 6:55 pm

So far all of Super's arcs (the Beerus movie, Return of F, the training with Beerus, and the tournament) have focused pretty much solely on Goku and Vegeta. While I'm OK with it for now, will you get bored/annoyed if the rest of Super's storylines continue to only focus on them out of the core cast?

If people complained the Buu saga sidelined the non-Saiyan characters, then Super is kicking that up to 11 and even ignoring Gohan/Goten/Trunks. I also have no hope of Krillin, Piccolo or the other humans doing anything of interest again.

If the rest of Super's run focuses only entirely on Goku/Vegeta with only the most minor screentime for other characters, will you get bored or annoyed? I feel its a bizarre choice given the Dragonball cast is filled with popular characters and Super isn't giving them any proper due. I think I might very well lose interest if Super continues on this path.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super focusing solely on Goku/Vegeta, will you get bored

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:12 pm

It all depends on what they do with Goku and Vegeta. If they continue being the reactionary characters, they'll remain dull as hell. If there characters are taken on a new path to let experiences allow them to truly grow up, that'd revitalize them. Goku was the sole main character of the manga, and we saw him grow and change as a boy. He did not solely just react to everything and pretty much remain the same. It kept Goku interesting. That's what Super needs to do with Goku and Vegeta. Then I wouldn't care as much about having more and more characters share the spotlight. Make the main characters more interesting, and then we don't need more main characters.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 02, 2016 7:32 pm

Gokû and Vegeta are my favorites, it's very difficult for me to get bored of either one. A boring Gokû and Vegeta ep for me would be this past weekend's ep (41) where despite being in the same place, they didn't so much as talk to each other or even approach one another.

I do however hope they interact more in the upcoming episodes. My interest in them always goes up when they're playing off one another. The training under Whis eps, the tournament prep eps are examples of situations I enjoy them in.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 02, 2016 7:58 pm

dbzfan7 hit the nail on the head. I really wouldn't mind if Super was focused on Goku and Vegeta, as long as they continue to grow as characters because it would make the plot more unique as their reactions to how the story progresses would be very intriguing.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:34 pm

I'll probably start getting annoyed if things continue like they are currently. Toei is basically torturing us by showing the characters that we've known for years at the sidelines at the sidelines and then introduce 6 new characters and have only 2 of them be useful and full of personality. I wouldn't be so disappointed with them only using Goku and Vegeta if they actually did something interesting with the characters we've just been introduced to.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon May 02, 2016 10:11 pm

Even though i would love to see other characters get their moments to shine but the direction in which Super is going i highly doubt it.Actually the tournament was the best chance to see other characters shine but even there everything came down to Gokuu and Vegeta.
Would i get bored ?No i am completely fine with it.But i would like to see them go through some sort of development.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 02, 2016 10:23 pm

Weird, you think the reason people liked DBZ was that the focus constantly shifted from character to character and never focused on the same one for too long at a time. Goku barely does anything in DBZ.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:33 pm

precita wrote:Weird, you think the reason people liked DBZ was that the focus constantly shifted from character to character and never focused on the same one for too long at a time. Goku barely does anything in DBZ.
It's not that people don't care but they've just given up. We just got one whole arc that gave a lot of people hope for characters to return and Super pretty much just stepped all over it. If they didn't bring back characters for the Universe 6 arc then we probably won't see anything in the future. There's no point in hoping for nothing.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon May 02, 2016 10:34 pm

Well, they've been focusing on Goku, Vegeta and Beerus.

I think I only will if they don't have any other interesting characters (old or new) around them. If every opponent they face or get information from or help are pretty one-dimensional, there'd be nothing there to keep my attention except Goku and Vegeta themselves.

I can't think of many stories where my favourite character is actually the main character or has the most amount of screentime. Goku and Vegeta have never particularly gripped me, even in the original series, but I never minded that. As long as there's one or two characters I enjoy that at least show up every so often, the show is worth watching for me.

