Things the Dubs did better.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krillin1994
Regular

Things the Dubs did better.

Post by Krillin1994 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Not sure if there are any topics like this that currently exist, and I'm aware that most people on this forum will say the Original is so so much better than the Dub. That being said, are there any things that people found particularly better in the dub than original Japanese?

Personally I prefer listening to the world tournament announcer in English. His goofy sort of amazement and enthusiasm for the fights always does a better job at hyping me up than in the original Japanese.
Last edited by Krillin1994 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Things the Dubs did better.

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:24 pm

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock, Goku Jr., Black Goku, Tullece, Gogeta, Gotenks, and Vegetto aren't all voiced by one squeaky-voiced old woman in the dub.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:28 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock, Black, Tullece, Gogeta, and Vegetto aren't all voiced by one old woman in the dub.
At least they are all from the same family or a doppelganger. And the dub had Sabat voice nearly every character with a deep voice. He still voices 3 important characters, two of which are mains.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:28 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock, Black, Tullece, Gogeta, and Vegetto aren't all voiced by one old woman in the dub.
Can you phrase this better? I don't think you'd particularly like to hear, "Piccolo, Yamcha, Vegeta, Kami, and eighty other characters were all voiced by a local Texan with no acting experience who then somehow got the job of directing everyone."

Neither your assessment nor my own counter-example are fair in any way.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You may be interested in this thread from late last year and this one from 2013.

Topic is slightly different though, as they seem to be specific to scenes the Dub did better, whereas this could be more a conversation as to aspects of the dub which people find better such as running jokes and characterisation etc.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Can you phrase this better? I don't think you'd particularly like to hear, "Piccolo, Yamcha, Vegeta, Kami, and eighty other characters were all voiced by a local Texan with no acting experience who then somehow got the job of directing everyone."
I wouldn't care about hearing that. I never said the dub cast was great.
Neither your assessment nor my own counter-example are fair in any way.
1. Is Nozawa an old woman?
2. Is her voice squeaky?
3. Does she voice eight different men plus two more kids?

'Cause that's literally all I said. A lot of people don't consider that a bad thing. Which is fine. But I do. Which is also fine. Bardock and Gohan in particular were really baffling choices, in my opinion.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:39 pm

How were they baffling choices? Bardock looks EXACTLY like Goku.
I wouldn't care about hearing that. I never said the dub cast was great.
But you said they did it better or at least implied it.

To answer the question, I don't know other than the trivial matter of Muten Roshi not yelling that Kuririn is the greatest singer in Japan.

Edit: the Kai dub was better than the JPN version of Kai. The dub sounded creatively invigorated whereas the JPN actors sounded off.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:46 pm

ABED wrote:How were they baffling choices? Bardock looks EXACTLY like Goku.
Both of them are literally the opposite of Goku. Bardock in particular is a hardened, mass murdering space mercenary. Any justifications about Nozawa voicing Goku go out the window with him.
But you said they did it better or at least implied it.
"Great" =/= "better". Sabat's voice isn't half as annoying as Nozawa's and he only voices two or three major characters plus some very minor ones, rather than the two main protagonists, a main villain, a somewhat major supporting character, and another half dozen side characters. Also Sabat's voice never sounds comically inappropriate for the character he's doing.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:Topic is slightly different though, as they seem to be specific to scenes the Dub did better, whereas this could be more a conversation as to aspects of the dub which people find better such as running jokes and characterisation etc.
Then perhaps this or this or this or this one. :)

It comes up far more often than perhaps people give it credit for. I list these for your own education/interest, not to make a point.
RandomGuy96 wrote:'Cause that's literally all I said.
Precisely! Please join the conversation, rather than shouting sentences into the void.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:46 pm

