What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Clayton
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:22 am

What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Clayton » Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Helloo,

What kind of TV do you use the most for DBZ and how big is it! :think: :P

Theophrastus
Regular
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:00 pm
Location: United States

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Theophrastus » Wed May 18, 2016 9:57 pm

Been a while since I've actually watched the anime, but the TV I use for basically everything is a small 18.5 inch 720p one in my room. Nothing special, but I'm not exactly a videophile.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by sintzu » Thu May 19, 2016 3:29 am

42inch LED.

I watch all my Blu-Rays on it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat May 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Nothing too special, 27" Sharp LCD, 1080p.

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by LordCrumb » Sat May 21, 2016 4:43 pm

60" LG 1080p. Then I occasionally crack out the 100" projector for a Battle of Gods re-watch.

User avatar
MarcFBR
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:50 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by MarcFBR » Sat May 21, 2016 4:46 pm

50 inch 2014 4k Vizio that I've tuned within an inch of it's life (or at least as close as I can without professional calibration gear.)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6119
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Ajay » Sat May 21, 2016 4:57 pm

I tend to switch between two displays.

If I'm sat at my desk, I'm using my ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift. It's 27", 2560x1440, IPS, and also has G-Sync, alongside a 165Hz refresh rate for the best gaming experience. It's calibrated with a Spyder4 Pro colour calibration tool.

If I want to kick back, then I'm watching everything on a Samsung UE46F8000 that, much like MarcFBR said, has had its display adjusted to as close as I can get it without using the profile generated by the aforementioned calibration tool. It's pretty nice, though I'd quite like to upgrade to a 4K TV at some point.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by NitroEX » Sun May 22, 2016 6:02 am

Ajay wrote:though I'd quite like to upgrade to a 4K TV at some point.
Won't a 4:3 show like DBZ look like crap on a 4K TV? Not that that's the only reason you'd buy one but since those two subjects came up I figured I'd ask.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6119
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Ajay » Sun May 22, 2016 6:06 am

NitroEX wrote:
Ajay wrote:though I'd quite like to upgrade to a 4K TV at some point.
Won't a 4:3 show like DBZ look like crap on a 4K TV? Not that that's the only reason you'd buy one but since those two subjects came up I figured I'd ask.
Why would it? :?

I'm struggling to see the connection between aspect ratio and resolution.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by NitroEX » Sun May 22, 2016 6:13 am

Ajay wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
Ajay wrote:though I'd quite like to upgrade to a 4K TV at some point.
Won't a 4:3 show like DBZ look like crap on a 4K TV? Not that that's the only reason you'd buy one but since those two subjects came up I figured I'd ask.
Why would it? :?

I'm struggling to see the connection between aspect ratio and resolution.
I'm no expert on the subject, I just assumed the picture would have to be stretched and might become pixelated. Judging by your response I guess I'm wrong about that.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6119
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Ajay » Sun May 22, 2016 6:20 am

NitroEX wrote: I'm no expert on the subject, I just assumed the picture would have to be stretched and might become pixelated. Judging by your response I guess I'm wrong about that.
Oh right! Nope, most if not all modern TVs will retain the original aspect ratio of the source material. Usually by default, but if not, you can find a menu to fix it.

As for pixelation, these TVs have built in upscalers that interpolate SD and standard HD resolutions up to match the native 4K resolution of the screen. It's not magic, but it's never going to be outright worse than watching it on any other TV; you're not actually losing quality.

Hope that helps! :)
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
MarcFBR
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:50 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by MarcFBR » Sun May 22, 2016 7:44 pm

Ajay wrote:
NitroEX wrote: I'm no expert on the subject, I just assumed the picture would have to be stretched and might become pixelated. Judging by your response I guess I'm wrong about that.
Oh right! Nope, most if not all modern TVs will retain the original aspect ratio of the source material. Usually by default, but if not, you can find a menu to fix it.

As for pixelation, these TVs have built in upscalers that interpolate SD and standard HD resolutions up to match the native 4K resolution of the screen. It's not magic, but it's never going to be outright worse than watching it on any other TV; you're not actually losing quality.

Hope that helps! :)
Generally true... but it depends on various elements of the upscaling. Some TVs do it better than others, some don't necessarily do it all that well (although this is less of an issue than it was with older HDTVs that sometimes scaled up things horribly.)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6119
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Ajay » Sun May 22, 2016 7:51 pm

MarcFBR wrote:Generally true... but it depends on various elements of the upscaling. Some TVs do it better than others, some don't necessarily do it all that well (although this is less of an issue than it was with older HDTVs that sometimes scaled up things horribly.)
Very true. Had an old LG TV that would blur the ever-loving shit out of anything lower than its native resolution.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Bansho64 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:46 pm

I usually watch it on my old Sylvania CRT Tv. Sometimes I'll hook it up to the vcr to watch my tapes and sometimes I'll watch my dvds on my dvd player. Vcr is usually my main preference.

User avatar
TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun May 22, 2016 9:52 pm

I mainly watch it on my 1080P Sony 50 Inch TV from 2014 in my living room. I paid so much for that TV and recently 4K has been really cheap which sucks for me. :cry:
It gets the job done well and Dragon Ball looks pretty good even when I stretch the ratio to 16:9.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

User avatar
MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:09 am
Location: Frieza Planet 419

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:26 pm

Ajay wrote:I tend to switch between two displays.