That being said, if the supporting cast is sidelined unceremoniously, I will be a bit annoyed. But then I'll remember that at this point, it's almost tradition. (Except this time, Vegeta is getting special treatment.) That doesn't excuse it, but at least you can say it's consistent with how the story normally goes.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon May 02, 2016 11:02 pm

precita wrote:Weird, you think the reason people liked DBZ was that the focus constantly shifted from character to character and never focused on the same one for too long at a time. Goku barely does anything in DBZ.
Gokuu does the most important things in DBZ as well. In the end it always comes down to him.Even in the Cell and Saiyan arc where he doesnt finish the job he is involved indirectly.So you can't say he doesn't do anything.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 03, 2016 12:05 am

Goku still sits out the majority of DBZ's sagas except for some key moments. Only the second half of the Freeza arc and the tail-end of the Buu arc does the focus shift to him and only him.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue May 03, 2016 12:47 am

precita wrote:Goku still sits out the majority of DBZ's sagas except for some key moments. Only the second half of the Freeza arc and the tail-end of the Buu arc does the focus shift to him and only him.
Like i said before main focus or not he is always involved one way or another.Even though he sits out the majority of the sagas the moments he gets are more memorable than any of the supporting characters.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue May 03, 2016 1:17 am

Super has already reached that "oversaturation" point with FnF. Everything beyond it has been snorefest with major emphasize on Goku/Veggie

Goku was Toriyama's creation. So he knows how to utilize him WITHOUT being boring. Goku is sidelined over 80% of Saiyan, Namek/Frieza, Android & Boo Arc. Yet kicks so much ass whenever he gets into "action-mode". Why?

Proper character utilization/writing

Veggie is no different. Whenever Goku is missing in action, Veggie injects the series with a dynamic spirit (mind games in Namek, whole Super Vegeta & Majin Vegeta moment).

With Super, meh.

In fact, Boo Arc played the cards right at its tail-end by focusing on both fan-favourites Goku & Veggie after TONS of emphasize on unlikable/obnoxious/borderline annoying leads as Gotenks & Ultimate Gohan.

Super is doing it WRONG in exactly WRONG way

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue May 03, 2016 4:00 am

Well before people start saying they're focusing too much on Goku and Vegeta. Well you need to understand that when coming into this is that they're the main characters of the show and DBS is the story of Goku and Vegeta.

But what people need is seeing them grow as characters and learning new things.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue May 03, 2016 4:12 am

@ Captain Strawberry

Its not about DBS, GT, Z, DB, AF etc

Just DragonBall & Goku have been its face since its dawn. There are a handful of shows which had 2 protagonists (Ed & Al frm FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Gon & Killua from Hunter Hunter etc)

But those characters were not shoved down the throat of fans as what Super (essentially TOEI) has been doing exccessively

My 2 cents

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue May 03, 2016 4:32 am

Vijay wrote:@ Captain Strawberry

Its not about DBS, GT, Z, DB, AF etc

Just DragonBall & Goku have been its face since its dawn. There are a handful of shows which had 2 protagonists (Ed & Al frm FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Gon & Killua from Hunter Hunter etc)

But those characters were not shoved down the throat of fans as what Super (essentially TOEI) has been doing exccessively

My 2 cents

Well it's there and people have to accept change.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 03, 2016 4:45 am

They're my favorite characters so I doubt I'll get bored anytime soon.

However, I'd like them to go back to how they used everyone in DB & Z cause everyone got to shine regardless of how big or small their moments were.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:30 am

Captain Strawberry wrote: Well it's there and people have to accept change.
People can't just "accept" it. It may be beneficial to those that like those two characters but not everyone is like that. Not to mention that they haven't made those two grow at all. If anything, Goku's regressed a bit. There are several times in Super where it feels like he just took his past experiences and just threw them and logic out the door. Vegeta is alright I will admit but they have done nothing to evolve these characters. I don't wanna accept it. Others don't wanna accept it. They don't wanna accept that Dragon Ball Super is basically gonna do nothing with the characters that we grew to love over a long period of time. The fact of the matter is, we shouldn't have to
Last edited by Bansho64 on Tue May 03, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:13 am

Vegeta might get interesting if they play up his mentor-ship of Cabba more, but Goku? Goku's so stuck in his ways and everyone's chicken shit when it comes to do anything remotely new or fresh with him that I honestly can' see anything of value character wise for him ever again.

Which is a problem, because if you're going to focus on these two, you need to give me some interesting developments with them besides more Super Saiyan forms.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:12 am

it depends. ROF still give other characters a chance to fight before Goku and Vegeta show up.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/