Why is Broly popular?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Why is Broly popular?

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri May 06, 2016 5:37 am

dario03 wrote: Is it really a mistake though? Translations can often be done multiple ways, plus the name is a pun. And we don't have Cacarotto/Cacarot even though its carrot, not karrot.
Its a minor thing, nothing serious. Ofc its a pun, all of Dragon Ball names are puns on various things. We dont have Cacarotto because they're not all exactly like their origin word. Its just "i" instead of "y", nothing more...

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Fri May 06, 2016 10:23 am

Broly, in his first film, was a very interesting character. He wasn't just screams, thrashing and shouting, but had a conscience; was sadistic, cruel, and wasn't a total idiot.
Tries to kill Gohan, in front of his father, only to make suffer him, and realizes the deception of her own father Paragus, who kills without mercy.

It also has a design and a style of combat that makes very charismatic (public don't need more else for find him enjoyable ). The only flaw is the stupid hatred for Goku, and the stupid reason for such hatred. He would hate Vegeta,why is because of him that was almost killed and thrown away like rubbish. Then, the last two films are terrible, and Broly becomes an idiot who yells and hits.
Last edited by Gorou on Fri May 06, 2016 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:26 am

You just referred to Broly as "her," "it," and "he" in the same paragraph. Can you please put some actual effort into posting?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri May 06, 2016 10:28 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:You just referred to Broly as "her," "it," and "he" in the same paragraph. Can you please put some actual effort into posting?
Wow, dude, that sounded rude, English is clearly not his first language...

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:30 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:You just referred to Broly as "her," "it," and "he" in the same paragraph. Can you please put some actual effort into posting?
Wow, dude, that sounded rude, English is clearly not his first language...
You can have a different first language, and still be consistent when speaking another. I'm well aware of how language works and dealing with ESL people. That is just lazy.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Fri May 06, 2016 10:39 am

Often, i leave grammatical imperfections purposely for finicky user, so that can reply something
If you care to know, i tend to correct typing errors quickly afterward, but the magnitude, and the speed, of your fussiness surprised me.

Sun Wukong
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sun Wukong » Fri May 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Would you really like to know OP? Do you really want to? Somethings are better left as a mystery.
"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post my masters changed. Along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words - can - kill."
—Skull Face

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
dario03 wrote: Is it really a mistake though? Translations can often be done multiple ways, plus the name is a pun. And we don't have Cacarotto/Cacarot even though its carrot, not karrot.
Its a minor thing, nothing serious. Ofc its a pun, all of Dragon Ball names are puns on various things. We dont have Cacarotto because they're not all exactly like their origin word. Its just "i" instead of "y", nothing more...
I know its minor, but what I'm asking is if it is actually a minor mistake or completely acceptable. Like how I've seen some other names said to be wrong by many people but then Herms or somebody else that knows Japanese says that they are actually completely fine translations.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri May 06, 2016 3:02 pm

dario03 wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
I know its minor, but what I'm asking is if it is actually a minor mistake or completely acceptable. Like how I've seen some other names said to be wrong by many people but then Herms or somebody else that knows Japanese says that they are actually completely fine translations.
Broly is fine, but Broli is truer to broccoli.
Kanzenshuu uses Broli.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri May 06, 2016 4:01 pm

'Broli' is a more literal romanisation, and as has been said, ports the 'i' from Broccol(i),

That said, 'Broly' is also phonetically competent and has precedent in official romanisations - from both inside and out of Japan - so it really comes down to preference. No one should be pulling anyone up for using either.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:16 pm

Gorou wrote:Broly, in his first film, was a very interesting character. He wasn't just screams, thrashing and shouting, but had a conscience; was sadistic, cruel, and wasn't a total idiot.
Tries to kill Gohan, in front of his father, only to make suffer him, and realizes the deception of her own father Paragus, who kills without mercy.

It also has a design and a style of combat that makes very charismatic (public don't need more else for find him enjoyable ). The only flaw is the stupid hatred for Goku, and the stupid reason for such hatred. He would hate Vegeta,why is because of him that was almost killed and thrown away like rubbish. Then, the last two films are terrible, and Broly becomes an idiot who yells and hits.
I agree with all of this. It's really the other 2 movies and future material that make Broly so stupid and lame. He had some personality and quirks in the first film. He's a muscle head idiot in everything else though. Screams Kakarot and fights, says nothing at all, and then the other Dragon Ball media takes mainly from the latter? I never got that. Broly was on the right amount of simple, til the later material made him way too simple. Kid Boo basically if he were a saiyan.

I do also agree he really should have had more hate for Vegeta than merely just Goku.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 08, 2016 9:29 pm

I will admit that I used to be a pretty big Broly fan when I was younger. I think his popularity boils down to the fact that he's an evil Super Saiyan(I certainly thought that was pretty cool at the time), and the fact that his design screams "raw power". Looking back on him, I think was Broly was a decent character in movie 8. He wasn't exactly some overly complex and well thought out character with believable motivations, but Dragon Ball villains rarely are to be honest, especially the ones from the movies. At the very least, he actually spoke on a fairly consistent basis, and his sadistic personality did make him somewhat intimidating.

