Why hasn't Super had any cultural impact at all?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Why hasn't Super had any cultural impact at all?

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri May 27, 2016 10:52 am

Analytic wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:It's a very popular opinion, at least.
Appeal to popularity is a very weak argument. If a lot of people thought that the sky was green, would that be true? Of course not. Not to mention, most people don't even watch all of GT. They just assume it's bad because 1.) It's what a lot of other people do, and 2.) it's not written by Toriyama and thus "non-canon" by some people's arbitrary definitions.

I don't like GT too much, but I at least give it a chance and don't look for every possible way to attack it just because of bias against it.
I read and watch everything Dragon Ball there is to read and watch, that includes GT. I think it's bad and majority of fans think that too. And i'm not hating it because it's popular, my favorite arc is Majin Boo arc and that's not exactly popular opinion.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri May 27, 2016 10:55 am

"Popular opinion" does not equate correct opinion. It is a incredibly and boy do I mean INCREDIBLY obnoxious argument to appeal to the popular opinion. It can also show that the person making this argument has no real opinion of their own. Also like others pointed out, it is also obnoxious to come in and go "GT SUCKS!" every time someone mentions it.

OK, with that done, actual topic talk. Super has only just gotten through its first original arc, it is also rather by the books it seems so expecting it to have any impact right now is kinda expecting far too much from the series. We'll see in a couple years or so if it leaves any real impact but even then I think that is expecting a lot out of Super.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri May 27, 2016 10:56 am

voltlunok wrote:
"Popular opinion" does not equate correct opinion. It is a incredibly and boy do I mean INCREDIBLY obnoxious argument to appeal to the popular opinion. It can also show that the person making this argument has no real opinion of their own. Also like others pointed out, it is also obnoxious to come in and go "GT SUCKS!" every time someone mentions it.
Read the post above yours.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri May 27, 2016 11:04 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
voltlunok wrote:
Read the post above yours.
I did, you are still trying to argue with the 'popular opinion' like it is the 'correct opinion'. Good for you for liking the Buu arc but that doesn't really deflect the fact you default to "It is the popular opinion." when it comes to GT. I still scratch my head in wonder why you obsess over popping in and going "GT sucks." every. single. time. it is brought up. But whatever, do what ya do I guess. This is going off topic so unless we have things to discuss with the actual thread topic. Think we should just end this chain here.

Minor edit! Also lets just call the "popular opinion" what it really is, the loudest opinion.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri May 27, 2016 11:43 am

Yeah lets end it here Kuririn Fan you can stick to the popular opinion but i will not i have not and will never let popularity determine my likes and dislikes.You yourself gave a great example Boo arc is bashed a lot and it is your favorite. Well same here GT is bashed but i like it not as much as the original series but i like it.

- Travis

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri May 27, 2016 12:01 pm

precita wrote:Is it just me or is there no hype?
What sort of "cultural impact" are you expecting? Already users of this forum, reddit, youtube, and other DB communities have Champa and Hit avatars blazing. Merchandise sales are good, Super characters appear all over new games, and I can even admit I've made manga purchases since Super has been released. Sure, there hasn't been a red carpet theatrical release with media attention, but that may come from Super's debut overseas in due time.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri May 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Another thing that may play againts SUPER having any cultural impact would the current competition in the anime market, (at least to my perseption) to consumer now demands more than just a simple battle shounen show (which is what Dragon Ball as a whole is), outside of beloging to a very popular IP, DBSuper doesn´t out compared to what the competition is offering. On a similar note the previous, the current market is oversaturated with tons of new animes per season.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri May 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Vijay wrote:While genuinely groundbreaking anime as Death Note, Code Geass, Hunter Hunter (2011) & FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood can go largely unnoticed at many parts of the world, you gotta be grateful Super (given its pathetic quality) somewhat made some sort of news/wave.

Yeah, gratefullness.

DB & Z were genuinely great shows, while Super would make GT look like classic by comparison. Dat alone should tell its "far-fetched dream" of attaining the cultural impact as DB & Z did
Aww, come on. Isn't there anybody here who likes the original FMA anime more than Brotherhood.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Current anime fans don't care for Super at all. The show is viewed as a cash-grab or joke. You guys should see what people are saying outside of Dragonball communities since obviously here people are big fans of the property and would be more forgiving of Super's flaws.

If Super didn't have the nostalgia of familiar characters and series to back it up, it would be viewed as a poor shonen anime. The show is a laughing stock.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri May 27, 2016 2:39 pm

precita wrote:Current anime fans don't care for Super at all. The show is viewed as a cash-grab or joke. You guys should see what people are saying outside of Dragonball communities since obviously here people are big fans of the property and would be more forgiving of Super's flaws.

If Super didn't have the nostalgia of familiar characters and series to back it up, it would be viewed as a poor shonen anime. The show is a laughing stock.
Sometimes they can be more harsh than the average anime fan (see for instance Dragon Ball minus).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri May 27, 2016 2:56 pm

precita wrote:Current anime fans don't care for Super at all. The show is viewed as a cash-grab or joke. You guys should see what people are saying outside of Dragonball communities since obviously here people are big fans of the property and would be more forgiving of Super's flaws.

Dragon Ball is still selling shit ton of merchandise and the series is still airing only in Japan, and it's in top 10 every week. The Don of Toei family is probably happy with the results of the work his capos and their crews did. We shouldn't be even watching this, but we are and most of the fans that do watch it, are satisfied with this latest arc.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri May 27, 2016 3:29 pm

There is about like over a 100 DBS videos with over a millions of views in just the English part of youtube, This is not even counting the ones in Spanish which quite a few of them have over a million views. Most anime coming out right now don't even have a single video with over 500,000 views.

