Could GT look this good on Blu Ray?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Re: Could GT look this good on Blu Ray?

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:02 pm

TheatreStyleKai wrote:Possibly, but then you would have to watch Dragon Ball GT. Sounds like a lose-lose scenario.
I think all you really need to do is cut down the episodes. Cut a lot of the filler like episodes and you have an alright series.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:
TheatreStyleKai wrote:Possibly, but then you would have to watch Dragon Ball GT. Sounds like a lose-lose scenario.
I think all you really need to do is cut down the episodes. Cut a lot of the filler like episodes and you have an alright series.
Skipping episodes 3-15 makes a huge difference in it's quality.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:01 pm

sintzu wrote:
Captain Strawberry wrote:
Skipping episodes 3-15 makes a huge difference in it's quality.
In a good or bad way?
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Remember how FUNimation skipped a bunch of episodes, then marketed those episodes as some great "lost episodes?" They always did have good marketing for the franchise lol

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:In a good or bad way?
A great way, I think if GT didn't have that arc it would've been received a lot better and might've lasted longer than it did.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:22 am

There is almost 0% possibility of FUNi transferring GT in HD themselves because Toei have never provided foreign licensees with film masters when it comes to GT. At this point, upscaling their SD digital videotape footage is the sole way for them to release it in HD.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:20 pm

sintzu wrote:
Captain Strawberry wrote:In a good or bad way?
A great way, I think if GT didn't have that arc it would've been received a lot better and might've lasted longer than it did.
It still had episodes 16-64 and nothing changed. It all went to shit and got canceled.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:It still had episodes 16-64 and nothing changed. It all went to shit and got canceled.
They had a lot of problems but they were no where near as bad as those 13 I mentioned.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:14 pm

GT might have not been a critically-acclaimed hit, I enjoyed it. I was much more captivated by the characters' futures than the actual story, I guess. I was fascinated with Vegeta's family life, how Trunks and Goten changed, what became of Gohan, etc. All in all, I think GT made a logical transition in characters from when we left them in Z. On the last episode of Dragon Ball Z (Kyle Herbert voice lol), Goten and Trunks were talking about girls, Gohan wanted nothing to do with the fighting (he wasn't involved in the Tenkaichi Budokai) and was a scholar, we know hat Goku and Oob went off to train together (so it makes sense that we start GT with Oob and Goku), Pan was a spunky little girl (though she is super annoying in GT), and Vegeta was a leather-clad family guy. I liked that a lot of GT took place in urban areas instead of having fights in empty locations. Despite how minimal they were, I enjoyed seeing the Baby-Goten vs Gohan fight and the Baby-Gohan vs Vegeta fight. I enjoyed the concept of Super Saiyan 4. I liked that with Super 17, we had Cyborgs in all three series of the franchise. I really liked No. 18's interaction with Super 17. And of course, the Evil Shen Long arc was pretty nice... although the first few Shen Longs were kind of duds. Yeah, the series wasn't perfect, but I think that in theory, it was enjoyable. The music was great and it had its moments when it looked nice.

I think it would have made a pretty solid Blu-ray release.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:26 am

I want GT on Blu-Ray now, since it would look good with my dbz, movies, & tv specials. that are on blu-ray

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:37 am

I would love GT on Blu-Ray, but sadly I believe Funi only have beta masters of GT. Unlike DBZ which they have a film stock of. So unless they buy a film reel of GT or Toei remasters GT I doubt we will see it anytime soon.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:57 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:I would love GT on Blu-Ray, but sadly I believe Funi only have beta masters of GT. Unlike DBZ which they have a film stock of. So unless they buy a film reel of GT or Toei remasters GT I doubt we will see it anytime soon.
I've been going through the podcast's entire history, and not too long ago I listened to the episode where they discuss the Green Bricks. IIRC, they said that Funimation only got SD digi-beta "masters" for GT, meaning they couldn't do anything for the Green Bricks but simply re-release what they already had.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:44 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Agreed. I love all of Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:24 am

Ozotto wrote:I want GT on Blu-Ray now, since it would look good with my dbz, movies, & tv specials. that are on blu-ray
Ditto, I'd also love to see the cover art Funimation would do if GT was released on Blu-Ray. It'd be nice if each season depicted a particular action sequence like the Z sets. Granted you would only have two for GT, but I'd still like to see it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:03 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Ozotto wrote:I want GT on Blu-Ray now, since it would look good with my dbz, movies, & tv specials. that are on blu-ray
Ditto, I'd also love to see the cover art Funimation would do if GT was released on Blu-Ray. It'd be nice if each season depicted a particular action sequence like the Z sets. Granted you would only have two for GT, but I'd still like to see it.
I wouldn't want FUNimation to attempt that, though:
kei17 wrote:There is almost 0% possibility of FUNi transferring GT in HD themselves because Toei have never provided foreign licensees with film masters when it comes to GT. At this point, upscaling their SD digital videotape footage is the sole way for them to release it in HD.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:17 am

Honestly, why the hell is Toei so damn difficult? I don't get it. It's not like someone else will make money off of their property that they haven't made. Toei isn't releasing anything from Dragon Ball to GT right now. They released the Dragon Boxes and singles and that was it. So why is this stupid company so against FUNimation (and others I guess) having the masters to work with? I'm sure Toei gets a cut from whatever merchandise they sell, so I really don't understand it. It's not an "integrity" thing about how they don't want their work bastardized by the evil FUNimation because the toothpaste is already out of the tube, all of the "damage" has already been done years ago.

I just don't get it.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:14 pm

My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:44 pm

it's the same thing as saint seiya, there are dnr even if far less than the season sets, if it can only be upscale i'd rather like an upscale like dragon ball kai

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:26 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Remember how FUNimation skipped a bunch of episodes, then marketed those episodes as some great "lost episodes?" They always did have good marketing for the franchise lol
I thought the Lost Episodes marketing was really stupid. Anyone can go on Google know that they are lost and that Funimation choose to not dub the first 16 episodes of the show. With the Ultimate Uncut episodes, it made some sense to call them "Ultimate Uncut" since the Saiyan saga and the first half of the Namek saga never got a English uncut dub. It was the first time that the series was shown uncut to a bigger audience.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:06 pm

genjosanzo8 wrote:it's the same thing as saint seiya, there are dnr even if far less than the season sets, if it can only be upscale i'd rather like an upscale like dragon ball kai
You're talking about the full hd upscale from 720 p for kai?
Interesting. I did not know they did a proper remaster of Saint Seiya.