Movies 10, 11, and most of the later video games are what ruined the character in my opinion.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:37 pm

Because he's 8 feet tall, very muscular, super strong because it took everybody to beat him, and he's known as the legendary Super Saiyan.

People like super strong muscular humanoid creatures that like to destroy.

But I personally was never a fan. He was just a big mindless animal.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

MonkeyKing16
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MonkeyKing16 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:43 pm

Aaah yes, Broly....I remember when fellow friends would talk about how cool and hardcore he was....

Then I saw his debut film and found myself falling asleep.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Fri May 13, 2016 10:46 pm

I've never seen DBZ movie 8 all the way through. I just can't get over what clips I've seen of it; I mean is Broly's anger towards Goku really just due to his obnoxious loud crying as a baby? That really is the weakest motivation ever. Also what makes his transformation more legendary than the others? I never really got into Broly my self because of those things however I think the reason he is so popular is apparent,

1) He looks cool, is a Saiyan and has a memorable name
2) He comes from one of the longest and well animated movies in the franchise, with impressive fight scenes
3) He has a lot of hype surrounding him, online and in the video game; heck legendary is in his name
Youtube reviewing channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaFeeso

I am also an editor for the One Pace fan edit project on AP

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Sat May 14, 2016 3:00 am

Ohms wrote:I've never seen DBZ movie 8 all the way through. I just can't get over what clips I've seen of it; I mean is Broly's anger towards Goku really just due to his obnoxious loud crying as a baby? That really is the weakest motivation ever.
That's not really what the movie is about though. Broli is Vegeta's version of a "true Super Saiyan", a warrior who loves to fight and kill for its own sake, he has no other motivation beyond indulging his love of destruction. Broli's hatred for Goku was just the unexpected catalyst that allowed Broli to break his mind control and allow his real personality to come out.

If anything I think movie 8 is about watching the perfect storm unfold; Paragus and his carefully laid plans for taking revenge on Vegeta and conquering the galaxy with his mind-controlled son, coming completely undone because he couldn't have predicted that the one guy in the entire universe that could get Broli mad enough to break his chains would just show up on his doorstep at the worst possible time.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat May 14, 2016 11:41 am

Ohms wrote:I've never seen DBZ movie 8 all the way through. I just can't get over what clips I've seen of it; I mean is Broly's anger towards Goku really just due to his obnoxious loud crying as a baby? That really is the weakest motivation ever.
Of course not.

The movie goes out of its way to imply that the fight between Broly and Goku is a fight of destiny, which is why they are born on the same day (the day that the LSSJ, said to appear once every 1000 years, is born) on opposite sides of the power spectrum (Goku with not even a 5 in power level and Broly with 10.000).

Goku making Broly cry is simply a metaphor for how Goku, despite lacking power, still manages to find a way to affect and beat Broly. Just like when they are babies and Goku manages to get Broly to cry despite the power difference, as adults, Goku, despite being weaker, with his determination and the power that his friends gave him, manages to beat Broly, which is why the scene of them as babies is played as Goku is defeating Broly as adults.

As for why Broly is so upset by Goku, it's not because he didn't like his crying, it's because he can feel, instinctively, that they are meant to duke it out as rivals. Goku actually threatens him and his power, and Broly, that is a character that is shown to be a slave and bound by his savage instincts, notices that thanks to his instincts, and the movie proves him right, since Goku manages to beat him.

Movie 8 is actually the DBZ movie with most depth. It isn't much but it's more than the other DBZ movies.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sat May 14, 2016 4:26 pm

He's strong

he looks cool

both his Japanese and English voices are crazy awesome

He's the only evil SSJ we get

his fights are epic

he fits what we kept getting teased and never got, a ssj that fit the legend description. a ruthless killing machine.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat May 14, 2016 6:13 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:He's strong

he looks cool

his fights are epic

he fits what we kept getting teased and never got, a ssj that fit the legend description. a ruthless killing machine.
This is the simplest and best answer.

It's really not hard to see why Broly is popular. Take out his obsession with "Kakarot." What are we left with? Off the bat, he has no motive or affiliation with any of the characters; he's a god of destruction before that was a thing.

His popularity stems from his personality, appearance, power, and status of LSSJ. Let's break it down:
Personality - Broly is unquestionably the most sadistic villain in the franchise. He blew up the planet of those aliens in front their eyes for no other reason besides watching them suffer. You could argue Frieza is more, but Broly relishes destruction, whereas Frieza prefers to sit back and conquer. Untamed, Broly would go planet to planet, destroying civilizations for his own twisted pleasure. Kid Buu is similar, but he comes off as basically a child playing a game and blowing shit up to relieve himself of boredom. Broly is fully conscious of his acts and enjoys watching people suffer; he's purely a psychopath.