The Kai performance in the aftermath of the Saiyan battle was phenominal, I'd always enjoyed hearing Krillin's and Roshi's frustration in the Z dub, but Mike Mcfarland really did a stellar job at being pained about not being there.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Now that I have gotten used to the sub for dragon ball, because of super it's not as bad to me as It use to be. But in my opinion the Dub is far superior to the sub in every single way, especially in the really important scenes. I know most people on this site are sub fans, but you guys can't deny that the Father-son Kamehameha is way more epic in the dub.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Both of them are literally the opposite of Goku. Bardock in particular is a hardened, mass murdering space mercenary. Any justifications about Nozawa voicing Goku go out the window with him.
How? She's an actress capable of playing both characters. I don't see how having a character with a different personality justifies having a different actor even though both characters are related.
Also Sabat's voice never sounds comically inappropriate for the character he's doing.
There are a million different sarcastic responses to this, but instead I'll just say that of all the voices he did, it took him YEARS to sound good voicing three of them.
"Great" =/= "better". Sabat's voice isn't half as annoying as Nozawa's and he only voices two or three major characters plus some very minor ones, rather than the two main protagonists, a main villain, a somewhat major supporting character, and another half dozen side characters.
I don't see that as any worse because those two main characters are two of the most important and two completely different characters. Hell, all three major characters he played are different species. He plays over half of the Ginyu Force. Let's not forget that Sabat also voices Kami and at one point Mr. Popo.
you guys can't deny that the Father-son Kamehameha is way more epic in the dub.
We don't deny, but many of us simply don't care for Falconer in any way.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Will say I thought the flashback at the defeat of Buu was better in the dub where it was just dramatic music while in Japanese, it had Goku talking. Will definitely say that I preferred English Popo over Japanese Popo.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock, Goku Jr.,Black Goku, Tullece, Gogeta, Gotenks, and Vegetto aren't all voiced by one squeaky-voiced old woman in the dub.
It does make sense. as aften family members who aren't used so much often get voiced by the same actor. Heck, Peter and Stewie Griffin are voiced by the same actor.
ABED wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:At least they are all from the same family or a doppelganger. And the dub had Sabat voice nearly every character with a deep voice. He still voices 3 important characters, two of which are mains.
This also happens. Look at season 1 of G1 Transformers. Quite a few guys were voiced by Fred, Scooby and Shaggy.

[quote="RandomGuy96" Black Goku,
I know it might be awhile, and it's just his name, but am I a bad person in that I'm thinking of this character when Funimation gets it being voiced by Pantherlily or Mr. Sabat using his Garterbelt voice?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:02 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:I know most people on this site are sub fans, but you guys can't deny that the Father-son Kamehameha is way more epic in the dub.
Can. Will. About to do so.

The pounding music and macho voices might make the scene feel 'fuller' to some people, but it does nothing for me. The jarring music changes are horribly distracting, too.

Kikuchi's music swells right up until Nozawa lets out the most brutal scream. The music dips, and things go quiet for a bit... Gohan starts to walk forwards and the music swells up again. It's incredible.

The aftermath is silent with nothing but the atmos track playing out in the background. It lets the moment sink in for a minute before the triumphant music kicks in. It's perfect.

It feels grand and spectacular like no other version does. It is "epic" in the truest sense of the word. Check it out for yourself.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Ajay wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:I know most people on this site are sub fans, but you guys can't deny that the Father-son Kamehameha is way more epic in the dub.

The pounding music and macho voices might make the scene feel 'fuller' to some people, but it does nothing for me. The jarring music changes are horribly distracting, too.

Kikuchi's music swells right up until Nozawa lets out the most brutal scream. The music dips, and things go quiet for a bit... Gohan starts to walk forwards and the music swells up again. It's incredible.

The aftermath is silent with nothing but the atmos track playing out in the background. It lets the moment sink in for a minute before the triumphant music kicks in. It's perfect.

It feels grand and spectacular like no other version does. It is "epic" in the truest sense of the word. Check it out for yourself.
I feel that, as a general rule, orchestral accompaniment will always trump meh-sounding electronica on the grand scale of epicness.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Ajay wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree with you, in my opinion the Bruce Falcouner music fits the scene better and really nails that tension and suspense, even now it still give me chills during the last minutes of the Father-son Kamehameha. When all the sudden you see a random Ki blast and the piano doom starts playing and with Goku saying ,"Now yours chance!", with the music slowing winding up with anticipation coupled with an astounding scream yea the Z dub takes the cake for me.
Edit: I've always felt some of the slower pace and techno music, didn't fit well DBZ's more action packed atmosphere.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Ajay wrote:

Yeah, I too have to respectfully disagree as well. Amazing Japanese performances aside, the music doesn't do it for me at all. I love Kikuchi's music but I personally believe he missed the mark the end. The build up was okay though.
Team Faulconer handled it beautifully from beginning to end.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:39 pm

Regarding that debate about Nozawa above I love all of her roles except for Bardock. It really does not fit with his personality. I'm not going to go through every character she voices but for example, with Goku she manages to capture his naive, childish but friendly nature quite well. Bardock is a stone cold killer and just works better with a macho, manly voice.

I also much prefer the English voices for Babidi, Dabura and all of Majin Buu'a form in the dub, although Kai's Babidi is pretty good imo.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:44 pm

I don't think there's a single thing I prefer in the dub, to be honest.