Japanese Dragon Box!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TLM Reviews

Japanese Dragon Box!!

Post by TLM Reviews » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:52 pm

I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box but it would be missing one disc. The price is relatively cheap and I just want to hear what you guys think of this? :roll:

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Japanese Dragon Box!!

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:57 pm

TLM Reviews wrote:I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box but it would be missing one disc. The price is relatively cheap and I just want to hear what you guys think of this? :roll:
depends how important that missing disc is to you, and how you would source the missing disc?

personally missing disc - no sale no matter the price. replacing it with a DVD-R would make the set even more worthless.

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:00 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
TLM Reviews wrote:I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box but it would be missing one disc. The price is relatively cheap and I just want to hear what you guys think of this? :roll:
depends how important that missing disc is to you, and how you would source the missing disc?

personally missing disc - no sale no matter the price. replacing it with a DVD-R would make the set even more worthless.

I forgot to also mention this, but the listing has both Box 1 and 2. Dragon Box 1 is in perfect condition, however the only problem is, is that disc that is missing in Dragon Box 2. Other than that the price is around $150

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:05 pm

I bought a Dragon Ball Dragon Box with a missing disc, but the seller replaced the missing disc with its Japanese singles counterpart. In this case, are you sure the disc is completely missing with no substitute? It's really up to you.It would drive me nuts. I'd probably go out of my way and get the corresponding FUNimation Dragon Box just so I'm not missing any episodes. The price is damned nice; better than most of the FUNimation Dragon Box releases.

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Post by thejeremymenace » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:13 pm

My copy of Dragon Box 2 has a disc too scratched to play; I did what TheGreatness did and bought the single replacement for it. It was worth it -- you get the nice box, and a complete set of working discs.
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:16 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I bought a Dragon Ball Dragon Box with a missing disc, but the seller replaced the missing disc with its Japanese singles counterpart. In this case, are you sure the disc is completely missing with no substitute? It's really up to you.It would drive me nuts. I'd probably go out of my way and get the corresponding FUNimation Dragon Box just so I'm not missing any episodes. The price is damned nice; better than most of the FUNimation Dragon Box releases.
I already have the completed funimation dragon boxes, so I guess I could use that. Or I could get the Japanese single counterparts??

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:17 pm

thejeremymenace wrote:My copy of Dragon Box 2 has a disc too scratched to play; I did what TheGreatness did and bought the single replacement for it. It was worth it -- you get the nice box, and a complete set of working discs.
Ok cool I might decide to do that instead. Lets just hope I can get these boxes first, than worry about the disc later. And the disc that is missing is number 10 in the second Dragon Box with Videl on the back of the disc

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:18 pm

Sure, it's possible if you are able to find it. In my case, when the seller substituted the missing disc, it looked to be the same quality and covered the exact same episode that the missing Dragon Box disc would cover. It just had a different menu layout. Personally, that's good with me, but some people are very particular about having an "imperfect set." I would also normally be pretty anal about that, but at the time, that was the only Dragon Ball Dragon Box that I found, so I was kind of desperate to get it. But still, no regrets.

I would imagine that finding those Japanese singles would be pretty hard, though.

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Post by thejeremymenace » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 pm

^^ The singles are actually widely available on Amazon Japan.
デデーン

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:48 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Sure, it's possible if you are able to find it. In my case, when the seller substituted the missing disc, it looked to be the same quality and covered the exact same episode that the missing Dragon Box disc would cover. It just had a different menu layout. Personally, that's good with me, but some people are very particular about having an "imperfect set." I would also normally be pretty anal about that, but at the time, that was the only Dragon Ball Dragon Box that I found, so I was kind of desperate to get it. But still, no regrets.

I would imagine that finding those Japanese singles would be pretty hard, though.
I pretty sure that CDJapan has the singles still, not sure though. The bid ends tomorrow so if the price is not with in my range of money then I guess I will have to pass on the sets. Also what DVD player do you use for watching the Japanese DVD's?? If I do end up getting one of the Dragon Boxes I would like to watch them lol

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Oh really? I never visited Amazon Japan. That sounds pretty good. I was warned about crazy importing fees and tax and whatnot. I only really used eBay. If it's very commonly found on Amazon Japan and you can afford it and everything, then I'd definitely do it. Even if the disc comes out to $100, that still makes the Dragon Box worth it, at least in my opinion.

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Post by thejeremymenace » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Amazon JP's shipping is a lot less than it used to be. You can get 2-day international shipping for about $10
デデーン

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:57 pm

That's pretty awesome. I'd say go for it if it's within your price range and you can get the corresponding single disc.

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Post by thejeremymenace » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:19 am

I should clarify: that type of shipping is available from Amazon. Third-party sellers may have different rates, or may not ship internationally at all.
デデーン

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:52 am

Well the price for both boxes went up so high to which I can't afford, I guess I will have to wait for next time. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:15 am

I'm not sure what your price range is and I might be misinterpreting, but what about this?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/DRAGON-%E3%83%8 ... gon+ball+z

I believe that it costs $239.94 and if I see the correct translation, that should be all of them.