French dubs of DB, DBZ, and GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Re: French dubs of DB, DBZ, and GT

Post by DragonDuck » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:07 pm

I apologize in advance if this question is redundant, but are the uncut French DVDs available as singles?
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:54 am

DragonDuck wrote:I apologize in advance if this question is redundant, but are the uncut French DVDs available as singles?
No the uncut only exist as box , that is the last french release for the original series and kaze didn't talk about a new release (kaze had the dragon ball right now in france) but they are regularly in promotion

https://www.anime-store.fr/as/index.php ... 62&start=0
this french website is the cheapest i think in france and they can ship in states

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:25 am

genjosanzo8 wrote:
DragonDuck wrote:I apologize in advance if this question is redundant, but are the uncut French DVDs available as singles?
No the uncut only exist as box , that is the last french release for the original series and kaze didn't talk about a new release (kaze had the dragon ball right now in france) but they are regularly in promotion

this french website is the cheapest i think in france and they can ship in states
Thank you! I'll keep that in mind.
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:53 am

DragonDuck wrote:
genjosanzo8 wrote:

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind.
there is sometimes other reduction but it is on amazon.fr and it can ship on us too
it had censored version too

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:56 am

Hey, I'm doing some research on different countries where Dragon Ball still run and I was wondering is the French dub airing anywhere?

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:33 am

No, there is no current airing... few time ago it was aired on the channel named "mangas" but no more.

other news dragon ball raging blast plan to eradicate saiyajin, episode of baddack (maybe yo son goku and his friends return) are dubbed in french it was confirmed by philippe ariotti who dub frieza and coola

http://www.db-z.com/forum/ova/les-oav-d ... #msg223878

it talk about a future release of the movies by kaze

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:17 am

genjosanzo8 wrote:No, there is no current airing... few time ago it was aired on the channel named "mangas" but no more.

other news dragon ball raging blast plan to eradicate saiyajin, episode of baddack (maybe yo son goku and his friends return) are dubbed in french it was confirmed by philippe ariotti who dub frieza and coola

No, that's a fan on a forum thinking of reasons why they'd dub these. Pretty big difference than "talk about a future release of the movies by kaze."

Edit: on that very same forum, a fan posted:
salut , je viens d envoyé un message a kaze sur Facebook et il mon répondu que les droit sur les oav ne leurs appartenait pas ...
Translation: Hi, I just sent Kazé a message on Facebook and they replied that they don't have the rights for the OVA's...

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:24 am

sangofe wrote:
genjosanzo8 wrote:No, there is no current airing... few time ago it was aired on the channel named "mangas" but no more.

No, that's a fan on a forum thinking of reasons why they'd dub these. Pretty big difference than "talk about a future release of the movies by kaze."

Edit: on that very same forum, a fan posted:
salut , je viens d envoyé un message a kaze sur Facebook et il mon répondu que les droit sur les oav ne leurs appartenait pas ...
Translation: Hi, I just sent Kazé a message on Facebook and they replied that they don't have the rights for the OVA's...
the topic talk about a future ova release i mean about the topic said not what it said i will edit my post...

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:26 am

the topic talk about a future release of the movies by kaze

DOS

Post by DOS » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:31 pm

If Kaze will not be releasing the OVAs..

Then that just leaves AB (do they still hold licence though?) or for them to be tacked onto a video game :eh:

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 pm

DOS wrote:If Kaze will not be releasing the OVAs..

Then that just leaves AB (do they still hold licence though?) or for them to be tacked onto a video game :eh:
i think there is more probability within an ova release.i hope ab will remaster movie 1 to 6 ans use their 4/3master if it is truly ab. Incorporated into the game release will increase size of the game and i don t think it so

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:03 pm

AB Groupe still holds the license to the series in most European Countries. They only outsourced the manufacturing of the new Blu-rays to KAZE.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:31 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:

AB Groupe still holds the license to the series in most European Countries. They only outsourced the manufacturing of the new Blu-rays to KAZE.
Actually, Kazé hasn't released anything of DBZ - just kai and the new movies. I doubt they have DB and DBZ rights.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:53 am

sangofe wrote:
TheBalishChannel wrote:

Actually, Kazé hasn't released anything of DBZ - just kai and the new movies. I doubt they have DB and DBZ rights.
http://anime.kaze.fr/catalogue/dragon_ball_z

dragon ball z is listed as licence in kaze website but recently mangas (who is a AB channel) have aired dragon ball z, maybe AB have only movie and ova right and only airing right for dragon ball z, it seems complicate... the last information i have heard officialy was when it was said that ab have lost french right by toei for some reason but it was 3-4 years old maybe things have change

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:10 am

Yeah, well, there's still only those two movies listed...

