DBS ep. 47 - subtle jab at the fanbase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

DBS ep. 47 - subtle jab at the fanbase?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:29 pm

I noticed this line when watching the episode:

Considering how many fans seem to be obsessed with power level debates and such, you could easily substitute 'Dragonball fans' for 'Saiyans' in Whis' comment here. Do you think this was intentional, as a way of saying that the fans are often too obsessed with relative power levels and fighting strength/consistency?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Re: DBS ep. 47 - subtle jab at the fanbase?

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Do you think this was intentional, as a way of saying that the fans are often too obsessed with relative power levels and fighting strength/consistency?
I like to think so, yes.
I'll never understand obsession with power levels, i fucking hate that.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Quite frankly though, I feel like Toriyama pretty much brought that upon himself. Like, I know I've mentioned before how I found the fights in the Universe 6 tournament to be a breath of fresh air, because despite some shoddy animation, they actually included some genuine strategy. Like, oh look, it's a guy who's immune to physical damage! And here's one who can sap your strength completely with the prick of a tiny needle! Oh and there's this robot guy who's just all sorts of crazy! None of them were anywhere near as strong as Goku and Vegeta, yet they still managed to give them a tough time...

Before that arc, when was the last time we had an enemy whose threat-level wasn't established purely by "THIS GUY IS FREAKISHLY STRONG AND CAN, LIKE, BLOW UP MOUNTAINS WITH THE FLICK OF A FINGER!!!"? I guess maybe #19, but even he was also freakishly strong in addition to his energy-absorbtion. So with that said... how else are the fans supposed to measure the importance of a character? For better or worse, "Importance = How hard you can punch someone" has been how DB has worked for decades.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:10 pm

It also helps that people in the fandom were LITERALLY judging the Omni-King by his fighting ability after he was revealed. The assumption in this series is "if someone's scared of you, that must mean you can punch even harder than them".
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:24 pm

It's not altogether true or false to say there wasn't strategy beyond who can punch harder than whom after a certain point in the series.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:27 pm

It is a subtle take that, isn't it? I approve. :clap:

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 pm

The Spanish subtitle went a little different than that (Pretty much said something else)

" Wanting to value (Or Giving value to) something just by its strength, it's a bad habit of the Saiyans"

So, which one is accurate? Herms? Help?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:18 pm

successoroffate wrote:The Spanish subtitle went a little different than that (Pretty much said something else)

" Wanting to value (Or Giving value to) something just by its strength, it's a bad habit of the Saiyans"

The original line is that the Saiyans have a bad habit of judging people based only on their strength (judging in the sense of determining their value), so the Spanish subs are closer here.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Herms wrote:
successoroffate wrote:The Spanish subtitle went a little different than that (Pretty much said something else)

The original line is that the Saiyans have a bad habit of judging people based only on their strength (judging in the sense of determining their value), so the Spanish subs are closer here.
Thank you.
-----
-----

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Spend most of your life ruled by another, watch your race dwindle to a handful...and then tell me what has more meaning than your own strength.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:25 pm

Herms wrote:

DragonTeam worded it that way too, IIRC. the screen capture is one of those bad speedsubbers.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:01 am

Araki wrote:
Herms wrote:

DragonTeam worded it that way too, IIRC. the screen capture is one of those bad speedsubbers.
This was done by Ken Xyro and hes not bad.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:19 am

Ozotto wrote:Spend most of your life ruled by another, watch your race dwindle to a handful...and then tell me what has more meaning than your own strength.
I actually read that subconsciously in Sabat's voice. :thumbup:

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:49 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Araki wrote:
Herms wrote: The original line is that the Saiyans have a bad habit of judging people based only on their strength (judging in the sense of determining their value), so the Spanish subs are closer here.
Except he clearly is, considering the large amount of mistranslations that came from him...
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:36 am

My question to you is, since you seem to think highly of this guy: how well do you know Japanese?

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:32 pm

That's the main reason why I brought it up, if it was innacurate then it means that it wasn't a subtle jab at the fan base and it was just lost in translation.
-----
-----

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Puto wrote: Except he clearly is, considering the large amount of mistranslations that came from him...
What mistranslations, 13th Universe one? That wasnt Ken, I didnt see any line from that one thread that came from Ken, hes not one of those fansubbers.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:24 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:What mistranslations, 13th Universe one? That wasnt Ken, I didnt see any line from that one thread that came from Ken, hes not one of those fansubbers.
His biggest ones were during the Resurrection 'F' arc where he conjured up a ridiculous story about a civil war.

He's not a good translator. Not by a long shot. He produces subtitles that on the surface might read like they have the gist of things, but when looked at properly, they're saying very different things from what's actually correct. Not too dissimilar from FUNimation's dub, in fact.

I'm always baffled at people who watch his work in the first place, but I can at least understand the viewpoint that he's first, and sometimes folks want a vague idea before checking out Dragon Team for the full picture. I can't fathom your viewpoint that he's somehow remotely good. I'm surprised to hear such things coming from you considering you seem to be all about accuracy and respect for the original work.

He's absolutely one of those fansubbers.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:49 pm

He's not one of those fansubbers. I've been watching him for the past 17 episodes or so, and everything fits with Herms' summaries/comments.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:58 pm

As I said, he's like FUNimation's dub. You are going to get the gist of the story, but the errors all add up to quite a different picture of what's actually being said. You can put your fingers in your ears and pretend that's not the case, but it doesn't change the facts.

There's a good reason why the Dragon Ball subreddit doesn't recommend him, and why Herms made a point to push groups like Dragon Team over his work.

I've seen the fallout of his fuck ups from day one. The fact that he now has Herms' tweets to go by do not change the fact that he gets even the most basic of things wrong at times.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.