*sigh* Can someone just like...give me their Dragon Boxes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: *sigh* Can someone just like...give me their Dragon Boxe

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:52 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:For a casual fan that liked DBZ as a kid, sure, why not pick up the $35 DVD as opposed to $70 (the Dragon Boxes' original price).
$70 was the Dragon Boxes' MSRP, but like with most things you could EASILY get them for way, way less than MSRP during the window of time where they were still in stock and readily available. I got all 7 of them on release, and I never paid more than $25 to $30 for each of them at most.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:57 pm

IMO the Japanese Dragon Boxes are really worth the money. You get extras, better video quality and (I think) no out of sync audio tracks unless the tracks are out of sync on both releases. Only problem is no subs...
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:06 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:For a casual fan that liked DBZ as a kid, sure, why not pick up the $35 DVD as opposed to $70 (the Dragon Boxes' original price).
$70 was the Dragon Boxes' MSRP, but like with most things you could EASILY get them for way, way less than MSRP during the window of time where they were still in stock and readily available. I got all 7 of them on release, and I never paid more than $25 to $30 for each of them at most.
Again, for the casual fan, they're not searching for these things. They walk into a Best Buy and see the DVDs. They see the MSRP priced Dragon Box next to the Season Set. I think that clearly, they had their reason for discontinuing the Dragon Boxes; no company passes up money.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:42 am

gogeta97 wrote:IMO the Japanese Dragon Boxes are really worth the money. You get extras, better video quality and (I think) no out of sync audio tracks unless the tracks are out of sync on both releases. Only problem is no subs...
Yeah but no subs is the deal breaker for me. Also I can only ever find the Japanese version for like $14,000 on eBay

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:43 am

gogeta97 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:higher quality Japanese audio track.

Is that true? I know they're better then the Orange Bricks, but I've heard Funimation's Blu-rays have the best audio on any official release so far.
It's pretty negligible, honestly. Yes, the audio is better on the Dragon Boxes than the orange bricks, but not enough for me to exactly call that a selling point. It still sounds like shit.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:40 am

gogeta97 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:higher quality Japanese audio track.

Is that true? I know they're better then the Orange Bricks, but I've heard Funimation's Blu-rays have the best audio on any official release so far.
No the Japanese Audio is definitely still better on the Dragon Boxes if only slightly.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:26 am

Is it possible that Toei only allowed FUNimation to use the Dragon Box footage for a certain period of time or for a certain amount of releases? They're an extremely strange company. Even on Hulu and FUNimation's streaming service, the Dragon Ball Z footage is the Season Sets'... actually, it looks even worse. I am not sure who sets those guidelines, but it's odd that the "definitive" version of the show for FUNimation is from those Season Sets.

I would have been fine getting just the US Dragon Boxes -- more than fine considering the subtitles -- but knowing that Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball GT, and the movies didn't have a U.S. Dragon Box release drove me a little nuts, so I got those. Then it was awkward not having the Japanese Z Dragon Boxes, so I got those. Took me a while, but I have my way of watching them and knowing what they're saying, so in the very least, that's good.

The Dragon Boxes certainly make me feel like I'm really watching the series more than the other releases; don't really know why.

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Is it possible that Toei only allowed FUNimation to use the Dragon Box footage for a certain period of time or for a certain amount of releases? They're an extremely strange company.
Maybe it had something to do with Kai launching around the same time. Like Toei was so convinced that it would be the new cashmaker that they where more inclined to let Funimation license there "obsolete" Z masters. And when Kai didn't turn out to be the new big thing, they became more protective of the Z brand again.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:01 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:
Again, for the casual fan, they're not searching for these things. They walk into a Best Buy and see the DVDs. They see the MSRP priced Dragon Box next to the Season Set. I think that clearly, they had their reason for discontinuing the Dragon Boxes; no company passes up money.
I see your point, but whenever I walk into a Best Buy and see something I want, the first thing I do is see if it is cheaper online. "Hardcore" fan or not, I think most people are just as cautious.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:06 pm

I would assume so, of course. I know that I do that with everything. But these stores are still in business, so I'm assuming that not everyone is like that.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:07 pm

DBZfan29 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Again, for the casual fan, they're not searching for these things. They walk into a Best Buy and see the DVDs. They see the MSRP priced Dragon Box next to the Season Set. I think that clearly, they had their reason for discontinuing the Dragon Boxes; no company passes up money.
I see your point, but whenever I walk into a Best Buy and see something I want, the first thing I do is see if it is cheaper online. "Hardcore" fan or not, I think most people are just as cautious.
Not everyone is that tech-savvy (even more so back during the Dragon Boxes' release five years ago). People see DBZ on the shelves, they see that the orange boxes are cheaper than the yellow ones, so they go for the orange boxes, thinking they've gotten quite a deal on the show they love.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:26 pm