And if you look at most people on youtube DB pictures of youtube it's something from Super. There are people with avatars of Goku going SSBKK,Hit,Champa,Cabba,Beerus,Whis and more characters from Super everywhere, I see people with super avatars on Total War Warhammer videos. I also see a lot people with Super avatars on Warcraft comment sections,space videos and in a lot of video game comment sections in general. I sometimes see people in The Young Turks comments with super avatars as well, so i don't see where you are getting that people are not watching it from.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 27, 2016 3:52 pm

precita wrote: Current anime fans don't care for Super at all.

The show is viewed as a cash-grab or joke.

You guys should see what people are saying outside of Dragonball communities

since obviously here people are big fans of the property and would be more forgiving of Super's flaws.

If Super didn't have the nostalgia of familiar characters and series to back it up, it would be viewed as a poor shonen anime.
If they're not fans of DB then this won't change their minds.

If the next arc doesn't do something original like what BOG did then that's how I might end up looking at it as well and this is coming from someone who loves the original, BOG & some of Super's decisions.

I've read some of it and I can't say I blame them.

I don't think that's going to be the case forever.

That's how it's viewed now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri May 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:GT is the heartless one and a stain on Dragon Ball's name. It can't be compared to Super, let alone Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. It's a piece of shit, terrible fucking garbage of a series and forever will be.
More of the exaggerated GT hate to validate Super's flaws? In all honesty, GT really didn't do anything worse than Super does now whether people will admit it or not. It still has more continuity nodded within it now, than Super still fails to connect itself to with Toriyama on board and in the modern age. It also actually had a plot, not this lazy tournament over tournament nonsense. What is the excuse for that, to say GT is the abomination?
SSJ YUSUKE wrote:The Dragonball franchise including all it's manga, anime, video games and merchandise is a cultural icon. Super is part of this, that it is why it exists and you can't view it in isolation without taking into account that it is part of a massive franchise. For example I watched GT, played the video games, etc because it was part of the Dragonball Franchise, Super is no different.
You cannot separate Super from the rest of the franchise, Super is making money because it is part of the dragonaball franchise, so if you want to talk about cultural impact you can't separate parts of the franchise.
Bias towards a product's quality based on its franchise doesn't make every incarnation off it, quality be default. Anything with DB's name will make money off of that biased brand loyalty regardless, which is why expectations for it are held so low. People will overrate the quality of any modern installment to the series off of the brand alone and GT hate. Thats become obvious now.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 27, 2016 5:52 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: It also actually had a plot, not this lazy tournament over tournament nonsense. What is the excuse for that, to say GT is the abomination?
DB also had "this lazy tournament over tournament nonsense".
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri May 27, 2016 6:06 pm

Super is probably really popular in Japan.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

exodius33

Post by exodius33 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Resurrection F made a shit ton of money in America. Super hasn't had a "cultural impact" because it's only aired in Japan. Dragon Ball is as popular as it ever was.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun May 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Kuwabara wrote:I think a large part of it has to do with being the first Dragon Ball series widely disseminated during the Web 2.0 age. From the perspective of an American, Dragon Ball anything had a lot more mystique back when the Internet wasn't as big as it is now. Now, in terms of popular media, hardly anything's a big deal anymore besides the hyped up US network shows and Hollywood tentpole summer films. The fact that Super was released during this particular time could have been a major boon in terms of social media, and perhaps it would have been if the show was a little better as others have said, but Toei is incredibly cheap and completely out of touch with its global audience. They're in the animation business to sell toys in Japan.

Maybe things will pick up once it's dubbed, FUNimation will do a great job if Battle of Gods and Resurrection F are any indication. I also think it would be a great idea if they skipped to the Universe 6 arc if and when the show ends up on Toonami, the Super retellings of the movies are incredibly boring.
I think a bigger factor there is because most people see DB as that childhood niche from nostalgia and its really only upheld by nostalgic familiarity in the west for most people. The boom isn't there anymore for most people that are either over it, or people that have seen other Shounen and want newer series to
feel current and new. You cant really talk about DBZ in public anymore without people assuming you're a manchild, because its just known as the "repetitive, screaming, angry, buff, man explosions" to most common people. Sailormoon Crystal had more hype than Super simply because you couldn't really stereotype the series based on its own overused, marketed tropes. New Super Saiyan Transformation? Been there, done that.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ROCKYIII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ROCKYIII » Mon May 30, 2016 7:17 pm

To quell the hype so much the series just had to be really mediocre to bad, which it was. Just remember the retelling of both movies because they didn't have the content and rushed. On top of that, remember episode 5 at the beginning of the series. Remember just the animation quality in general and the frieza fight. And remember that all of these things are not really new, they are just nonsensical rehashed material from z (frieza, future trunks). There is nothing new.

If it started with the champa arc I think people would be more forgiving, but it gave a sort of middling arc with basically no stakes (characters far stronger than anyone are sitting in the stands) and no development (the tournament could have went somewhere to create an epic arc with multiple acts) after 30 something episodes of retelling what we've already seen (probably many times over).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 30, 2016 7:47 pm

The only real problem with the Champa arc is again Goku/Vegeta were the only two who matted.

Buu didn't even get to fight and Piccolo was screwed over. Even leaving things aside like Gohan not being there at all, its a real disappointment.