If I'm sat at my desk, I'm using my ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift. It's 27", 2560x1440, IPS, and also has G-Sync, alongside a 165Hz refresh rate for the best gaming experience. It's calibrated with a Spyder4 Pro colour calibration tool.

If I want to kick back, then I'm watching everything on a Samsung UE46F8000 that, much like MarcFBR said, has had its display adjusted to as close as I can get it without using the profile generated by the aforementioned calibration tool. It's pretty nice, though I'd quite like to upgrade to a 4K TV at some point.
How is that monitor? I've been keeping my eye on it since it dropped and have only heard good things about it other than people receiving lemons.

User avatar
sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by sayian_nation_ » Mon May 23, 2016 6:15 am

On my 65 inch HD Sony Wega projection tv. Love it

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6119
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Ajay » Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 am

MrWalnut4 wrote:
Ajay wrote:I'm using my ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift.
How is that monitor? I've been keeping my eye on it since it dropped and have only heard good things about it other than people receiving lemons.
Absurdly good.

I'd had a Samsung 120Hz monitor since 2011, but was never satisfied with its colour accuracy. There were many IPS monitors out there, but I wasn't ever willing to give up 120Hz+, since 60Hz feels as shitty as 30 after going back. Seeing this monitor announced was a dream come true.

I'm loving it so far. Colours are outstanding, gradients are smooth, and the jump from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 is wonderful -- seriously, the extra screen space is so nice. Though a word of warning: performance-wise, that jump is much bigger than I anticipated. I have a 5820K and two 980s in SLI, and even those have trouble pushing newer games up into the 100fps+ range at that resolution (I know that's extreme, but if you have a high refresh rate, you'll want to use it). Fortunately, G-Sync is pretty much crazy voodoo magic. Lower frame rates that would normally feel like utter shit don't actually feel too bad thanks to that tech. It was very handy while playing Rise of the Tomb Raider that featured some notoriously unoptimised areas.

One thing I would recommend, and it was noted in TFTCentral's review, is to keep the Response Time Overdrive setting on 'Normal' as the 'Extreme' setting introduces a lot of overshoot. It sits at about 5ms, which is a little higher than its TN counterparts, but the colour reproduction you get with IPS is a good trade-off.

Proper calibration is definitely essential as the monitor is quite green out of the box, and bright enough to make you feel like you're staring into the sun. The settings TFT list on their site are a good starting point, so tweaking from there should definitely give you optimal results.

Highly recommended. It's a little pricey, but it's absolutely worth it if you have a machine capable of driving it to its greatest potential. Now excuse me while I go and sell my kidneys for two 1080s...
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:09 am
Location: Frieza Planet 419

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by MrWalnut4 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:47 pm

Ajay wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote:
Ajay wrote:I'm using my ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift.
How is that monitor? I've been keeping my eye on it since it dropped and have only heard good things about it other than people receiving lemons.
Absurdly good.

I'd had a Samsung 120Hz monitor since 2011, but was never satisfied with its colour accuracy. There were many IPS monitors out there, but I wasn't ever willing to give up 120Hz+, since 60Hz feels as shitty as 30 after going back. Seeing this monitor announced was a dream come true.

I'm loving it so far. Colours are outstanding, gradients are smooth, and the jump from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 is wonderful -- seriously, the extra screen space is so nice. Though a word of warning: performance-wise, that jump is much bigger than I anticipated. I have a 5820K and two 980s in SLI, and even those have trouble pushing newer games up into the 100fps+ range at that resolution (I know that's extreme, but if you have a high refresh rate, you'll want to use it). Fortunately, G-Sync is pretty much crazy voodoo magic. Lower frame rates that would normally feel like utter shit don't actually feel too bad thanks to that tech. It was very handy while playing Rise of the Tomb Raider that featured some notoriously unoptimised areas.

One thing I would recommend, and it was noted in TFTCentral's review, is to keep the Response Time Overdrive setting on 'Normal' as the 'Extreme' setting introduces a lot of overshoot. It sits at about 5ms, which is a little higher than its TN counterparts, but the colour reproduction you get with IPS is a good trade-off.

Proper calibration is definitely essential as the monitor is quite green out of the box, and bright enough to make you feel like you're staring into the sun. The settings TFT list on their site are a good starting point, so tweaking from there should definitely give you optimal results.

Highly recommended. It's a little pricey, but it's absolutely worth it if you have a machine capable of driving it to its greatest potential. Now excuse me while I go and sell my kidney's for two 1080s...
Guh, so tempted to take out another student loan. Guess I'll have to settle until I can save up for the big guns this summer. Those 1080's though... EVGA is going to get an absurd amount of my money.

User avatar
Kaboom
Moderator
Posts: 14144
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Funky Town
Contact:

Re: What TV do you watch your DBZ on?

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 25, 2016 2:11 am

Typically the small 18" Insignia flatscreen TV I have on my desk serving primarily as a second monitor for my laptop. I usually use said laptop to watch my DVDs, but resort to my PS2 if its optical drive is being uncooperative. When I really want to soak in the quality of a good transfer (Dragon Boxes are love, Dragon Boxes are life) or watch a Blu-ray, I'll instead use the big ol' 40-something-inch Samsung TV down in the living room.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.
If Super wanted to be "canon," then it should have been good.
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Post Reply