Why do they seem to be pushing Mai x Trunks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Why do they seem to be pushing Mai x Trunks?

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:07 pm

It started off as a gag in BOG, but with the recent arc with Future Trunks, it seems like it's something that either Toriyama or Toei are trying to push. It just makes me wonder, why? Is this all just based on that one gag from Battle of Gods? If so, that's actually kind of creepy when you take into account the fact that Mai is technically an adult...

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why do they seem to be pushing Mai x Trunks?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm pretty sure Toriyama created that as a gag. Toei made it a serious thing for this arc. I'm almost positive that was their idea, not Toriyama's.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:17 pm

What's wrong with it? I mean, I kinda get the complaints with Mai x kid Trunks, considering Mai's mental age, but 1. this is an anime, and 2. it's not like she's very mature to begin with. Mai x Future Trunks should be no problem whatsoever, they're both old enough to do whatever they want.
fadeddreams5 wrote:I'm pretty sure Toriyama created that as a gag. Toei made it a serious thing for this arc. I'm almost positive that was their idea, not Toriyama's.
I'm sure it was Toriyama's idea, considering Toei completely scrapped the MaixTrunks relationship in the retellings, I doubt they'd be so inconsistent, even for Toei's standards, to just bring it back like that. Toriyama also wrote a comment by Mai in F saying Trunks was her boyfriend, so it's not like he only used it as a gag in BoG and then never touched upon it again.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:25 pm

I didn't know he pushed for that in F. I can imagine Toei not liking the gag, but liking the idea of an actual relationship. Just seems more up their alley.

I don't have anything against the relationship, myself. It is, however, the most random pairing in DB. And this is the series where BulmaxVegeta became a thing.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:32 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I don't have anything against the relationship, myself. It is, however, the most random pairing in DB. And this is the series where BulmaxVegeta became a thing.
At least we got to see the relationship somewhat developing with Trunks and Mai meeting in BoG and then bonding throughout the film. With Bulma and Vegeta, they're enemies at one point, then you have a time-skip and they suddenly have a kid. You didn't get any of the bonding.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:37 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I didn't know he pushed for that in F. I can imagine Toei not liking the gag, but liking the idea of an actual relationship. Just seems more up their alley.
I guess considering that they seemed to have no problem sexualizing a 10 year old in GT, you might be onto something...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:39 pm

It's fiction. Otaku like lolicon and shoutacon. Trunks x Mai is as random and unexpected as Vegeta x Blooma. Combine all three and you get something to write a new story about.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:09 am

I love Future Trunks x Future Mai, because it shows that Trunks found some sort of happiness after defeating the Androids. Yeah, he had Bulma, but he had no friends and Gohan was dead, so there was definitely a lot missing from his life socially. Him getting a girlfriend that loves him back, from what I can tell, makes me smile.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:25 am

Because Future Trunks never ended up with someone and I guess somebody decided that was something that could be rectified.

I'm interested to see if/how this arc handles romance. It's something the series doesn't do very often.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:24 am

From what little I saw, I like Future Trunks and Future Mai a lot more than I do Kid Trunks and Kid Mai. The former meshes better personality-wise imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:13 am

Future Mai seems like she is a 60 year old in a 30 year old body. It may be odd that a 60 year old being with a 30 year old, but they are both 18 and above. It's better than 20 something GT Trunks shipping with a 9 year old girl (Pan).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:27 am

Because Mai has discovered the fountain of youth and looks younger at ~50 than she did at ~20. Meanwhile Trunks ages super slow and looks the same at ~13-14 as he did when he was 8. Even though when future Trunks was that age he looked, you know, that age.
JulieYBM wrote:It's fiction. Otaku like lolicon and shoutacon.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:30 am

Because that totally isn't generalizing. Nope, not one bit!
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:17 am

Push? it's been one episode... and she died.

Should be in the Super discussion subforum.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:10 am

It's probably the only relationship that makes sense in the whole series. Just from this episode when they interact you can see that they both have affection for each other.
When Trunks and Mai interact I can believe that they could be in a relationship or at least have genuine affection for each other, like the scene where they are about to leave for capsule corp it's a tense scene but for second it is broken by the cat meowing past them which eases the tension and for a second they look at each other and you can see that maybe if things were not so messed up they would probably be together. The way Trunks reacts when she "dies"( come on, she's going to have major role in this arc) just emphasises how much she means to him.
Anyone who believes the GokuXChiChi or VegetaXBulma makes more sense is either too young or knows nothing about relationships.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:38 am

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:It's probably the only relationship that makes sense in the whole series. Just from this episode when they interact you can see that they both have affection for each other.
When Trunks and Mai interact I can believe that they could be in a relationship or at least have genuine affection for each other, like the scene where they are about to leave for capsule corp it's a tense scene but for second it is broken by the cat meowing past them which eases the tension and for a second they look at each other and you can see that maybe if things were not so messed up they would probably be together. The way Trunks reacts when she "dies"( come on, she's going to have major role in this arc) just emphasises how much she means to him.
Anyone who believes the GokuXChiChi or VegetaXBulma makes more sense is either too young or knows nothing about relationships.
GohanxVidel?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:30 am

Miyazaki is a lolicon, he's just too stuck in his old ways to admit it. He only became an animator because he fell in love with a two dimensional girl as a teenager. Now he repeats the trauma.
Gonstead wrote:
Because that totally isn't generalizing. Nope, not one bit!
You haven't taken a look at the Japanese comics and animation sub-culture for the last forty years, have you?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:17 am

I wouldn't say 'pushed' it, so much as it seems like that might actually be the endgame so they're realizing 'well crap, we'd better try to pseudo-develop it a bit actually'. At least, I hope that's the case, because I find the pairing to be adorable.

I mean, I kinda sorta see the issue with them in the main timeline, but 1) it's fictional, nowhere near the same thing as if it was happening in reality, and 2) Mai and the Pilaf gang have always been portrayed as being very childish more than being like adults, so that removes quite a bit of the 'ick' factor for me as well. With the future versions of the character though? Trunks is an adult at that point. Thus, I don't care if he wanted to hook up with Mai and Mai was actually physically 80 something. They're both beyond the age of consent, and thus no matter how it looks to the outside world, they would be well within their right to live their lives however they see fit. Just how I see it at any rate.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:42 am

I see it as entirely possible that the Pilaf gang are mentally children as well, despite having all their memories. They wished for youth, but this may have been a mental transformation as well as a physical one. Not that they were particularly matured mentally to begin with.

As for her age in the Future Timeline.... are people assuming the same wish wasn't made in that timeline? They may have simply made it at a different time, before Piccolo was killed.... meaning she may be physically about seven years older than Trunks.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:55 am

WittyUsername wrote:It started off as a gag in BOG.
Like how Vegeta acting OOC went from a one time thing to save his family to him acting like that all the time.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.