Dragon Ball's story arcs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball's story arcs

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:15 pm

ABED wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:It doesn't have to be, but traditionally, that is what it was going for. That's why they later made modified charts for more modern stories depicting a much sharper downward slant with a much smaller space for falling action.
What story has the climax in the middle of the story? Falling action and resolutions can differ in length, but in what way is it compelling to have the most dramatic and important part happen in the middle of the story?
Shakespeare, fairly often. I'm pretty sure that's where the whole "Climax is in the middle" thing came from.

Take Julius Caesar, for instance. Caesar's assassination is the climax, and it occurs in the third act.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:It doesn't have to be, but traditionally, that is what it was going for. That's why they later made modified charts for more modern stories depicting a much sharper downward slant with a much smaller space for falling action.
What story has the climax in the middle of the story? Falling action and resolutions can differ in length, but in what way is it compelling to have the most dramatic and important part happen in the middle of the story?
Shakespeare, fairly often. I'm pretty sure that's where the whole "Climax is in the middle" thing came from.

Take Julius Caesar, for instance. Caesar's assassination is the climax, and it occurs in the third act.
Caesar's death isn't the climax. The story isn't as much about his fate as it is the conspirator's fate. It builds until Brutus kills himself. Caesar isn't the main character. If I recall, he's not in the story all that much.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:21 pm

ABED wrote: Caesar's death isn't the climax. The story isn't as much about his fate as it is the conspirator's fate. It builds until Brutus kills himself. Caesar isn't the main character. If I recall, he's not in the story all that much.
Caesar's death and Antony's speech is the climax, and occurs in the third act, out of a five act play. It is the irrevocable turning point in the story. That's what a climax is.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:25 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
ABED wrote: Caesar's death isn't the climax. The story isn't as much about his fate as it is the conspirator's fate. It builds until Brutus kills himself. Caesar isn't the main character. If I recall, he's not in the story all that much.
Caesar's death and Antony's speech is the climax, and occurs in the third act, out of a five act play. It is the irrevocable turning point in the story. That's what a climax is.
I've heard the climax called the turning point, but when you think of climax, it's the highest point where everything has been building to. The turning point is just a complication for the main character(s).
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:27 pm

ABED wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
I've heard the climax called the turning point, but when you think of climax, it's the highest point where everything has been building to. The turning point is just a complication for the main character(s).
You've heard it called that, because that's what the climax is. It's the culmination of the rising action, and the starting point of the falling action and resolution.

I'm not normally this pedantic, but when you're arguing literary terminology, then you should be using it correctly. The climax is the major turning point; it's not necessarily the big fight at the end.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:33 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:You've heard it called that, because that's what the climax is. It's the culmination of the rising action, and the starting point of the falling action and resolution.

I'm not normally this pedantic, but when you're arguing literary terminology, then you should be using it correctly. The climax is the major turning point; it's not necessarily the big fight at the end.
That's one school of thought and it pertains to five act stories. In three act stories, the climax is towards the end. There's a reason that orgasms are also called "climaxing". Not to be gross, but it is what everything is building towards. Julius Caesar isn't building towards the death of a secondary character. It's building towards the confrontation between Brutus and Antony.

I'm not referring to a big fight, but a climax is the point to which the story is building. It's the highest point and where the big story threads are ultimately resolved.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:14 pm

Splitting RRA and Baba is just as silly as splitting "Namek & Freeza" and "A.Humans & Cell". It's clearly one arc, the second Dragon Ball hunt, with RRA being the main enemy and reason for Goku to finish the hunt.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:25 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:Splitting RRA and Baba is just as silly as splitting "Namek & Freeza" and "A.Humans & Cell". It's clearly one arc, the second Dragon Ball hunt, with RRA being the main enemy and reason for Goku to finish the hunt.
It's not the same because defeating the Red Ribbon Army is a complete arc. I think of it as an arc within an arc, much in the same way I view the first 5 seasonal arcs of Supernatural to be individual and complete arcs, but at the same time part of a larger arc.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:34 pm