From what I can tell the cancelled level sets are at least a good contender for the Dragonbox. If they hadn't been cancelled the Dragonboxes might not be in such high demand. But instead we're stuck with grain removal and cropping as the only release of DBZ on the market.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:12 pm

ringworm128 wrote:From what I can tell the cancelled level sets are at least a good contender for the Dragonbox. If they hadn't been cancelled the Dragonboxes might not be in such high demand. But instead we're stuck with grain removal and cropping as the only release of DBZ on the market.
Yeah most people I have heard consider the Level sets better than the Dragon Boxes. I so wish they finished those

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Forte224 wrote:Yeah most people I have heard consider the Level sets better than the Dragon Boxes. I so wish they finished those
The only thing the Level sets have over the Dragon Box is the 1080p resolution and the better, albeit a bit too dark, colors. Things like no Japanese title cards and no NEPs definitely put them below the DBoxes imo. Plus the Dragon Boxes come from the original film negatives and aren't a copy of a copy.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:14 pm

I really wish FUNi would give us a Dragon Ball Dragon Box already....

DreamedArtist

Post by DreamedArtist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:00 pm

In my city there is a small comic shop that sells anime and a few years back I seen the whole Dragon box collection the yellow brick set for 500 flat and I was like FUCK I need money and have no job. now I have a job and money and that set is long gone... so I had to get the new blu ray set cropped :/ but still dig it. I am looking to getting this set as well, How much better is it besides the crop?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:45 pm

gogeta97 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Yeah most people I have heard consider the Level sets better than the Dragon Boxes. I so wish they finished those
The only thing the Level sets have over the Dragon Box is the 1080p resolution and the better, albeit a bit too dark, colors. Things like no Japanese title cards and no NEPs definitely put them below the DBoxes imo. Plus the Dragon Boxes come from the original film negatives and aren't a copy of a copy.
Forgive me admins and mods if what I am about to discuss is illegal, but I can't think of a better comparison at the moment...

To compare with Star Wars, the Dragon Boxes (both Toei and Funi) are to the Level sets as the 1993 transfer used for the Definitive Collection LDs, '95 "Faces" LDs, and the 2006 "GOUT" DVD are to the ******** 35mm scans. The Dragon Boxes and the 1993 transfer for the Star Wars Trilogy are standard definition, but (AFAIK) each uses the lowest generation source possible, bringing the best and most complete (in frames) image quality possible (heavy DVNR on the 93 Star Wars transfer aside :roll:). The Level Sets and the ******** 35mm Star Wars scans, on the other hand, have the advantage of being in full HD, bringing with it beauty that wasn't possible before. However, the sources used are several generations away from the original source, meaning loss of detail and frames.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:58 pm

I feel your pain man, I was looking for a job after school when they were released and it was like the only release I really ever wanted.
But after I've finally settled, the first two boxes were for rudiculous prices already, so I passed on that.

So I've said to myself, fuck that, and got the US Z boxes the illegal way. I don't think that any set is worth like 700 dollars. Even I've got 10 years old goddamn DC TAS series on one set per 100 dollars max.
Yeah, can't shovel them into my shelf to gaze upon their awesomeness or go trough the booklets, but whatever.
But I don't encourage anything here

I've just started in third job since then, pushing my carrier higher, so I hope nothing cool comes out until I settle in few months :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Forgive me admins and mods if what I am about to discuss is illegal, but I can't think of a better comparison at the moment...

To compare with Star Wars, the Dragon Boxes (both Toei and Funi) are to the Level sets as the 1993 transfer used for the Definitive Collection LDs, '95 "Faces" LDs, and the 2006 "GOUT" DVD are to the ******** 35mm scans. The Dragon Boxes and the 1993 transfer for the Star Wars Trilogy are standard definition, but (AFAIK) each uses the lowest generation source possible, bringing the best and most complete (in frames) image quality possible (heavy DVNR on the 93 Star Wars transfer aside :roll:). The Level Sets and the ******** 35mm Star Wars scans, on the other hand, have the advantage of being in full HD, bringing with it beauty that wasn't possible before. However, the sources used are several generations away from the original source, meaning loss of detail and frames.
That's pretty much what I said in my initial post just phrased differently.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:37 am

DreamedArtist wrote:In my city there is a small comic shop that sells anime and a few years back I seen the whole Dragon box collection the yellow brick set for 500 flat and I was like FUCK I need money and have no job. now I have a job and money and that set is long gone... so I had to get the new blu ray set cropped :/ but still dig it. I am looking to getting this set as well, How much better is it besides the crop?
Please don't call them Yellow Bricks. That's just disrespectful.