Appearance - Not only is he the most sadistic villain, but he's also the most imposing. Seriously, look at him. Fitting him into a show like Super is like putting Goku side by side with Jason Voorhees or Pinhead. Even in DBZ, he really stood out for his menacing appearance; he genuinely looks frightening. Sure, the LSSJ form is basically a copy+paste of USSJ Trunks prior to fully transforming... but that was really cool in itself!

Power - Yes, multiple villains are stronger than Broly. However, not a single one has been quite as dominant. He benchpressed Vegeta's face, steamrolled everyone at once, was un-phased by a point blank kamehameha, and never fucking flinched. Nobody has ever come close to beating Broly in a 1v1 fight; he always loses for some bullshit reason. Besides his insane durability and strength, he also has those cool green energy ball thingies.

LSSJ status - And this one's the kicker. He's marketed as the legendary super saiyan, even if that's technically not true. He's the only evil SSJ in the franchise, and his form is portrayed as a borderline uncontrollable one with almost limitless power. How is that not awesome?

Case in point, Broly really stands out among the villains in the franchise. I feel a lot of people who strongly dislike him focus too much on the "Kakarottoo!!!" thing and his crazy fanbase. With that said, I leave this video, which sums up everything I've written:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1PZ39_13k
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sat May 14, 2016 7:02 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:He's strong

he looks cool

his fights are epic

This is the simplest and best answer.

It's really not hard to see why Broly is popular. Take out his obsession with "Kakarot." What are we left with? Off the bat, he has no motive or affiliation with any of the characters; he's a god of destruction before that was a thing.

His popularity stems from his personality, appearance, power, and status of LSSJ. Let's break it down:
Personality - Broly is unquestionably the most sadistic villain in the franchise. He blew up the planet of those aliens in front their eyes for no other reason besides watching them suffer. You could argue Frieza is more, but Broly relishes destruction, whereas Frieza prefers to sit back and conquer. Untamed, Broly would go planet to planet, destroying civilizations for his own twisted pleasure. Kid Buu is similar, but he comes off as basically a child playing a game and blowing shit up to relieve himself of boredom. Broly is fully conscious of his acts and enjoys watching people suffer; he's purely a psychopath.

Appearance - Not only is he the most sadistic villain, but he's also the most imposing. Seriously, look at him. Fitting him into a show like Super is like putting Goku side by side with Jason Voorhees or Pinhead. Even in DBZ, he really stood out for his menacing appearance; he genuinely looks frightening. Sure, the LSSJ form is basically a copy+paste of USSJ Trunks prior to fully transforming... but that was really cool in itself!

Power - Yes, multiple villains are stronger than Broly. However, not a single one has been quite as dominant. He benchpressed Vegeta's face, steamrolled everyone at once, was un-phased by a point blank kamehameha, and never fucking flinched. Nobody has ever come close to beating Broly in a 1v1 fight; he always loses for some bullshit reason. Besides his insane durability and strength, he also has those cool green energy ball thingies.

LSSJ status - And this one's the kicker. He's marketed as the legendary super saiyan, even if that's technically not true. He's the only evil SSJ in the franchise, and his form is portrayed as a borderline uncontrollable one with almost limitless power. How is that not awesome?

Case in point, Broly really stands out among the villains in the franchise. I feel a lot of people who strongly dislike him focus too much on the "Kakarottoo!!!" thing and his crazy fanbase. With that said, I leave this video, which sums up everything I've written:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1PZ39_13k

I honestly find Broly more sadistic then frieza. Why?

Frieza will only torture you if he's bored or you anger him and he wants revenge. He just likes to stroke his ego and concure like you said.

Broly? He Tortures for fun. he goes out of his way to watch people WHO HELPED HIM AND SERVED HIM suffer. Frieza only kills his henchmen quickly, and only after they fail him. He doesn't seek them out to hurt them. Vegeta is the rare 1 who stole his chance of immortality, so yeah he tortured him. So to make a point clear, Broly is more evil and sadistic. Goes out to torture, frieza only torture when he's mad or bored, not as much of a goal in life.

I think people hate him and call all fans brolytards because like 10 years ago there SUED TO BE people who over touted him like people do for beerus right now. Saying he's like ssj10 teir and blah blah. And yeah over hype can kil la character 9points to beerus and whis and ssj blue) but its not fair to the forms and characters TBH. I'm guilty of it too.

honestly IDK why people people complain about his story, dragonball's never really had a story. Goku's story is the story of not superman doing superman things and liking to fight. vegeta is egenric rival who wants to be better then main character and so forth.

My theorey on his back story, the trauma of being stabbed and losing his people and watching his father bleed out after he's been thrown to the trash like garbage has made broly cling to the last memory he had before the tragic event- which is goku making him cry. But that's its own debate and thing. I'll leave you with a broly video of my own I found. :) Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3af3WA6KOIY
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)