ABED wrote: It's not the same because defeating the Red Ribbon Army is a complete arc.
I wouldn´t say that, the Red Ribbon Army begins due to Goku looking for the 4 star Dragon Ball, Goku reuniting with his gradfather Son Gohan is a more appropiate closure due to how the Arc began, rather than defeating an army.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:40 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
ABED wrote: It's not the same because defeating the Red Ribbon Army is a complete arc.
I wouldn´t say that, the Red Ribbon Army begins due to Goku looking for the 4 star Dragon Ball, Goku reuniting with his gradfather Son Gohan is a more appropiate closure due to how the Arc began, rather than defeating an army.
I get your point but what I was saying that the destruction of the Red Ribbon Army is the definitive end of that story arc much in the same way Vegeta's epiphany at the end of the series is the end of his arc. Yes, the quest for the 4 star ball is Goku's goal and what brings him into conflict with the Red Ribbon Army, but his reunion with his grandfather isn't tied to the RRA except tangentially. I know this is a semantic argument, but if we don't break it down and just call it all one arc, then The Red Ribbon Army Arc" wouldn't be my choice.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:49 pm

It's 1 arc, like the previous 2, it has clear beginning and ending: Goku goes on the hunt - Goku finishes the hunt and begins the training for the next Budokai. RRA is present in 3/4 of the arc and last part happens because of them. And Goku decides to collect DBs before he destroys them all, so it's stupid to end the arc there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:It's 1 arc, like the previous 2, it has clear beginning and ending: Goku goes on the hunt - Goku finishes the hunt and begins the training for the next Budokai. RRA is present in 3/4 of the arc and last part happens because of them. And Goku decides to collect DBs before he destroys them all, so it's stupid to end the arc there.
I KNOW! But there are also arcs within arcs. And it's ridiculous to consider it all the Red Ribbon arc because they have nothing to do with Baba's Tournament. The Red Ribbon Army story thread has been resolved. The only thing that hasn't been resolved is the last Dragon Ball, but Baba's Tournament isn't the falling action, it has it's own climax. The thing that ties the arc together is the search for the Dragon Balls, not The Red Ribbon Army.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:04 pm

I don't know about arcs within arcs, but i know there are 10 just arcs and RRA is one of them, third, after 21st TB and before 22nd. And RRA is the main enemy and reason for hunt to end.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:I don't know about arcs within arcs, but i know there are 10 just arcs and RRA is one of them, third, after 21st TB and before 22nd. And RRA is the main enemy and reason for hunt to end.
Why do you keep bringing up "there are 10 arc" like that is some predetermined unchangable number. The RRA is a big antagonist, but it's not the reason the DB hunt began and if the arc is about them, then their destruction is the climax which is where all the threads are concluded, but it's not. There's Baba's tournament. If you think there are only 10 arcs, then name it something other than the Red Ribbon Army. And what don't you know about arcs within arcs?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:04 pm

ABED wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:I don't know about arcs within arcs, but i know there are 10 just arcs and RRA is one of them, third, after 21st TB and before 22nd. And RRA is the main enemy and reason for hunt to end.
Why do you keep bringing up "there are 10 arc" like that is some predetermined unchangable number. The RRA is a big antagonist, but it's not the reason the DB hunt began and if the arc is about them, then their destruction is the climax which is where all the threads are concluded, but it's not. There's Baba's tournament. If you think there are only 10 arcs, then name it something other than the Red Ribbon Army. And what don't you know about arcs within arcs?
Digest manga so far:
Volume 1 - Hunt for the DBs arc (1-23)
2 - 21st TB arc (24-54)
3 - RRA arc part 1 (55-83)
4 - RRA arc part 2 (84-112)
5- 22nd TB arc
So far, so good!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
ABED wrote:
Digest manga so far:
Volume 1 - Hunt for the DBs arc (1-23)
2 - 21st TB arc (24-54)
3 - RRA arc part 1 (55-83)
4 - RRA arc part 2 (84-112)
5- 22nd TB arc
So far, so good!
That's appeal to authority.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:08 pm

Because most of the fans agree it's 1 arc and now this official thing too? I don't know, man... Yet you still keep resisting :D

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:12 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:Because most of the fans agree it's 1 arc and now this official thing too? I don't know, man... Yet you still keep resisting :D
1 - You keep wrongly claiming that I don't think it's one arc, and 2 - you keep using appeal to authority. It doesn't matter what the official guides say, they can be wrong.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:14 pm

ABED wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:Because most of the fans agree it's 1 arc and now this official thing too? I don't know, man... Yet you still keep resisting :D
1 - You keep wrongly claiming that I don't think it's one arc, and 2 - you keep using appeal to authority. It doesn't matter what the official guides say, they can be wrong.
Of course they can, but this the first time manga was officialy properly divided and so far it's hunt-21-rra-22.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:19 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
ABED wrote:
Of course they can, but this the first time manga was officialy properly divided and so far it's hunt-21-rra-22.
It's perfectly reasonable to disagree with that breakdown.