Manga / Original DB and Z animes
1. Search for the Dragon Balls (Ch. 1-23 / Eps 1-13)
2. 21st Tenkaichi Budokai (Ch. 24-54 / Eps 14-29)
3. Red Ribbon Army (Ch. 55-112 / Eps 30-78)
Filler. Goku's Solo Training (Eps 79-83)
4. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai (Ch. 113-134 / Eps 84-101)
5. Piccolo Daimao (Ch. 135-165 / Eps 102-126)
Filler. Kami's Training (Eps 127-132)
6. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai (Ch. 166-194 / Eps 133-148)
Filler. Flaming Wedding Dress (Eps 149-153)
7. Saiyan (Ch. 195-245 / Z 1-38 / Kai 1-18)
8. Freeza (Ch. 246-329 / Z 39-107 + Bardock TV Special / Kai 19-54)
Filler. Garlic Jr. (Z 108-117)
9. Cell (Ch. 330-420 + Trunks the Story / Z 118-194 + Trunks TV Special / Kai 55-98)
Filler. Anoyoichi Budokai (Z 195-199)
10. Majin Buu (Ch. 421-519 / Z 200-291 / Kai 99-159)
I really don't give a shit about GT so I'll move on to Super.
1. Beerus (BOG / 1-14)
Mini-arc #1. Training with Whis (15-18)
2. Golden Freeza (FnF / 19-27)
3. Champa (28-41)
Mini-arc #2. Monaka (42-46)
4. Future Trunks (47-??)
I believe some explanations are in order.
*I suppose one could group the Search for DBs and 21st TB arcs into a singular "Son Goku arc" but I don't like doing that as both arcs have different objectives, tones, and character usage. I also despise it when they try to group the beginning to the 22nd TB together as the "Boyhood arc". It's just grouping together a huge chuck of the story for no other reason than laziness.
*You may have noticed I moved the 21st TB - RRA split over by one episode. I do this for three reasons.
- 1. Ep 29 contains the last five pages of manga chapter 54
2. The Red Ribbon Army isn't even in this episode
3. The episodes focuses on two participants from the 21st TB and continues a plot-point from said arc.
*I group Uranai Baba into the RRA arc since collectively they make up the 2nd Search for the Dragon Balls.
*I always try to separate pure filler arcs into there own thing.
*Ever since the colored manga came out I've moved the Saiyan-Freeza split from 241/242 to 245/246 and adjusted the splits in Z and Kai accordingly which makes so much more sense since there's a time skip of 2 months between the two. Ending the Saiyan arc on Ch. 241 is dumb because it just ends with Roshi waving and continues immediately into the next chapter. 242 is dumber because it ends mid-way through Goku trying to contact Kaio.
*Splitting Namek and Freeza is dumb because everything on Namek is about Freeza and neither half is a complete story by itself. Same logic for not splitting Android and Cell and I don't like calling the whole arc the Android arc because that would imply any android but Cell does anything of significance. Spoiler alert: they don't.
*The logic behind my splits for Super lies in whose shadow appears on the title card (or lack thereof for 15-18).