DBS ep. 47 - subtle jab at the fanbase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Re: DBS ep. 47 - subtle jab at the fanbase?

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:02 pm

I haven't seen anything wrong with his subs. And there is also the thing that Super isn't really complicated and i don't care THAT much to see 100% correct subs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:05 pm

You've been presented twice now with concrete examples of glaring mistakes, and you continue to respond that YOU don't see anything wrong with them. That's a pretty big disconnect going on. Quite frankly, it seems very much like the FUNimation mistakes you're so constantly ragging on, and that makes this all very strange. Why is it that you're retreating on the issue?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You've been presented twice now with concrete examples of glaring mistakes, and you continue to respond that YOU don't see anything wrong with them. That's a pretty big disconnect going on. Quite frankly, it seems very much like the FUNimation mistakes you're so constantly ragging on, and that makes this all very strange. Why is it that you're retreating on the issue?
Super isn't complicated at all, and i don't care that much to see 100% correct subs.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:12 pm

The translation issue doesn't matter, what I said still applies either way...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:21 pm

And you guys act like this line was some huge, unbelievable mistake. I know you only accept Dragon Team, but c'mon.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:And you guys act like this line was some huge, unbelievable mistake. I know you only accept Dragon Team, but c'mon.
That's the one line in question for this thread, yes, but (again, as I just stated before) several other examples of this person's work were presented to you. Near as I can tell, you are literally responding the exact same way that you disagree with when people refer back to FUNimation's English dub. I think the word "hypocritical" is grossly overused online, but I'm legitimately asking you why this is the case for you with regard to subtitle translations. "It's simple" is not an answer I buy here.

Is this just a case of (what we know to be true based on recent studies) that people, when presented with evidence, tend to double-down on their existing opinions? That's how it appears to me.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm happy watching these subs. I'm that kinda guy that likes to go against everyone/popular opinions, now i will never watch Dragon Team, even if i was forced to with a gun.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:I'm happy watching these subs. I'm that kinda guy that likes to go against everyone/popular opinions, now i will never watch Dragon Team, even if i was forced to by a gun.
Good for you if you prefer to have innacurate and at time made up subs! I certainly dont!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:34 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:I'm happy watching these subs. I'm that kinda guy that likes to go against everyone/popular opinions, now i will never watch Dragon Team, even if i was forced to with a gun.
You do realize that is every bit as stubborn and, frankly, ignorant, as the exact same arguments from some factions of the dub fanbase that refuse to give the original Japanese version a chance, right? That's like...the very definition of the pot calling the kettle black.

As for the subject of the thread itself, I dunno if I'd call it an intentional jab at the fanbase, but it can definitely be construed that way after the fact. Kinda amused I didn't already notice it, heh. There's definitely some factions that are a little too focused on the power angle above all else.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:09 pm

I think every shot of Gohan getting owned is more of a jab at the fanbase of anything. :P

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:I think every shot of Gohan getting owned is more of a jab at the fanbase of anything. :P
I don't buy that they'd cut their noses off to spiderface.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:35 pm

For all intensive purposes in this doggy-dog world, the phrase is "cut the/your nose off to spite the/your face".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For all intensive purposes in this doggy-dog world, the phrase is "cut the/your nose off to spite the/your face".
:D It was a reference from The Office. I thought instead of using a straight up cliché, I'd have a little fun.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:39 pm

Which I've seen and clearly forgotten.

... Carry on!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For all intensive purposes in this doggy-dog world, the phrase is "cut the/your nose off to spite the/your face".
Hah! I love this.

That's why I decided to wait for FUNimation to get a hold of Super -- for the Steve Simmons's subtitles. I didn't want to run the risk of stumbling upon an inaccurate translation. It happened to me with Battle of Gods.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:00 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Hah! I love this.

That's why I decided to wait for FUNimation to get a hold of Super -- for the Steve Simmons's subtitles. I didn't want to run the risk of stumbling upon an inaccurate translation. It happened to me with Battle of Gods.
Eh, I like most of what he does. But over the years leaving titles untranslated is annoying. Sama is easily translateable as is something like Hakaishin. I prefer to have things translated/adapted. 'Cause no matter what a subtitle is an adaptation still/someone's interpretation. Only way you'll get the untouched version is to learn Japanese yourself.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm relatively fine with stuff like 'sama' and 'san' and all that (and actually prefer it in titles where things are particularly steeped in either Japanese or just extremely polite, like Rurouni Kenshin and Fruits Basket), but I definitely had to raise an eyebrow at a few attack names from earlier on in Dragon Ball being left entirely unstranslated in the subtitles, and without any kind of notation as to what it even meant either.

I seem to recall Nam's major attack and Roshi's electric one that he uses against Goku (when he ends up seeing the moon and transforming) both being instances of that.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:31 pm

The only argument I'd give in favor of leaving most attacks untranslated is that Vegeta has his attacks already in English, even in the Japanese version. That sort of sets them apart. If you translate all of everyone else's attack names, what's left to set Vegeta's attack names apart? At the same time, a lot of the Japanese names can definitely be a mouthful, but I think that this is the lesser of two evils.

As for "Hakaishin", I think that should follow the same logic as Kaio, Kaioshin, etc. If those are going to be untranslated, then leave Hakaishin untranslated (I have the same view with "Zeno" over "Omni King"). If one is translated, I think the others should be as well.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Of course, we have hindsight in this situation, but that would be rather hard to justify if the translators didn't know they'd reach a point where Vegeta's English sets his attack names apart from others. I'm thinking the terms of the company dubbing as they go, of course, which we know from history backfired on Funimation multiple times when they thought it okay to change certain details. It's mostly a game of how much material they have to work with, how far they can currently look ahead so that they can stay consistent, and what sounds natural when speaking the home language. I recall a rather dubious example in the translation of Medaka Box where a line from chapter one was translated differently a few arcs later and the bookend you're supposed to notice is hidden. You bring up a good point about Hakaishin, however. That would sound more natural than, "Destroyer", going by the terms they've already established for themselves but it works out seeing as they share syllable count. :)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:11 pm

El Diabeetus wrote:Eh, I like most of what he does. But over the years leaving titles untranslated is annoying. Sama is easily translateable as is something like Hakaishin. I prefer to have things translated/adapted. 'Cause no matter what a subtitle is an adaptation still/someone's interpretation. Only way you'll get the untouched version is to learn Japanese yourself.

Of course. But I don't know Japanese and don't see me having the time, patience, or means to learn it to the point where I can watch Japanese anime without subtitles any time soon -- though of course, that would be amazing. So until then, I think Steve Simmons is my go-to. In an ideal world, I would be able to watch the anime and read the manga in its native language, but that's not happening right now.