DOS

Post by DOS » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:36 am

genjosanzo8 wrote:it seems complicated...
Quite right, the licence for this franchise seems to be all over the place in France.

Thinking back on what I said it would appear unlikely but not impossible that they would repackage the OVAs onto a video game.

I don't know but were these two OVAs both officially subtitled in french for their respective games?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:55 pm

Can anyone post some screenshots of these dvds? If it isn't any trouble.

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:24 pm

I looked at lots of French intros and I can list them

-The first two intros for the French dub of the Original Series:

-The first intro used was clips from the Japanese version (with French Credits)
-The second intro was famous for being re-used in Canada, Hungary, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal and the UK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-French DBZ intros:

-The first intro used is clips from one of the first episodes.
-Second intro was only used in the Frieza, Cell and Buu arcs (with a different instrumental of the French DBZ theme).
-Third intro is the same but with the 1995 Remix of the original theme plays (can be heard and seen when watching the Cell and Buu arcs.)
-Fourth intro is a tribute song known as "Dragon Ball et Dragon Ball Z" (sung by Bernard Minet) and uses clips from the episodes.
-Fifth intro has a new song sung by Ariane (can only be heard in the French Dub of one of the DBZ Movies on either VHS or TV)
-Sixth intro kept the Japanese intro in PAL pitched (also can be seen on one of the movies on either VHS, DVD, Blu-ray or TV)
-Seventh intro has a new theme known as "Dragon Scatt" (Can only be seen and heard on DBZ Movies 10, 11, 12 and 13 since the intro uses episodes from the Buu arc)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-French DBGT intros:
*note: most people said "they grew up with the Japanese intro", well there's a second intro*

-First French intro of DBGT (sung by Bernard Minet) was only seen on the 1997 Broadcast (so it's actually rare and difficult to find, so here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-JrTScQ2w0 BTW, the intro's incomplete due to the person who uploaded the multilanguage video put it up for 20 seconds)

-Second French intro is already common since France kept the Japanese intro for their 1999 Broadcast of GT.

-Third French intro is the same Japanese intro but it's shortned to 1 minute [Or 30 seconds] (can be seen on the NT1 Broadcast of GT)

That's it for the list of French intros I found.

NOTE: I haven't found the 3rd GT intro from the NT1 Broadcast because there's a 30 second clip of the 1st Ending from the NT1 Broadcast which I can provide the link: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5dci

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:34 am

Does anyone have any info on the original French broadcasts and releases of the series?

I'm doing some research and here's what I've gathered so far but I'm open to corrections or amendments:

- OG Dragon Ball first aired on TF1's 'Club Dorothee' block on March 2nd 1988
- DBZ was aired on TF1 up to episode 274, being cancelled due to complaints against the violence
- DBZ ran from December 24, 1990 until November 23, 1996, and was later rerun on other channels with more censorship but achieved more success
- The first complete run of DBZ in France was the original VHS releases
- In late 2002 new DVDs were released to replace the dub-only releases
- Another set of DVDs followed in early 2010s, which included AB Groupe's complete series box sets for OG Dragon Ball, DBZ, and GT
- Only one of the three original series incomplete on home video was GT on VHS, which stopped at episode 54
- TMC aired OG Dragon Ball, DBZ and OG Dragon Ball movie 1
- Mangas picked up the series in 1999, they aired all three original series and all movies and specials
- AB1 broadcast the series in January 2001 and aired everything TMC did
- GT was to be aired on TF1 like it's predecessors but this fell through for some reason and it was shown on TMC Monte Carlo, RTL9, Mangas, MCM and Game One
- All dubs were produced by SOFI and funded by AB

Thanks to all.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:50 am

Brilliant_Gear_258 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:24 pm-First French intro of DBGT (sung by Bernard Minet) was only seen on the 1997 Broadcast (so it's actually rare and difficult to find, so here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-JrTScQ2w0 BTW, the intro's incomplete due to the person who uploaded the multilanguage video put it up for 20 seconds)
I find it pretty interesting that this particular intro has the opening credits in English with the Blue Water dub's credits font and style. Wonder if this version, with the Japanese theme, is what early Canadian airings got (supposedly Canadian airings of GT had the Japanese theme with English subtitles, but the only Canadian TV rip of this intro I know of is the same as on the Toonami UK airings of the show).
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.